Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: GeocachingMaine.og Website/Donating Members

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dedham, Maine
    Posts
    351

    Default

    If I'm reading this correctly no one is concerned, disennting opinions are not welcome and I should just gather my things and go (Dubord, Haffy, Sabby).
    Way to listen to both sides, have an open mind and be courteous.
    They say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand. Oh Look! A chicken!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by we3beans View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly no one is concerned, disennting opinions are not welcome and I should just gather my things and go (Dubord, Haffy, Sabby).
    I disagree. People may disagree with you, but the fact that there are many comments in this thread means that this is a good discussion, and many opinions have been offered. Your opinion is very welcome, but please don't take personal offense if opposing comments are blunt.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade, Maine
    Posts
    953

    Default

    IMHO, anyone who would try to claim a donation made here on their taxes are the ones who need help. This isn't a charitable donation. It's a donation to help run a website connected to a *hobby*. I honestly find it hard to believe that the IRS would go very far beyond asking what the donation supported before they'd disallow the claim.

    The only real issue I can see is that the IRS might ask Rick to account for the donations as income for himself but then he can show a greater loss than gain so wouldn't that be a wash as far as the IRS is concerned?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    I am not concerned personally because I'm not the one financially at risk. I am not overly concerned where my donation goes because it is a small amount and I've wasted more than that on a lot less. I am concerned in in the fact I'd like to see the site survive and prosper. That is why I am listening to both sides and even offered one possibility whether it was totally stupid or brilliant. For any of us to say it is or has to be one way is not good for the conversation.

    Ultimately this is Rick's decision because he bears the burden. Whether this thread serves any purpose for one side or the other depends on whether he desires to keep things the way they are for now or if he would like to consider it.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Default

    I don't think suggesting that people DON"T donate to this site is consistent with having an open mind and being courteous. That was you opening salvo that solicited from me a clear and pointed response, ie a dissenting opinion to what you were suggesting members here ought to do. You needn't gather your things and go, just be prepared to defend yourself if you take what I considered a cheap shot to this site. Just because you seem to be in the minority here doesn't mean you're not entitled to your opinion. Trust me, log here enough and you will eventually find yourself on the receiving end of criticism from time to time. I've seen my share and have learned from it. Don't take it personal.


    Quote Originally Posted by we3beans View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly no one is concerned, disennting opinions are not welcome and I should just gather my things and go (Dubord, Haffy, Sabby).
    Way to listen to both sides, have an open mind and be courteous.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hampden, ME
    Posts
    891

    Default Well, wait a minute......

    Quote Originally Posted by we3beans View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly no one is concerned, disennting opinions are not welcome and I should just gather my things and go (Dubord, Haffy, Sabby).
    Way to listen to both sides, have an open mind and be courteous.
    I have to disagree as well. You're correct....there isn't a lot of concern. In my case, I want to hear and from time to time debate, dissenting opinions. And even though I may disagree with a member's opinion, I sincerely am interested at least hearing it and the defense of it.
    You may gather your things but keep an open mind......I think you already do.....and hang around a bit. You've been caching a fair bit and I've enjoyed your hides. It'd be a shame not to contribute.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    [x, y, z, t]
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I don't think suggesting that people DON"T donate to this site is consistent with having an open mind and being courteous.
    Neither is saying to someone with other opinion to pack his stuff and F off. Just saying.
    Moo

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Default

    Nobody said anything like that, Cano. Not even close. It seems we3 found some of the responses to be lacking in courtesy. Truth is, the responses were fair responses to his initial post. Nobody even came close to suggesting he pack his stuff..... I hope he continues the discussion and like the rest of us, he's entitled to his opinion and of course the responses he will receive whether in support or in opposition. Isn't that the nature of the game?


    Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Neither is saying to someone with other opinion to pack his stuff and F off. Just saying.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dedham, Maine
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    If you don't like the site then don't bother to visit it.
    This looks like don't dissent.
    They say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand. Oh Look! A chicken!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dedham, Maine
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    If the meager funds that run this are an issue to a cacher, then please don't waste your time here. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    This looks like twice I was told not to visit.
    They say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand. Oh Look! A chicken!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •