vb:literal>

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Paperless caching

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    We did our first paperless cache last weekend. It was great not having to carry the papers with you. We did not find the cache but it was still great not having to carry a folder around.

We did Old Speck Spectacle and looked in every hole and crevice and could not find the cache. I would like to know if it is still there. But now all I can do is wait to see if the next person finds it.
    Not to be too off topic, but I found Old Speck Spectacle to be very hard to find. We looked a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Geomaineiacs
    Not to be too off topic, but I found Old Speck Spectacle to be very hard to find. We looked a long time.
    We looked a very long time for it to. We did not want to walk back down after doing that far up. So we looked real good. The hints said it was right close to the trail there is a arge rock with a hole somewhere arouind it. We looked in every hole and around every rock up and down the trail for 75 feet in each direction. We even went off the trail for a bit. Oh Well maybe I can find someone at the picnic in Sept that has found it and find out if it is missing. I don't want to get into to much detail and have someone give it away here in case it is still there.
    Blazing Troll

Smile PDA w/GPSr built in

Anybody using one of these new pda's with the gps built in? Any luck with them?

I saw a HP PDA with a GPS bluetooth logger in action last night. WOW! Double WOW! Very nice set up...it will set you back over $500.00. They had Mapopolis installed and it gave verbal directions which was very cool. In the meantime, my Legend is sitting on the dash still trying to lock a sat or two...

Quote Originally Posted by cameoooooo
    ...They had Mapopolis installed and it gave verbal directions which was very cool...
    Verbal, as in "It's under that pile of sticks over there, dummy!"?

Default ha ha ha

Well, not THAT good...but pretty close...Turn here, turn there, turn around, your going the wrong way kinda thing.

Anyone using Street Atlas USA Handheld for paperless caching? I have Street Atlas and Topo USA, and am able to upload waypoints to Topo, but not to Street Atlas.

Any suggestions? Hints?

I have a Palm Zire 71, an eTrex Legend and a laptop that go with me all the time now.

I have the same issue. You can create a waypoints in Street Atlas but not with coordinates. You can only use the GOTO function and then touch the screen and it will be close but not accurate.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I have the same issue. You can create a waypoints in Street Atlas but not with coordinates. You can only use the GOTO function and then touch the screen and it will be close but not accurate.
    Well, there is a way, but you have to also have Topo USA. You can upload a set of waypoints to Topo from the GPS, then to the PDA. They will show up on the map downloaded to the PDA from Street Atlas. But why doesn't Street Atlas use draw layers like Topo does? I thought that would be a "fix" in Street Atlas 2005, but I guess not. Can't really see any improvement in 2005 over 2004...

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Well, there is a way, but you have to also have Topo USA. You can upload a set of waypoints to Topo from the GPS, then to the PDA. They will show up on the map downloaded to the PDA from Street Atlas. But why doesn't Street Atlas use draw layers like Topo does? I thought that would be a "fix" in Street Atlas 2005, but I guess not. Can't really see any improvement in 2005 over 2004...
    I am also disapointed in 2005 vise 2004. I also have Topo 5.0. I will have to try what you said. I have the whole state of Maine on my PDA with Topo 5.0. But I do not see any of my waypoints on it. Did you have to save it as a routable map to get the waypoints on it?
    Blazing Troll

Default Confused

I think you guys have me confused. I can enter coords on my PDA in Street Atlas then mark and name it. I assume this is not what you are trying to do,right? I use this feature when I link the Zire and the Vista together. With a waypoint marked on the map it gives me a map overlay to drive to a cache,or as close to it as roads allow.This is not as effective as doing it on the desktop,but works. As for as SA 2004 vs 2005. I like the fact that the roads (ie interstates) are updated. You can now also have multiple routes on at the same time which may be handy too.I guess we can figure it out next weekend. The weather IS going to be cooperative,RIGHT!!!!!!!!! Talk to you all soon.