vb:literal>

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Paperless caching

Default Paperless caching

Could someone briefly explain how paperless caching works? Can you somehow download the text from a cache page to a PDA?

If you are a paying member of gc.com, you can download individual cache pages in a GPX format, which includes The cache coordinates, description, hints, And the last 5 logs.

As a member, you can also download Pocket Queries (Again, in GPX format). You are allowed 5 queries per day, and each query can include up to 500 caches. These files contain all information mentioned before, plus any logs you have made to the cache page.

From there there are several options depending on what you are using for paperless hardware. I have a palm, so I use a program called cachemate ($7) which will convert the GPX file to a format the palm can use.

Paperless caching is great! I get two pocket queries - one of my found caches, and one of my unfound Maine caches. If i ever get side tracked (which happens often!), I always have all Maine caches loaded in my PDA.

If you use a Laptop, you can use a program like Watcher to view the GPX files.

There is also an alternative tutorial on paperless caching at Geocacher University

We have an old Gateway P2 laptop that works great with Watcher. As brdad mentioned, you can do queries with numerous filters, up to 5 a day, and store them on the laptop. We still need EasyGPS to download the waypoints, but it is much faster in bulk. You have all the info on the cache page, including the last 3-4 logs. This has already saved us from wasting time on a cache that had been removed. We bought an ac/dc power inverter for the car so we don't have to worry about the battery going dead. You can make and store notes for each cache for reference later. You can sort in many different ways...especially sorting in distance from a particular cache can be helpful. Multi-caches can be a problem...you either have to make notes or print these out beforehand if you know you are going to do them. We definitely prefer it on a road trip.

I just started paperless this past week and boy do I like it. I have cachemate on my Palm Zire 71 that I got from Smittyware.com for only 7 bux, well worth every penny.I get pocket queries that I just hotsync into my palm and I'm all set to go. I do have both Watcher and GSAK on my home desktop but I really don't use it or havent seen any need for it right now.Going down the road I just look for nearest cache and look it up on my palm and head right for it,well with a little help from my Maine Gazetteer.Pretty cool if you ask me and it helps save a tree or 2 also.

I use Plucker on my PDA...I can't see how to do searches like you describe Haffy...How do you sort the list so you can get nearby caches. It seems I can only sort by cache name (alphabetical) or my cache ID. Is it a limitation of plucker?

Well none of my caches are nearby for me now...lol I have an idea which direction I am heading and then watch my GPS in the car and nearest caches and just go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass Gyrl
    I use Plucker on my PDA...I can't see how to do searches like you describe Haffy...How do you sort the list so you can get nearby caches. It seems I can only sort by cache name (alphabetical) or my cache ID. Is it a limitation of plucker?
    I think Haffy uses his GPS to see the nearest, then looks it up on the PDA.

But with cachemate, you can sort from a cache or from coords you enter. It takes a minute to do the calculation, but I've used the sort function a few times and it's real handy! I don't think plucker can do that, but I never played with it much.

Yep that's how I do it.

This may sound really dumb....I only input waypoints on my way to caches...therefore the waypoints stored on my GPS are usually only found ones. Can you upload a whole PQ to your gps? how?