vb:literal>

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Paperless caching

Question

So, which progam are you guys reccommending for mapping on the Palm?

-RanMan22

Question I need help!

I have been dabbling with this paperless thing for a few weeks. I've been sorta successful but I'm stuck now. Here's what I've got going:

I was able to transfer all my waypoints to my gps using GSAK. (WHOA!)

I have a pocket pc and have been using GPXSonar and I really like it so far. I was able to load all my waypoints in there so I have all the cache pages and info and logs right on the pda. I also have a bluetooth logger GPS thingy...and have mapopolis as my mapping software.

So whalla! I've got it right? But this is what I'm thinking...

Is there a way to enter all my waypoints to the mapping software on the pocket pc so that when I tap it, the cache info page opens up??? I'm just wondering. Maybe it hasn't been invented yet? Maybe I just have the wrong mapping software?

I understand how you can look at the waypoint name, then go look at it in the sonar thing...but I'm lazy and thought if I could just *TAP* it...that would be sweet!

Red face Another cacher trying to go paperless....

Ok - I am re-energized about paperless caching and am on my way to getting things set up - thanks Steve, Brad, Haffy, Dave, Lee, and everyone for the motivation and support as I maneuver through this process - somewhat frustrating and irritatinig one I might add - LOL!!

My challenge at the moment is that cachemate is not compatible with my iPAQ Pocket PC. Seems I am definitely in the minority here when it comes to handheld model. I see Zires everywhere, but no iPAQ's. I'm looking at a few software options on the internet, but wanted to check here and see if anyone else is using a Pocket PC and also doing paperless caching. If so......help! Which software are you using to download information into your handheld?

Thanks a million for your help!

I've never used it, GPXSonar is recommended by the maker of Cachemate.

http://gpxsonar.homeip.net/default.aspx

Default Ipaqs

Judy, I know Tat and Cameo both use Pocket PC. Maybe they can help you.

Red face Another question ... or two ;)

Holy Smokes - this is going to consume my day - lol - and yours too perhaps if you keep checking the posts!

Question about GSAK and importing info from your PQ. I have numerous pages of caches listed in my PQ that I want to import into GSAK. It is only importing the first 20 (on the first page). I tried establishing each page as a separate file and importing into GSAK that way, essentially leaving existing information in GSAK and adding to it with the new file (page 2 of waypoints from my PQ). It doesn't add them.

It also appears that the PQ only allows you to check the caches to upload waypoints for one page at a time. Is this correct? Seem like there MUST be an easier way!

Thoughts, help, direction appreciated!!

Default PQ's and GSAK

When I get a pq, it is sent in a zip file. If I want the pq to be a new database in gsak, I create that database, say name it Jan23. Then I open the zip file with gsak and my Jan23 database contains all the caches I queried for. When loading a pq into an existing database, gsak will overwrite the existing caches with the new pq unless you tell it not to in the options menu. I hope that helps. I'm not sure I understood what you were doing.
    Last edited by parmachenee; 01-23-2005 at 02:30 PM.

Default Pocket Queries

BC,

Downloading 20 points at a time:
    I think I know what you are doing, I did the same thing at first. When you edit the PQ, you have the choice of running the PQ once or on a certain day. Unless you pick a certain day, you will not receive the email containing all of the caches. Either way, you will see a page of 20 caches. You can download 20 at a time, but there is no need. If you cannot get the site to send the email, post again I'll try a more detailed explaination.

PocketStreets:
    If you are using PocketStreets, there is an export feature in GSAK.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by tat; 01-23-2005 at 02:43 PM.

Default The saga continues

I'm playing with the GPX Sonar software, but am having a tough time figuring out how to import the information from GSAK. I am planning to use Street Atlas and once I have that in place perhaps this will all be more apparent, but I understand that I should be able to transfer the information into my iPAQ without having Street Atlas in there yet.

I did get the full PQ into GSAK though - COOL!! Now just have to get that info into GPX sonar and my GPS.

Ai yi yi - If this keeps up, I'll hold the record for number of posts - lol!
    Last edited by Beach Comber; 01-23-2005 at 04:17 PM.

Thumbs up More info in Groundspeak forums

I have in the past if I couldn't find what I was looking for in here was to use the Groundspeak forums. You have to remember they have access to the whole world of caching not just from what membership we have in here. I just did a search of GPX sonar that Beachcomber was looking for and came up with all kinds of hits. Maybe someone else has used those forums as well. I know I have on many occasions and have always gotten great responses. In fact just the other day someone from Missouri was looking for a Maine cacher to help him out with a locationless reverse cache and I obliged him. The waypoint name for that cache is GC3153 if anyone is interested in them. That was pretty cool working with someone from as far away as Missouri. Now I am doing the same thing with my name and a guy in Iowa is helping me out with mine.....way cool. Anyway just to show what benefits forums are and to use them whenever you get a chance, they are very informative.
    Last edited by Haffy; 01-23-2005 at 05:30 PM.