vb:literal>

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Paperless caching

Default Gsak

Probably not Tat,but for me, using Palm ,I didn't know about GSAK til after I had already purchased Cachemate and just got used to using that application. I know that you can download the HTML files directly from GSAK now ,so if the time came I would probably just use GSAK. I havent even touched the surface of GSAK for what it can provide and do,but there is a learning curve to it also and Cachemate is pretty user friendly.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Woah! Cachemate and GSAK are for different functions. GSAK is great for managing your cahce list, but Cachemate is for the actual "find" - it has cache descriptions, hints, previous logs, and the ability to log your comments for later transcription to the net.

GSAK is great on the laptop if you're in "the field", but it doesn't export this to the PDA - or does it?

Red face What a quagmire - lol!

I was under the impression that one needed in interface between GSAK and the Palm or PPC. Seems the top choice (at least amongst Maine cachers) is Cachmate. GPXSonar is a very similar product that I use with my iPAQ. To be honest, I haven't downloaded directly from GSAK to my PPC. TAT, is that what you do? I believe that Cameo and trackspv also use GPXSonar.
    Last edited by Beach Comber; 02-22-2005 at 09:59 PM.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Default GSAK to PPC, directly

GSAK can dowload the HTML files to a PPC. Pick: File, Export, HTML files and then just drag them to the PPC.
    GSAK also loads a nice index page with sort by name, unfound, etc. Also, at the bottom of each cace page, is a list of the nearset caches, with found caches in bold.

WereAreWe: "it has cache descriptions, hints, previous logs, and the ability to log your comments for later transcription to the net"

I know the HTML has descriptions, hints and previous logs, but I don't know about the ability to log your comments. I haven't figured out an acceptable way to use any PDA for typing, so it's a mute point for me!

Of cource, if you use a Palm, you do need Cachemate (or some other app.)

I guess I need to take a look at GPXSonar sometime!

Smile Pocket Streets 2005

Okay, so at least now I can say that I have tried another mapping program. Back to mapopolis...but before I do, can someone help me? I tried to download maps for the new Pocket Streets 2005 and the website doesn't even list Maine as one of the state options. I was able to find it in the 2004 downloads, but the map stops short just north of you guessed it...Portland. Hmmmm....maybe I'm missing something like being able to transfer the map from Streets and Trips to Pocket Streets? No big deal, just kinda curious.

Exclamation Hmmmmmm

Do you have just Microsoft Pocket Streets? or Streets and Trips with Pocket Streets included? I believe you will need both. I think you will run into the same problem as we recently realized with the DeLorme product in that you need both the PC version and the handheld version to get them to your PPC.

I recently purchased Microsoft Streets and Trips that included the Pocket PC software. Got it at Staples for $39.99 with a $10 rebate.

My challenge so far is that I cannot load the entire state at once and have to send "segments" or "areas" of the state to my PPC. Other than that - it works well.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Default Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    Do you have just Microsoft Pocket Streets? or Streets and Trips with Pocket Streets included? I believe you will need both. I think you will run into the same problem as we recently realized with the DeLorme product in that you need both the PC version and the handheld version to get them to your PPC.

I recently purchased Microsoft Streets and Trips that included the Pocket PC software. Got it at Staples for $39.99 with a $10 rebate.

My challenge so far is that I cannot load the entire state at once and have to send "segments" or "areas" of the state to my PPC. Other than that - it works well.
    It was you that told me about it! I kept thinking about the rebate and saying....hmmm...maybe I'm missing something really cool. So I went out and purchased Streets & Trips 2005 that comes with Pocket Streets. I was able to see how to send from my laptop to the PPC, the segments. Haven't figured out exactly how that will work just get.

I think it's about time somebody chimed in with the perfect software....a nice mixture of all three would be nice!

Smile Gpxsonar

When I receive my updated gpx file from GC, I update my gsak file, I then create a new gpx file right into mydocs folder on my pda, I then open that file on my pda with gpxsonar and it lists the caches with Type,TB's, Distance, Diriction, Difficulty, Etc. Etc. When You select one It looks just as though you are looking at the GC website with the exceptions of the maps and some other small fetures, It displays the logs and If you want the hints u just highlight a blank area and it shows right up. You can also make field notes on each one. There is a way to send it directly back to gsak but I haven't done it. I usually will just write myself little notes that only I can understand anyway and then I log them on the internet using the notes just to help me remember what we did at the cache.

You can also use Gpxsonar to Export the waypoints onto certain gps units or to a loc file. I haven't used these either because my gpsr is connected through my cf port directly.

It will also create MS Street & Trips push pin files for Cameoo and beachcomber.

Trackspv

Wink Another round......

I've been able to create pushpins for the cache locations on the maps and love it. I was so excited the first time I transferred the info and they all popped into the map - I'm sure my family was convinced that I had flipped my lid - LOL!

I did my first semi-paperless caching a few weeks ago and liked it. This past Friday, I was able to go completely paperless - it was great!

Are these things happening to you, Jeff.......

1. I found that in GPX Sonar when I made field notes that it carried the information from one field note into another. For example - I made a note in the field note for Etna Bog and closed that cache. I then opened the field note for Plymouth Cache and the same information I had written in the Etna Bog cache was there.

I have not figured out how to send a large area such as a map of Maine, either with or without the caches indicated. It only allows sections at a time which is ok, but I would rather have the entire state.

3. Though I establish various sections (i.e. Southern Maine, Mid Coast, Downeast, etc.) and export them as individual map sections with unique names, I have trouble accessing information in each of the unique files. It displays information only from one of the maps. For example - I open the Southern (after closing the other one) and see the Southern Maine information again.

Thanks a million!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber

1. I found that in GPX Sonar when I made field notes that it carried the information from one field note into another. For example - I made a note in the field note for Etna Bog and closed that cache. I then opened the field note for Plymouth Cache and the same information I had written in the Etna Bog cache was there.

Boy that would be frustrating, When we make field notes it doesn't do that. It treats each one as a new note. I just havent ever transfered them to anywhere. They are usually full of misspelled words and such because I use the transcriber and I don't write that neat so it only recognizes about half of what I write, I can usually translate later when we do the postings on the net.

I do not have streets and trips so I can't help you with those other questions.

Trackspv