vb:literal>

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Nominations for board members

Sounds like you have some great ideas there Dan and if I were there I would support them wholeheartedly. I was just getting active in the YoGo group in Rockhill SC, who in fact got the bid for the 2011 geocoinfest by the way along with the Charlotte group, when I got transferred down here to Georgia. Georgia is the oldest active national geocaching group in the country and very well organized as well. Unfortunately for me, work has consumed just about all my time and I have not been able to add any of my Yankee attributes to the Georgia group as of yet but give me time....LOL
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Those are some great ideas Dan, and if you are the type that can help make any of that happen then I hope you work toward them regardless whether or not you are a board member. I do think you'd make a good addition to the board, however. A few of the things you mentioned have been discussed by the board, but did not make it to the next step, perhaps you can help the site get there.
    Last edited by brdad; 01-18-2011 at 07:49 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Not returning

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    While it'd be nice to have a female voice on the board again, I don't think Sara meets one of the main requirements of being a active member on the site. But, get her to join up and post a few productive posts and I'll add her to the list! Especially if she campaigns to give free caribou meat to all!
    I am currently on the board, but will confess I did not have much of a "voice." Most of the time the discussions did not work towards my strengths which lean more to what Dan suggested. I don't post a lot or write out my opinion on a lot of the board stuff. I know that this bothers some board members. So, I will gladly step back and let a more vocal person step in.

To add some of what Dan brought up I think it would be great to reach out to the local Scout Packs and Troops. They are always looking for ideas for meeting and we have great resources to give a nice presentation and/or field trip for them to learn about caching. They even have a patch they can earn now. This would be a great step in getting a group of youth involved in our sport that already have the great values that Scouting teaches them.

Default Chadd Roper Nominated

I had posted this earlier, but it seems to have been missed, so here it is again.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Chadd Roper (Serious Tool) has consented to allow me to nominate him to serve on the board.

Chadd is a fearless advocate who loves geocaching and abhors hypocrisy and double standards. His contributions to geocaching in Southern Maine cannot be questioned and his seriousness of purpose is known to all.

I endorse his candidacy.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Fins_Up View Post
    To add some of what Dan brought up I think it would be great to reach out to the local Scout Packs and Troops. They are always looking for ideas for meeting and we have great resources to give a nice presentation and/or field trip for them to learn about caching. They even have a patch they can earn now. This would be a great step in getting a group of youth involved in our sport that already have the great values that Scouting teaches them.
    I think this is a great idea, but it also shows where I think the board's role is misinterpreted. Any member can come up with and promote these ideas. Don't wait for the board to come up with the idea or to do it for you. Don't wait until you are a board member do do so. By all means feel free to present your idea to board and they should help you in any way they can.

Some of the recent accomplishments of the past few years like the Burger King cards and the gcmaine pathtags were not ideas of the board, but of a member who thought it would be good for the site, presented it to the board, and together they made it happen. I will continue to support the site via stats and projects like the gcmaine TB and any other way I can whether or not I am a board member. I will continue to moderate as long as I am needed and Rick is happy with my doing so. I wish more members would get involved and find ways to improve and promote our site and I have posted several threads asking members to do so (For example, the Making Geocachingmaine Even Better thread.) You do not have to be a board member or donate financially to make this site/group better!

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post
    I had posted this earlier, but it seems to have been missed, so here it is again.
    It was not missed, that thread specifically stated it was not the thread for nominations.
    Last edited by brdad; 01-19-2011 at 05:40 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Thumbs up Great ideas.....

I agree with both Jason and Dan, working with a local scout troop has been rewarding for both, myself and the boys. A great way to introduce them to our sport, and promote responsible geocaching. And cultivating the relationships that now exist with land management, and land owners all over the state to insure that our sport remains healthy. I would also like to see the site head in a direction that enhances everyone's geocaching experience. Stressing the importance of proper cache placement, with permission, suitable containers, and cache maintenance. This site has been a wonderful place to welcome newcomers, thank you Bruce, and a resource for ALL geocachers. Thanks Rick for maintaining the site and I hope it will thrive for years to come.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

how long will nominations be taken? when is the vote and have we heard from all the current members as to their willingness to stay?

yes iam just full of questions hehe
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    I agree with both Jason and Dan, working with a local scout troop has been rewarding for both, myself and the boys.
    As a "lifer" in the Boy Scouts as well as the Army, I know I would have loved geocaching "back then". I was lucky enough to spend 2 weeks at the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico in 1962 (yeah - I'm that old...), and I can picture what a GPS receiver would have added to the 2 weeks we spent hiking.

Thanks for supporting the scouts!

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Having been nominated, please allow me to share a few thoughts about this "site."

Lacking any other group in place, I think this org. can do a great deal more in the area of public outreach and education. There are many terrific and knowledgable folks here and an effort needs to be made to let folks throughout the state that we can provide speakers to talk about our game. The best way to grow the sport is to promote it and the best promotions come from people that know the game and don't mind sharing their passion and skills with new players. We should have a list of speakers and contact into and the geographical area these speakers would work in.

I'd like to see our group do or get behind one fundraiser each year. Brdad's beautiful woodcarving TB has made a few rounds including the ACS Relay that a handful of us attend and support each year in Ellsworth. There's plenty of good reasons for soliciting support from our members for a cause like this. While many gave, if 25% of the members gave 5 bucks, the amount raised would be considerable.

Lastly, why not have this group and its members sponsor the type of event put on the last two years by the Southern Maine bunch. The GeoRally is a blast but not that well attended by the northern cachers.

In short, a little more active get out and do it activities.
    There is one group effort by Maniac each year that is the perfect example of outreach and service specifically encouraged by Groundspeak. The CITO event "Annual Penobscot River Clean-up by Maine Geocachers"
    Which has seen very few participants from the south.

I don't care that several years ago that there was a dust up between the north and the south. People that keep trying to infuse a difference between any of us is despicable. There is no difference between us except in your minds. The biggest problems with these events is distance.

Any attempts at encouraging or exploiting a difference is terrible. In the entire time I have been a part of geocaching I have never heard anyone say anything about a northern Maine geocachers group. However there is quit a few that have sponsored and supported SoMe geocachers. (Southern Maine geocachers).

As far as I can see there has been nothing but an inclusive effort by the board members and people above the Augusta line and a lot of separatist rhetoric from the those below that supposed line.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.