vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mapping software for Palm?

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    Can someone maybe, if it is not too difficult please make a tutorial up on how to get maps from my computer to my handheld. I have Delorme Street Atlas for handheld on my puter. Can they be transferred by way of a card reader to the handheld? And also how does one put the caches onto the map once they are on the handheld? Hope that isn't too much for some of you to handle? Maybe they could put them into PDF form and then we could just download the whole file. Maybe there are some tutorials out there that I am not aware of. Thanks for any and all help.
    Me too! I'm probably having the same problems as Haffy. I emailed Brad to see if he'd give us a tutorial - perhaps he'll post it here.

I keep getting errors when trying to export maps to my PDA...

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    Can someone maybe, if it is not too difficult please make a tutorial up on how to get maps from my computer to my handheld. I have Delorme Street Atlas for handheld on my puter. Can they be transferred by way of a card reader to the handheld? And also how does one put the caches onto the map once they are on the handheld? Hope that isn't too much for some of you to handle? Maybe they could put them into PDF form and then we could just download the whole file. Maybe there are some tutorials out there that I am not aware of. Thanks for any and all help.
    If I had a copy, Hint, Hint, Hint I bet I could help figure out how to get maps onto the handheld. I don't have Delormes "Handheld" and that may be the answer to my problem.

Oh, WhereRwe?, my old eTrex personal navigator doesn't support maps; it has an arrow that points the way and if I could fly I would have it made. LOL Therefore, to go totally paperless I either have to use my PALM for mapping or upgrade my GPSr to something that supports maps. Using the PALM would be my least inexpensive option and that is the one I will explore first.

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    If I had a copy, Hint, Hint, Hint I bet I could help figure out how to get maps onto the handheld. I don't have Delormes "Handheld" and that may be the answer to my problem.
    That is most likely your problem. You have to have Delormes Handheld for it to work.

But for everyone that does have the directions on how to make Topo imports into you Palm. Street Atlas is pretty much the same way.

1. Open Topo or Street Atlas.
    2. Now go to the MAP DISPLAY tab on the program.
    3. In Topo only I take the check marks off everything except Exits, Roads (Minor), Urban Area Color. This way it will give me a map that will not be such a big file but will be everything I need. You can include all more things but keep in mind the more you have the bigger he file will be and you may have to get a bigger memory card for you PDA. If you do it the way I just mentioned it should only be just under a 3MG file. I have enough memory on my PDA that I can switch between maps. The other map includes a lot more and is routable. This map is a little over 18MG.
    4. Got to HANDHELD EXPORT. On Street Atlas is pretty much the same.
    5. I leave my DATA EXPORT LEVEL on 10-0 on Street Atlas you must be in to zoom level 8.
    6. On Topo I now zoom out so that I can see the whole state of Maine.
    7. On Topo click on the arrow just under the data export lever and then click each block until you have all of Maine colored in. In Street Atlas click the Arrow that says EDIT and and then click each block until you have all of Maine colored in.
    8. Now in the FILE column replace the name in there with the name you want to save it as and then click save (this will be the picture of the computer disk).
    9. Now you’re done with Topo and Street Atlas.
    10. Open up your PalmOne Quick Install program.
    11. Click ADD
    12. Find the file you just created. It should be in C:/Delorme Docs/Mobile Maps.
    13. Once you have the file listed then drag it from the top box to the bottom box which will move it to the expantion card.
    14. Now you can close the your PalmOne Quick Install program.
    15. Now do you Hot Sync.
    16. Now your done and your maps should be all set you will have to select that map to be used though.
    Blazing Troll

Well, I followed you excellent instructions and still get the same error - insufficient memory (for a 5 meg file), although I show that there is 238 meg available on the SD card.

I wonder if I have a bad card? I have other files on it that work, though.....

Sheesh!

Well I don't know what I did to my Atlas but now I can't even access it. I never did get it onto my Palm to begin with,I had used the wrong user name when I first hotsynched.So now all I get is an error message. I tried to do a system restore but that didn't do a thing for it either. So now I have Delorme on my PC that doesn't do anything and nothing on my Palm. The trials and tribulations of high tech living I guess,but it still sucks.....lol I even tried deleting it all and reinstalling it but that did nothing either.oh well.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Exclamation I had the same problem

That's why I had to save the maps to a file and actually drag them to the card using a card reader acting as another drive on my computer. Doing it that way worked fine for me. Hope this helps.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    That's why I had to save the maps to a file and actually drag them to the card using a card reader acting as another drive on my computer. Doing it that way worked fine for me. Hope this helps.
    I think I may have solved my problem. Somewhere in my system there is an old map file that wants to be written to the base memory, which created the "not enough memory" error. I THINK the maps I want are now on the expansion card, but when we get to Moncton, New Brunswick tomorrow night, and I hadn't had any maps for the last 300 miles, I'll try and transfer the maps to the SD card using my card reader.

LOL!

Oh, Wow! I pulld out my card reader and saw that it already had a card in it.

Tried Brad's suggestion and WOW! Works great. Just create the map files on the desk top, send them to the card, and it's FAST! Definitely the way to go!

Thanks.