vb:literal>

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Paperless caching

Default Or...

Is it better to do all the mapping on the gps and leave all those other mapping programs on the PC.

Smile IPAQ and Mapopolis Success Story

Finally, after a little frustration and some encouraging words from fellow cachers, I have made the last leap into paperless caching. Using GPXtoMaplet feature, you can get the cache locations onto the mapopolis maps. The directions are located on this page. http://www.mdgps.org/modules.php?name=pocketcaching I still have a little tweaking to do...but this looks like it might work.

Although, I think I'll miss my Gazetteer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cameoooooo
    Finally, after a little frustration and some encouraging words from fellow cachers, I have made the last leap into paperless caching. Using GPXtoMaplet feature, you can get the cache locations onto the mapopolis maps. The directions are located on this page. http://www.mdgps.org/modules.php?name=pocketcaching I still have a little tweaking to do...but this looks like it might work.

Although, I think I'll miss my Gazetteer!!!
    Believe me - unless you're bringing a laptop with Topo USA on it, you'll
    STILL be glad you have the Gazetteer!

Smile Street Atlas for handheld

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber

All that you describe is the same approach that I have taken with the exception of one piece. You said that you use "street atlas for pocket" - is that Street Atlas for Handheld? I have tried that and have not been able to accomplish plotting the caches. DeLorme tells me it is not possible with SA HH because it does not have the "draw" feature. Or do you mean that you use Street Atlas 2005 and then transfer it all to PPC?

Your right it is Street Atlas for handheld, After I import the txt file that lists all of the waypoints (Cache's) into Street Atlas on my computer I hit the exchange button tab on street atlas, When it asks what to exchange I hit the draw file and all of the waypoints are transfered into my pda, I then run street atlas on my pocket pc and all the waypoints show up on the map. I can route to them and everything right from there. I carry no paper maps or anything, just the pda. I just upgraded to 2005 and still plying around with it, I think 04 was a bit easier but i have accompished the same results with 05

Trackspv

Red face Still need assistance!

My first challenge is that I can't get the txt file into Street Atlas Handheld.

Can you outline the steps that you take to accomplish that?
    Where is the exchange option?
    And where do I find the draw file?

I have looked and looked and looked! Haven't found these - perhaps they are staring me in the face. To be honest, once DeLorme told me that it wasn't possible to accomplish this with Street Atlas Hand Held, I tried another software. I'm very interested to see if I can make this happen as you have!!

Thanks!!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

I have looked and looked and looked! Haven't found these - perhaps they are staring me in the face. To be honest, once DeLorme told me that it wasn't possible to accomplish this with Street Atlas Hand Held, I tried another software. I'm very interested to see if I can make this happen as you have!!
    You can't do it with SAHH alone - you need either SA for PC or Topo USA to be able to export the draw layer to SAHH on your PDA. Stupid as it sounds...

Don't know why Delorme did it this way. Maybe they wanted to be able to sell 2 versions of software instead of just one!

Thumbs up Paperless kinda

After alot of help from other cachers, Tat and Team Kai. I have decided half of my problem is my laptop. I have decided to take my laptop on the road. I have GSAK and will be installing SA 05 on it this week. Plugged into truck power I will soon be on my way. Thanks to all who have helped, including those encouraging posts. Paper, or paperless it's still the adventure. Just look for the white Tahoe with the dish on the roof. LOL
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Cool

My first challenge is that I can't get the txt file into Street Atlas Handheld.

Can you outline the steps that you take to accomplish that?
    Where is the exchange option?
    And where do I find the draw file?

Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    You can't do it with SAHH alone - you need either SA for PC or Topo USA to be able to export the draw layer to SAHH on your PDA. Stupid as it sounds...

Don't know why Delorme did it this way. Maybe they wanted to be able to sell 2 versions of software instead of just one!
    WhereRwe is right, I forgot that I had already installed street atlas for pc BEFORE I installed street atlas for handheld, When I installed Handheld I only installed the files for the pocket pc. Sorry if I misled you.

Im not sure if I have ever used SA Handheld by itself on a pc other than when I first got it. I do remember it was missing alot of cool features that came on the pc version thats probably why I kept using it. It does everything by itself you just need to have handheld the device files so it will run on a handheld device.

Quote Originally Posted by trackspv
    Im not sure if I have ever used SA Handheld by itself on a pc other than when I first got it. I do remember it was missing alot of cool features that came on the pc version thats probably why I kept using it. It does everything by itself you just need to have handheld the device files so it will run on a handheld device.
    I don't think I've ever used SAHH on the PC. Once I installed the program on the Palm, all I ever use is SA (PC) or Topo USA, downloading maps/waypoints to the PDA.

Red face whew - thought I might be crazy - lol!

Well, perhaps I am crazy, but that has nothing to do with paperless caching - hehehe

Thanks for all the discussion and direction! This is what I understood the situation to be, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something along the way.

Bruce - do you use a palm os or ppc? I think it might be different for the two technologies because I know that Brad has been able to get the waypoints plotted into his palm using the SA HH version.
    ~ Beach Comber ~