vb:literal>

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Paperless caching

You know what would be a great idea. We should have a cache event just for the purpose of PDA training. Like using cachemate, GSAK and other programs. All we need to do is have a computer there with all the needed software and have someone familar with it give a class on it.
    Blazing Troll

That's a good idea. I've been paperless caching for a while and love it, but I keep hearing about things that are interesting - or done differently than I do - and would welcome the advice.

And if you nitice in the thread listing, this thread has been viewed 1,700 times, so there IS a lot of interest out there...

It would be great if we can get a location where we can get internet access of some sort as it will make the instruction a lot better Make it a picnic in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn?
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 01-23-2005 at 05:47 PM.

Thumbs up Excellent idea!!!

And don't forget we would have to have people informed with both Palm OS and Pocket PC cause they both use different software applications. Heck of an idea. Maybe Frank can get the use of the school where he taught and use the schools computers or something... Just a thought I know I need all the help I can get. GSAK has so much to offer and I haven't even scratched the surface of how to use that yet,just the basics.

Default Great idea!

Count me in!!

Default Plus

It also saves on our environment by not having to use paper to do all that printing and ink isn't very cheap either. Save a tree if you can I always say. I'm not a tree hugger now mind you but just more environmentally concerned as we all should be.

Ipaq and GPX Sonar.

BC, hope this helps...this is how I do it. I am still in the learning stages as far as the mapping goes...so not as good on that category.

I'm not sure how your going about getting your pq together. I go to "my" cache page, click on run pq's. That will bring up a rather detailed checkbox form that I can filter the caches that I want included in my pq that will get emailed to me later. (Doesn't really take that long, but is not immediate.)

Once I get the email from gc.com with my PQ, I unzip it. Then I move that file manually to the SD card of my pda. I do not go through GSAK to move the caches to my pda. Then when I open Sonar, I select the file and it loads the caches. I used brdad's idea of a file for my unfound caches, and a separate file for my found ones. This combination puts 591 (or so) caches on my pda, and it takes me about 30 seconds.

I use the GSAK to download my waypoints into my gps only. Not sure if you are at that point yet or not.
    Last edited by Cache Maine; 01-23-2005 at 06:13 PM.

Default Mt. Agamenticus

Mt. Agamenticus has a lodge that is available starting the last week of April. The York Rec Dept manages the room, and charges $0, $100 or $300, depending on the use. If I could get this, for this year's Mt. Agamenticus Event, would there be enough interest? Like Haffy said, we would need to have several people to cover the topics.

I went to a seminar last year where they covered:
    1. GSAK
    2. Palm/CacheMate
    3. PocketPC

They did not discuss mapping or all the other software procucts such as Sonar, Spinner, etc.

I know GSAK fairly well and can (probably) supply a couple of PDAs.

I don't think we would really need an internet connection, since the only thing that is needed from in the internet is the PQ files, which can easily be downloaded in advance. And, the three items listed alone would take longer than most attention spans.

Default Downloading Caches to the PocketPC

GSAK has an export feature "HTML Files".

Export the files to a directory on your PC. Then, use windows explorer to drop and drag the files to your PDA.

If you use the "Search", "Filter" you can organize the caches any way you want. Keep in mind that sorting by found and not found is a little redundant becacuse GSAK lists found caches in bold.

Default Paperless?

I just got GPSr. Having only done this for a month, I can attest to the amount of paper we've accumulated. I would like to know what to buy and how to use it. Count me in too. Besides I have an 11 year old to help me when I faulter. Where are the best sources for a PDA?

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt
    I just got GPSr. Having only done this for a month, I can attest to the amount of paper we've accumulated. I would like to know what to buy and how to use it. Count me in too. Besides I have an 11 year old to help me when I faulter. Where are the best sources for a PDA?
    eBay!!! (Although I bought my Palm Zire 71 as an "open box" item from PalmOne (http://store.palmone.com/shop/index....goryId=1309886)