vb:literal>

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Paperless caching

with easy GPS or expert GPS software. You can do a batch upload. I will change the alpha-numeric waypoit name to a close resembilance of the cache name. Then when I'm out I can do nearest waypoint. Then I can check the PDA for the description. Viola...paperless. If you put a big enough area in you can go caching where ever you happen to be. I run PQ to only give me new caches so when I convert them for cachemate it'll only be the new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass Gyrl
    This may sound really dumb....I only input waypoints on my way to caches...therefore the waypoints stored on my GPS are usually only found ones. Can you upload a whole PQ to your gps? how?
    All this technology and you're punching in waypoints one by one?

Assuming you have a cable for your GPS, there are several ways. The simplest is probably to use EasyGPS.

I usually sort my PQ and just enter my unfound caches into my GPS. Then I try to remember to delete the waypoint after I get back to my car (But anyone that has noticed what my memory is like knows that doesn't happen all the time).

Paperless caching is the best thing since….well you know.

Seriously, you will never go back once you’ve tried it. A good friend and legendary geocacher icon from Upstate NY (Rusty O Junk) introduced me to paperless caching. He showed me his setup and within 2 weeks I had ordered a PDA and have to say its one of the best investments you will ever make (from a geocachnig point of view). I use GPX Sonar and Mapopolis on my PDA and I find that those are the only two programs I need and they compliment eachother.

If you are a premium member you can download pocket queries with up to 500 waypoints per querie.. I have a separate querie for each of the states I cache in. VT, NH, NY and (soon to be) Maine and also a separate querie for all my found caches. I have them scheduled to be delivered at the end of the week so that I always have the most current /updated information.

I carry my PDA and GPS with me when I travel. I will look up on Mapopolis where the nearest caches are and then switch over to GPX Sonar and get cache information. Most all the important info on the cache page will show up on your PDA including the hint which can be decrypted (should you need it) by just selecting the text. It will also show you if any TB’s are in the cache and will give you the last 4-5 log entries.

It really is wonderful and you will love it. I think Rusty has sold about 4 people and (maybe more by now) on this latest technology. If he got a commission he could give up his fulltime job and geocache fulltime instead.
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    I get two pocket queries - one of my found caches, and one of my unfound Maine caches.
    That's a great idea. I can't believe I never thought of that. I've been getting 2 files, one with all the nearest caches I haven't done and don't own and one with all the nearest caches.

Smile

My idea of paperless caching is when I forget the print out at home. I have used EasyGPS but find myself more often than not just punching in the cords by hand like Bluegrass Gyrl, on the way there. What I would like to see is something like a Delorme Maine Atlas "special edition" with all the caches in it and info on each in the front or back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh and friends
    My idea of paperless caching is when I forget the print out at home. I have used EasyGPS but find myself more often than not just punching in the cords by hand like Bluegrass Gyrl, on the way there. What I would like to see is something like a Delorme Maine Atlas "special edition" with all the caches in it and info on each in the front or back.
    I actually mark a Delorme atlas with all the caches, and highlight them when I find them. But I still need the cache info in my Palm. Some people say I'm addicted, but .... oh wait, there's a new cache to mark....
    Last edited by brdad; 07-01-2004 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh and friends
    What I would like to see is something like a Delorme Maine Atlas "special edition" with all the caches in it and info on each in the front or back.
    Boy, something like that would be outdated the minute after it was printed. I have trouble just keeping my PDA & GPS updated with the newest caches.

I think the only way to get something like that is do this is to do what brdad does and do it yourself.

I just create a file,lets say I call it Maine caches.All my queries go into this file and when I open up CM Convert, I drag this file into it and cachemate downloads all of them at once the next time I do a hotsync. I think we ought to have someone at the next event give us all a demonstration of the different ways that we can go paperless. Maybe someone could bring in their laptop and PDA and such and we could see how easy it really is. I am still a newbie to all this but am starting to get the hang of it slowly but surely. I see Parmachenee and The "G" Team have laptops and maybe they could give us a demonstration. What does everyone think? Myself, I learn better if I see it done once or twice than trying to figure it out on my own or through instruction booklets,but thats just me. That probably doesnt make much sense but thats the best I could do. Haffy6

Thumbs up Great idea, Haffy...

I will put together a little demo of PQ, GSAK, Streets and Trips and MapSend. Hope the have the "Caches along a route" thing totally figured out soon. Also, have a new HP iPaq coming so will be learning that too.

Michael

Anyone take a laptop with them on long caching trips? Anyone use a cellular modem with their laptop? I've taken it with me on a couple of trips where I was able to plug the laptop into the phone at a motel, but we're going to be doing a lot of camping this summer and in the future, and I want to be able to use the laptop...

Comments?