vb:literal>

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Paperless caching

Arrow IMHO (In my humble opinion)....

I know lots of people like to shop through eBay. Me...I'm more of an instant gratification shopper and want to leave with the technology in hand so I bought mine at Circuit City. Any store like that will give you a variety of good choices.

The big decision will be whether you want the traditional palm pilot technology or the pocket pc format. They both have their pros and cons.

I picked the iPAQ because it was most like the Microsoft format that I am familiar with. Easy to use - very intuitive - if you are used to the Microsoft Office programs it will be an easy transition. I can't really tell you how it compares to the palm world with brands like Zire as I am not really familiar with them. Perhaps others who have made a handheld purchase can tell you why they chose palm over pocket pc or vice versa. What I can tell you is there seem to be many more people who are using the palm format for paperless caching as compared to those of us using pocket pc.

Perhaps you would want to be brave and join the smaller group of us - LOL - or maybe not. I'll let you make that call

Talking Mission Accomplished!

After much direction from fellow cachers, a bit of time researching GPX Sonar on geocaching.com, and a bunch of hours playing, I am finally paperless!! Yippeeeee! Now, all I have to do is get out there and try it out.

I can't wait to install Street Atlas and play with that as well!

Thanks to all who helped me - this looks like it is going to be great!!

Thumbs up Great resource

It appears I am talking to myself - LOL! Oh well, that won't stop me - hehehe

Wanted to share a great resource I found while working on the paperless caching project. This is from the Maryland Geocaching Society. I have also added the link to the "Links" section of this website.

http://www.mdgps.org/modules.php?name=pocketcaching

Wait until you've done a few caches the "paperless way". Then you'll REALLY appreciate it.

Thumbs up Thanks

I've been home sick today. I spent somtime surfing. Came across a few web sites and I find there are alot of different ways to do this. Thanks for the help and directions. Geocaching University had a list of printable directions.Welcome to Geocacher University!

Default To all GSAK users

I use GSAK but just for the basics like storing all my PQ's and sending to my GPS. I was wondering how I can just send my unfound caches to my GPS in stead of everything that I have in GSAK? I know there must be a way but I haven't figured that part out yet. Help!!!

Why not just use EasyGPS, Haffy? I didn't mention that option last night...

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    I use GSAK but just for the basics like storing all my PQ's and sending to my GPS. I was wondering how I can just send my unfound caches to my GPS in stead of everything that I have in GSAK? I know there must be a way but I haven't figured that part out yet. Help!!!
    Haffy -

Create a filter in GSAK. Go to Search, Filter, and then set the parameters for whatever you want. I do this all the time forwhatever area I'm going to be caching in. Yuo can cave this filtered list and download it to your PDA.

Default Thanks

Thanks Bruce that's what I was looking for.The one problem I had was if to check archived/unavailable or not,so I unchecked it and it sent me the unarchived ones too which I didn't want. Guess I'll have to play around with it to understand it a little more. But at least I have all my unfound ones and not everyone of them now. Thanks again. Any more lessons on GSAK?

Default GSAK & PQ's

Between the filters on the PQ's and the filters on GSAK you can pretty much control whatever you want to view. I have created databases for various caches such as: found, not found, Rochester area, NH, VT, etc. I can combine the databases, update them, filter them to upload to my pda, my mapsource maps, or gps...it's a great program to fit most of your needs. Play around with it.