vb:literal>

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Paperless caching

Quote Originally Posted by parmachenee
    If your palm has bluetooth capability, you can get a bluetooth gps from Delorme that requires NO wires. You will only need to connect the power adapter to your palm since it won't last as long as the bluetooth gps. It also is pricey but I like it.
    I have one of these and find it to be very hard to use. I prefer to carry my Legend. The bluetooth gps is very hard to get lock on...and when you do...you better not move! Does anyone else have one?

Unhappy Paperless with a pocket PC

As some of you know, I have been working diligently at moving to paperless caching. I am just about there! Unfortunately, I have been stuck trying to figure out how to import cache waypoints into the SA HH maps. I have talked with a number of people and have tried a bunch of approachs to no avail. I learned from DeLorme today that the SA HH version of their software does not have the draw tab needed to accomplish the import (WHEW! Guess it wasn't pure stupidity on my part after all - LOL- THAT'S a relief!!). The SA 2005 version of the software does allow this transfer of information, however.

So.......if you are using a PPC, you need not try the SA HH version. I'll let you know what happens when I try the SA 2005 version.

I'm not sure that the trees I am going to save from not printing the cache papers is going to compensate for the trees I must be consuming by writing these checks for all these pieces of the paperless puzzle! LOL I guess the real question is whether PPC was the right investment for me - perhaps I should have just gone with Palm OS - seems more straightforward for this application. Oh well - who knew I would become obsessive compulsive about geocaching - hehehehe

You can use either SA (PC) or Topo USA to import waypoints to the PDA. I just did a survey for Delorme about my impressions of SAHH, and I really let them know that this was a deficiency in their program. I'd bet 75% of people using SAHH use it for geocaching!

But having SA (PC) is great as you can put the waypoints on the map, and then print a copy of the map with waypoints to make it a lot easier to plan/organize your geocaching trip. As you find the caches, you can also cross them off on the map to keep track of the ones you've done.

Other caches may have different methods, but this really works for us.

Default Streets and Trips

BC, have looked at MS S&t? It has an option to export to Pocket Streets.

(I hate to get so locked in to MS, but it seems to work easier on the PPC platform than third party software.)

One additional advantage: S&T is has much more Canadian detail.

Smile Choices!

I looked at both SA 2005 and Streets and Trips tonight. Actually before I read the e-mail from DeLorme. Will get one or the other - not sure which quite yet.

Thumbs up Paperless with Street Atlas

I use a hp 2215 pocket pc with a compact flash gps receiver, I use street atlas for pocket with great success.

I start by using Gsak on my computer, I receive the gpx file with over 300 waypoints, I open it with Gsak, I then export them to a Street Atlas Text File, Go to Street Atlas and Import them to a draw file. I then use the exchange tab to transfer it to my pda. It shows every geocache location right on the pda. I can create road routes or direct routes right to any of the waypoints. I also use gpx sonar to view all of the logs and stuff right on the pda.

I started geocaching about a year ago, Already owned the pda and gps and have never printed a sheet of paper.

Thumbs up Exciting!

Welcome!!

That's fantastic! I'm so excited to have another PPC user to talk to. We are a rare breed it seems.

All that you describe is the same approach that I have taken with the exception of one piece. You said that you use "street atlas for pocket" - is that Street Atlas for Handheld? I have tried that and have not been able to accomplish plotting the caches. DeLorme tells me it is not possible with SA HH because it does not have the "draw" feature. Or do you mean that you use Street Atlas 2005 and then transfer it all to PPC?

I am now playing with Microsoft Streets and Trips. I have been able to establish cache waypoints on my PC and then transfer map sections to my PPC. I am now trying to work through two issues. If I can resolve these I'll keep using the software, if not I am going to can it. They are....
    1. I have not figured out how to send a large area such as a map of Maine, either with or without the caches indicated. It only allows sections at a time which is ok, but I would rather have the entire state.
    2. Though I establish various sections (i.e. Southern Maine, Mid Coast, Downeast, etc.) and export them as individual map sections with unique names, I have trouble accessing information in each of the unique files. It displays information only from one of the maps. For example - I open the Southern (after closing the other one) and see the Southern Maine information again.

Anyone out there using this software? Anyone have any suggestions (besides dump it all and get a Palm!!! LOL )
    Last edited by Beach Comber; 02-11-2005 at 07:42 PM.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Thumbs up Palm!!

I like the Palm!! Of course, having a laptop on extended road trips is nice because you can import those caches to an overlay and view the whole state at once to get a feel where you want to go or the route to take. This is using Street Atlas USA.

Smile Paperless Roundtable

I'd like to welcome trackspv to the site. Great to have you and your family here. Look forward to seeing you guys on the trail!

Now BC, don't give up yet! We'll figure it out. I'm still playing with Mapopolis and the maplet feature. I hoping that this will be the answer!

Talking My persistence will pay-off on this issue!

Oh, believe me - I'm not giving up!! As it stands today, I can go caching without paper. Just have a bit of fine tuning to do.

Now we will have opinions to share about the 3 lead products for PPC - DeLorme Street Atlas, Microsoft Streets & Trips, and Mapopolis. That's fantastic!!
    ~ Beach Comber ~