vb:literal>

Thread: good geocoin etiquette

Question good geocoin etiquette

I am not sure if this is the correct place for this thread, if not please place in correct area. I have a couple of geocoins that I have been given or found and I know I should have logged them but have not yet. I do not really have any interest in collecting geocoins, I enjoy the hikes and hunts the most. so my question is should I try returning the coins to their owners or pass them along to others who do collect them. I know that team horwitch had all of his stolen this past summer and if passing them on to someone else I was thinking that might be a 1st offer to help them restart their collection. I do not want to offend anyone though by either giving them away or back if it is not the "right" way to do it. I have no intention of selling them on ebay as I have seen some in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by surfacewarrior View Post
    I am not sure if this is the correct place for this thread, if not please place in correct area. I have a couple of geocoins that I have been given or found and I know I should have logged them but have not yet. I do not really have any interest in collecting geocoins, I enjoy the hikes and hunts the most. so my question is should I try returning the coins to their owners or pass them along to others who do collect them.
    IMHO, if the coins were given to you as a present, they're your to do with as you please. Personally, I'd like you to show up at the WWWWWW7 event, and donate them as door prizes. LOL!

Not sure all would agree, but the norm is to try to place a coin you take in a different cache within a couple of weeks. It's really a bad idea to grab a coin and not log that you took it. The owner will wonder what happened and there are cachers who target caches with TB's or geocoins.

If you take a TB or Geocoin, read what the owner wrote as to what the mission is. If you find a coin in Kittery, and the owner wants to see the coin travel south, don't move it to Bangor or Fort Kent.

The key is to log it promptly and not hang on to it. When I first started caching I put a lot of high end ( 15 bucks or more ) coins out and they are all missing except for one. Most were simply picked up and kept, ie stolen as I say.

To get a feel for this, you might want to put a few of your own out to see what happens. It's really fun when they go a bunch of miles, but not good when the go missing, are grabbed by a new cacher who doesn't know better, or get placed in a cache that is rarely visited or doomed to be archived.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I think there are two different assumptions between the last two posts, either answer could be correct, but it comes down to if the coins are activated and belong to someone else?

In other words, if you enter the number on the coin into gc.com, does it take you to a page showing who owns it, or does it say it is unactivated?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I think there are two different assumptions between the last two posts, either answer could be correct, but it comes down to if the coins are activated and belong to someone else?

In other words, if you enter the number on the coin into gc.com, does it take you to a page showing who owns it, or does it say it is unactivated?
    Sheesh! Definitely! I assumed that they were unactivated "presents" that wree given to you by the owners. Brdad is right. If you picked them up in a cache, they need to be moved (bring them to the WWWWWW7 event and we'll make sure they're moved along).

Check the numbers on GC.com to determine their status.

one was given to me by the owner at an event , Beer and wings, a couple of months ago. the othe is a path tag that I know is not an official geocoin thet specifically said it did not need to be moved along and to keep it. i got it in one of my earliest caches and now that I have learned more I would like to see about moving it along to someone that likes/collects them. TB's I do try to move along fairly quickly the one from Beer and wings I went out and place the following day. I have two right now that I need to movwe but one is quit large and needs to go into a large cache. I Have to be in Mass for the WWWWWW 7 event or I would be there, I was a recruiter in Waterville and Big-G's is still the best sandwich/ breakfast place in Maine. thinking about it I might try to hook up with someone in this area that is coming and send you what I have to pass along because I do not like just sitting on them even though I have not been able to go Geocaching for the past few weeks.

DUH. I work in the same building with TAT. if he is coming I will send them by him.

The 4 coins I have donated to the wwwwwwwww event will be unactivated so whoever gets them can do what they want with them.....although I'd like to see them placed.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

this morning while snow blowing, 4TH TIME THIS WEEK, will it be OK for the groom to bring a door prize to the wedding?

maybe one of them is a pathtag and those you don't have to move along. There are plenty of people who collect those and I'm sure someone at the event would love to have it.