vb:literal>

View Poll Results: Should we Retain an Advisory Board for GeocachingMaine.Org?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 82.76%
  • No

5 17.24%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Have or Have Not: Need an Advisory Board?

Keep in mind that we are not an official club of any type. The advisory board is no only for Geocaching Maine as a group. It is also for the web site and to help keep it organized and to help with any immediate decisions that need to be made for the web site or the group in general. If we left it up to a discussion in the forums it would take weeks or months or even longer to get resolved. In some cases an answer is needed within days or less.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Keep in mind that we are not an official club of any type. The advisory board is no only for Geocaching Maine as a group. It is also for the web site and to help keep it organized and to help with any immediate decisions that need to be made for the web site or the group in general. If we left it up to a discussion in the forums it would take weeks or months or even longer to get resolved. In some cases an answer is needed within days or less.
    As JustKev said there has been no harm so no foul. If Attroll likes to bounce ideas off of an advisory board to administer this site then I can see no issue. I would abstain from a vote in this matter as it has little impact on Geocaching in Maine and as for how Attroll chooses to brainstorm and add or delete content is totally up to him. I think it is admirable actually that he has found a successful way to harness ideas and advice to keep this site fresh.

I think there has existed an implication that the "Advisory Board" is an official voice for Maine geocachers which is not the case. It has been made very clear, adamantly in fact, that the board simply wishes to confine itself to the operations of the forums and the GeocachingMaine.org site. With that said, the past and present board members have done that job well.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I think there has existed an implication that the "Advisory Board" is an official voice for Maine geocachers which is not the case. It has been made very clear, adamantly in fact, that the board simply wishes to confine itself to the operations of the forums and the GeocachingMaine.org site. With that said, the past and present board members have done that job well.
    True, very true. And I hope you checked the link I provided regarding the discussions when the Advisory board was set up (cannot be accessed by most members, but TRF can...) That should refresh your memory and clarify a lot.

after working all weekend and just now being able to catch up on the forum it seems that some folks just want to cause hate and discontent. the reason for a 4 person ADVISORY board is that Rick would like a SMALL cross section of the members to bounce Ideas off of when any member brings something to him just to insure he is getting a well rounded perspective it seems to me. and while I am very new on the site some folks seem to make me wonder why rick does not just shut the site down and open a facebook page with like minded geocachers. I for one would not like that because I have learned a lot from just reading old threads and seeing the new trends on the forums. sory if I have upset any one that is not my intent just my observation in the past 1/2 hour of catching up.

26 votes. 21 for and 5 against. I think we can call this myth busted.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    The other option would be to farm out the advisory board to who ever McAfee farmed out their customer support to. Good grief.
    Ain't that the truth! Spent forever explaining that if I have a 3 pc subscription, that leaves 2 more pcs after I intall on one! It took them a while but they decided to work with me on this "issue".

Default Yeah, a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    Ain't that the truth! Spent forever explaining that if I have a 3 pc subscription, that leaves 2 more pcs after I intall on one! It took them a while but they decided to work with me on this "issue".
    I have the 3 PC license, have it installed on 3 PC's and upgraded from 32 bit to 64 bit on one, which results in a format of the hard drive. Upon reinstalling it took me several minutes to get them to understand I still only have their product installed on 3 PC's.