vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mapping software for Palm?

Default Mapping software for Palm?

Help!

OK. I wish I could have made the recent Cache event because I have several questions on paperless caching (I can PM an excuse if needed). My biggest question is about mapping. If I could get maps on my Palm 515 I could be totally paperless. I have cachemate and can import caches with no problem, I can also put those coords. on Delormes Street Atlas or Topo. Then what? I have a freeware version of SOLUS that allows me to export one very low quality map from DeLormes to my Palm. What do people recommend as far as mapping goes? Should I get different software and if yes; What? What do other folks do.

I'll apologize now as I'm sure this is probably an old topic that has been discussed everytime a newer member gets hooked on caching

Thanks In Advance

Trezurs*-r-*Fun
    Steve

I use my Palm for mapping. I have the Delorme Topo on it. I put the whole state of Maine on it. It would be the same as carrying the Delorme Gazzetter with you. I absolutely love it. I don't even carry the gazzetter with me when I cache anymore. I can make route with plan trips with it. I am not famliar with the Palm 515. But I think it would do it.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I use my Palm for mapping. I have the Delorme Topo on it. I put the whole state of Maine on it. It would be the same as carrying the Delorme Gazzetter with you. I absolutely love it. I don't even carry the gazzetter with me when I cache anymore. I can make route with plan trips with it. I am not famliar with the Palm 515. But I think it would do it.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Street Atlas for Handheld he only Delorme map you can out on a handheld? I have it, and it isn't too bad. (I also have Street Atlas for PC and Topo USA for PC, so I've had a pretty good chance to evaluate them all.)

http://delorme.com/software.htm

But depending on your GPS, I'd recommend Garmin's Mapsource City Select on the GPS and forget the maps on the PDA. The maps on the GPS are so good, I never use the PDA maps anymore.

FWIW...

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I use my Palm for mapping. I have the Delorme Topo on it. I put the whole state of Maine on it.
    Rick, how much memory is in your Palm?

Default Memory

Glen, I have Street Atlas Handheld and I have all of Me, NH, Vt and parts of Mass. too. I use a 128mg expantion card on my Palm Zire 71. Plenty of room to spare too.
    Happy Trails!

Hey Steve,the only trouble with those darn events are that you never get a chance to learn anything,you're so busy meeting other cachers and having a good time. At least that has been my experience lately...lol. I have a Palm Zire 71 like Mainiac has plus a 1 Gig expansion card which is enough for maps for the WHOLE USA I am told and still havent figured out how to get the maps on it. I am not very techie when it comes to stuff like that. Maybe if you figure it all out you can help me....lol.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    Glen, I have Street Atlas Handheld and I have all of Me, NH, Vt and parts of Mass. too. I use a 128mg expantion card on my Palm Zire 71. Plenty of room to spare too.
    You just gave me the incentive to start putting more maps on my Zire 71 - I've got 256 meg! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    You just gave me the incentive to start putting more maps on my Zire 71 - I've got 256 meg! LOL!
    Holy Fricken Moly!! Now I have Palm envy. My PalmIII only has 2mb. Guess it's time I move into the 21st century.
    Last edited by Cache'n Jacksons; 06-22-2005 at 06:31 AM.

Can someone maybe, if it is not too difficult please make a tutorial up on how to get maps from my computer to my handheld. I have Delorme Street Atlas for handheld on my puter. Can they be transferred by way of a card reader to the handheld? And also how does one put the caches onto the map once they are on the handheld? Hope that isn't too much for some of you to handle? Maybe they could put them into PDF form and then we could just download the whole file. Maybe there are some tutorials out there that I am not aware of. Thanks for any and all help.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Haffy, send me a nice 256MB Palm and I'll get right on it! Seriously, I had messed around with that sometime in the past and I thought the map went over when you did a HotSync. Dunno how you tell the software to send it, but I imagine it's in the Help somewhere. Delorme has a page on compatibility and cables needed here, and they have a Getting Started guide here. Hope this helps!