vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Fairfield

Welcome to this great hobby, and to the Geocaching community! And congratulations on "Old 470" as your first cache! I have to say our team tried that a fistfull of times before finally making the find! I second all the great advice offered so far. And as Fins_Up said, be sure to check out the previous logs to see what kinds of comments folks have had about a cache...and one of my own personal faults has been forgetting to re-read the cache title! More times than I care to admit I've been stumped, only to have another member of the team remind me of the title, which can sometimes hold additional hints. And whereas you're beginning this hobby in winter, be sure to check the cache attributes on the right side of the cache listing for "Winter Friendly," which is the picture of the snowflake. And also realize that "Winter Friendly" sometimes means the cache is above the snowline, and sometimes means that the cache location (geographically speaking) is still accessible in Winter, although the cache may be under the snow (in which case you should bring a "poking stick"). Enough from me...welcome again, and hope to see you at an event!!

-ampmdp

Old 470 is a good hide and a tuff one for old and new. I got advice yelled from the conductor of the train that keep going back and forth on the tracks. You may get hints from unsuspecting sources.

You have embarked on a great adventure. Caching will point you to the most beautiful and wondrous places that only a very few have encountered. From the mountain tops to the depths of lakes and ponds, this adventure has just begun for you.

Don't be afraid to ask questions as there are a lot of things that can help you on your journey. The events are a great way to meet the local cachers and see some of the equipment and tricks we use.

Welcome.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Come Spring time be sure to wander out to little ol' Unity . . . there are several caches out this way . . . many are not winter friendly though.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by RattKat View Post
    I have to admit this was our second attempt at finding Old 470. We had stopped on a Sunday morning right after church and didn't find it. We looked at the clue that day and wanted to give it another shot. Brdad TFTH
    Greetings from Oakland! You will find that this area has a large number of active, really cool cachers! It's a terribly addictive habit that can be frustrating and so very rewarding. For me right now, I'm in frustration mode. So far this year I'm 0-14.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Greetings! I used to live on Bunker Island in Fairfield (the "exwife" is still there) and I'm very familiar with Fairfield. There are many great caches to find within 10 miles of you and you will have great fun finding them. Welcome to geocaching! You're going to love this sport.

Speaking of Fairfield I used to live there just 4 plus years ago before moving down here to Georgia via SC for 3 years but was wondering if my old cache Mill Island Park multi has been removed? I've sent a couple of emails to Gump and Gumpette concerning it's removel but have gotten no replies to my request. Could anyone who has found it before check that out for me. Thanks Haffy
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

It has been archived. I DNF'd it and no long after they disabled it and then archived it.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Come Spring time be sure to wander out to little ol' Unity . . . there are several caches out this way . . . many are not winter friendly though.
    I wandered down to Unity last summer and had a great day. I need to go back and get the rest of them - some nice hides there FFJ!

OP it took me two tries to find Old 470 - congrats on it being your first find!

FFJ has some great hides in Unity and surrounding towns making it well worth the trip. I have truly enjoyed doing all of is hides.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright