vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Camping 2011

Default Winter Camping 2011

Some of us have winter camping experience that we can share with people that are going to give it a try. The Winter Camp out is coming up on March 5th and I thought we could start sharing ideas again. Backpacker Magazine had a great article on winter camping this year. Here's their on-line link. http://www.backpacker.com/beginners-guide-to-winter-camping-/destinations/13781
    Last edited by Kaching Karen; 02-06-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Default Sleeping ideas

From "Backpacker Magazine."
    a) flatten your sleeping surface before you crawl in your sleeping bag.
    b) Use a closed-cell sleeping pad. (NOT an air mattress that draws cold air)
    c) Put your partner's pad close to yours
    d) Stash your boot liners in the bottom of your bag (I don't do this because mine are not dry)
    e) don't sleep with your head in your bag. Moisture from your breath will get trapped in the bag.
    f) Keep a midnight snack handy; fuel to keep your engine warm.
    g) Watch the frost in the morning. It will be inside your tent. Try not to knock it on to your sleeping bag and pad.
    h) Don't hold IT. Bring a pee bottle or apparatus or get out and do your duty! Your body burns calories to keep urine warm.
    i) Bundle up your water bottles (I put hot water in mine, throw socks on them and throw them in my sleeping bag before bed time. I'm lucky none have ever leaked) or your could...
    h) Bring a couple of hot water bottles to put in your bag.
    i) Prevent spills. Keep your sleeping bag, pad and clothes dry!

A note from me.... a very warm sleeping bag or layers is a must. If you bring a sled you can can bring layers of sleeping bags and blankets. If you start to shiver get warm! Try an energy bar first. Wake someone up and see if they can dig up some more layers or sit by the fire with you, or borrow a tent warmer. We'd rather have you warm than....

I pack fresh non-cotton sleeping gear in my sleeping bag and socks, hat and mitts. I toss a lot when I sleep.

Jon and I bring a closed foam pad and a therma-rest to sleep on.

Keep alcohol consumption to a minimum before bed time. Alcohol will chill and dehydrate you.
    Last edited by Kaching Karen; 02-06-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Wink ~Or~

You can do what I do, and bring a 3000 btu propane heater and have a 70 degree tent for when you crawl in your bag as well as when you get up. Please note: I DO NOT have it going when I am sleeping. That would be bad and maybe deadly since it would use up the oxygen and maybe light the tent on fire. Long story short, I will have it if someone gets too cold. I will have a warm tent to help you out.
    Happy Trails!

Default Hmmmmm.....

Deleting post but dont see a delete button.
    Last edited by dufzor; 02-15-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Want to delete off topic post.

Default Then there was 2009

Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    Why does this duet immediately come to mind?
    GAL: "I really can't stay..."
    GUY: "But baby, its COLD outside!"
    GAL: "I have to go away..."
    GUY: "BUT, baby its COLD outside!"
    That was the year I needed a 3000 btu air conditioner.
    Happy Trails!

Great reading,Karen,thanks. I have never winter camped ( how can I be a true geocacher????) ...just a camper during down pours when they called out the National Guard. I found out I did not know how to prepare for camping during downpours.... The heater thing sounds like my kind of winter camping.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

I don't get the part about 'don't sleep with your head in your bag'. I have winter camped and when I wake up that mummy bag is covering as much of my head and face as posible. Its the only way I can keep warm.

Sleeping with your head in the bag can add a lot of water (from your breath). It won't always be a problem since bags are made to pass some vapor. The more water vapor in the bag, the colder you'll be. I carry a separate blanket and use that as a tent over my head.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    I don't get the part about 'don't sleep with your head in your bag'. I have winter camped and when I wake up that mummy bag is covering as much of my head and face as posible. Its the only way I can keep warm.
    A mummy bag is designed to enclose most of your head, but even when all the draw strings are pulled tight your mouth and nose won't be covered. Most of us will be camping for just one night and this problem won't become a serious issue, but for those who do extended stays outdoors in the winter months moisture can be a huge problem.

Default Camping List

A pretty good camping list.

http://www.d.umn.edu/~kgilbert/rec12...ipmentList.pdf

I added snowshoes, loaded GPS, sleeping gear (hats, mitts), and a lantern to the list. Maybe a deck of cards, books, hand/toe warmers.