vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GeocachingMaine.og Website/Donating Members

Default GeocachingMaine.og Website/Donating Members

Quote Originally Posted by we3beans View Post
    Absolutely not! Until the finances are public I discourage folks from making donations. All other non-profits must account for and make their info public. I am NOT accusing anyone of mishandling funds. I do however, think that in order to keep someone in the future from being accused of mishandling funds the info needs to be public.
    GeocachingMaine.org does not have any "funds". There are no dues or other contributions required to join or participate in any GeocachingMaine.org functions. Any funds donated via the site are for the use of Rick, the webmaster, to offset the actual costs of maintaining the website (software licenses, server costs, etc.).

Since all donations to Rick are voluntary with the above in mind, I don't think that any accounting for these funds is necessary. Rick has previously stated the costs of maintaining the website (our resident "sleuth" Brdad can probably provide a link...), and I'm pretty sure that he remains "out of pocket" since the costs exceed donations. If there are any funds left over, I have absolutely no objection to Rick keeping them as compensation for the work he does maintaining the site. It's small potatoes, as they say in "The County"...

It was also set up this way to avoid the appearance of a "dues paying organization", which would have tax implications, etc.

(And if you've ever been to one of the geocaching events Rick has hosted (pig roast!), you know he's not getting rich from his association with GeocachingMaine.org)

Last edited by WhereRWe?; 01-20-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Bruce,
    I understand what you are saying that gcmaine contributions are just that contributions and not dues paying. And I understand that Rick is probably out of pocket on several expenses.
    I don't get how a basic accounting of the finances would make it look like a dues paying organinzation? $ comes in $ goes out. Which would you rather? And IRS agent saying "I see there is a button to press to donate $ on your website...so where is the money?"
    A simple table of some sort would be sufficiant
    Jan$
    Jan expense
    Feb $
    Feb expense

This may benefit Rick as people could then see how much he is putting into the website and may donate more.
    It is called transparency. I'm not sure why that is so objectionable?
    They say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand. Oh Look! A chicken!

I don't see a need for "transparency". We voluntarily chip in to help Rick with the costs of operating this website. What he does with the money is up to him. I don't believe he needs to account for what he does with the donations he receives. It's up to him.

If membership dues were required to join or be a member of GeocachingMaine.org, I would fully agree with you that the money should be accounted for. But that's not the case.

This may benefit Rick as people could then see how much he is putting into the website and may donate more.
    I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but the site is not a non-profit entity. I give money to Rick because the website serves a purpose and I enjoy it. If Rick makes money, fine. But I doubt very much that he has any chance of being fairly compensated.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

This thread was a good reminder so I just donated. I quickly scanned the member's list and was surprised at how few registered users were donating members.

I really could care less how Troll uses the money, it just seems right that where he has offered us something we find of value that we support the site in some way as well. From reading the posts over the last few months I know a lot of the members contribute greatly in many other ways. The easiest way for me was to make a yearly donation of what amounts to about 3 cents/day. I can afford it.

Default Imho

While the attorney in me focuses on details, there are some places where critical accounting and financial reports are not needed, and this site is one of them. If the miniscule amounts that are donated need to be the subject of audits and accepted financial reports then my guess is that site might just disappear. This is not a 501(c)(3) folks where your donations are tax qualified. This is more a less a bulletin board that attracts folks interested in all things geocaching. Let's try to keep it that way.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

This is more a less a bulletin board that attracts folks interested in all things geocaching. Let's try to keep it that way.
    I agree. It is a very good site and does not need to have an accounting by Rick. If you don't like the site then don't bother to visit it.

A house is not a home without a cat.

I myself have no problem whatsoever chipping in some money to help keep this site up and running. It's a great resource and a great way to connect with a lot of members that I don't see. I also found a former school mate of mine through this site who I hadn't seen in 30 years and we were able to get together and catch up a little bit and do some caching at the same time. From what I understand, what Rick receives from us doesn't cover all the expenses (let alone the time commitment) connected with running this site, and while I don't want to be dismissive of your concerns, we3beans, if he wants to take my $10 and go out and have a beer, I have no problem with that.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Default my last post was lost

So this is be shorter...

A. I HAVE NEVER ACCUSED RICK OF MISHANDING FUNDS. PERIOD.
    B. I know this is not a non-profit organiztion...however, using a 'donate' button implys that it is.
    C. Do people know when they 'donate' that the money is used at the discression of the site operater?
    D. With increasing talk of outreach, banners, shirts, coins, etc their is additional risk to all involved.
    E. not everyone is as honest on their taxes as you are, what if someone claims a big donation to gcmaine...and the IRS audits them, wouldn't it be nice to show them an excel sheet that says 'see look our $300 is small potatos"
    F. What if the memebership of blazenet decides they want their 'fairshare' that they deserve? wouldnt' it be nice to say this is what we have this is what we need?
    G. We are a message board made up of members who are currently getting ready to vote on a board...if the board is accountable to the memebers shouldn't the finances be
    H. I'm not talking about audits and financial reports I'm talking about
    Jan x in Jan x out for software, Feb x in Feb x out for license
    I. Sabby, that is out of line...I've been here as long as you have and longer than many others. I have donated in the past (several times, remember the ammo can @ Gegahan's...I do)
    J. Maybe if the expenses are public people will donate more becasue then they KNOW how much $ Rick is out for all the things he needed to do to keep the site running well.
    K. I think everyone owe's Rick a beer (if that is his beverage of choice).
    They say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand. Oh Look! A chicken!

So this is be shorter...

A. I HAVE NEVER ACCUSED RICK OF MISHANDING FUNDS. PERIOD.
    B. I know this is not a non-profit organiztion...however, using a 'donate' button implys that it is.
    C. Do people know when they 'donate' that the money is used at the discression of the site operater?
    D. With increasing talk of outreach, banners, shirts, coins, etc their is additional risk to all involved.
    E. not everyone is as honest on their taxes as you are, what if someone claims a big donation to gcmaine...and the IRS audits them, wouldn't it be nice to show them an excel sheet that says 'see look our $300 is small potatos"
    F. What if the memebership of blazenet decides they want their 'fairshare' that they deserve? wouldnt' it be nice to say this is what we have this is what we need?
    G. We are a message board made up of members who are currently getting ready to vote on a board...if the board is accountable to the memebers shouldn't the finances be
    H. I'm not talking about audits and financial reports I'm talking about
    Jan x in Jan x out for software, Feb x in Feb x out for license
    I. Sabby, that is out of line...I've been here as long as you have and longer than many others. I have donated in the past (several times, remember the ammo can @ Gegahan's...I do)
    J. Maybe if the expenses are public people will donate more becasue then they KNOW how much $ Rick is out for all the things he needed to do to keep the site running well.
    K. I think everyone owe's Rick a beer (if that is his beverage of choice).
    I'm really having difficulty understanding one point. You prefer not to donate/contribute to the site for the stated reasons.....certainly valid reasons as you see them....and if this was a wee bit bigger operation/business/entity then perhaps it would be appropriate to ask for a clearer accounting. Like many, you choose not to contribute monetarily, but contribute in other ways such as posting, a feature and benefit of being a GCM.org member. Again, while your points may be valid, the comments border on being accusatory in nature and being stated with vigor. That's the part I just can't understand.

At any rate, I happily contribute to the site to maintain servers, software upgrades, etc and continue to proudly display to GCM.org logo/link on my cache pages.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.