vb:literal>

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Paperless caching

Yeah, GSAK is a pretty complex program but it will do almost anything with the data, so keep playing with it...

Default Almost ready to leap

I've spent many hours surfing. Here's what I have come up with. First there are many ways to go paperless. I think I have settled on the following: Palm Zire 31 I dont need a 72. GSAK and cachemate. Will this get me going and am I missing anything? Is there a LTF in here? LOL Can I also install Delorme Street 2005 on my PDA and do I need it for my laptop as well? Wow, that I think covers it for me. Thanks to anyone who helps.

Default Sounds like a plan

As long as the 31 has an expantion card slot you should be all set. The handheld maps do take up a bit of room. The memory on the 31 wouldn't be enough for very much. Other than that it sounds like you have about the same setup as I currently use. GSAK is a very powerful program. It does take a little bit of getting used to. Once you learn how to use the filters it becomes a great asset to caching. Good luck and keep asking those questions

Default Sounds like a good setup

Sounds like you are on the way to paperless caching. I know I have heard a lot about the Delorme software for the PDA and that is what I currently have but have not been able to place it on my palm as of yet as my current PDA is being returned. Beachcomber posted a good site that comes from the Maryland geocaching society that you might want to check out. They have a great comparison of 3 different software applications and the one that stands out even above Delorme is called Mapopolis.Take a look at it before making any decisions about Delorme. Made me think about this as well even though I have Delorme for handheld. Makes me want to change now but it will give you something to think about. I know decisions,decisions,decisions!

Default More info

I think you have just about everything covered Team2hunt. The 31 is plenty as long as you have enough memory for any map software that you might be using. I have Delorme For Handheld 2005 on my PC which includes the whole USA and when I decide to download the New England states you should have a slot for the extra memory that it will take.You might want to ask someone who has it how much memory it will take before investing in extra memory cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    I think you have just about everything covered Team2hunt. The 31 is plenty as long as you have enough memory for any map software that you might be using. I have Delorme For Handheld 2005 on my PC which includes the whole USA and when I decide to download the New England states you should have a slot for the extra memory that it will take.You might want to ask someone who has it how much memory it will take before investing in extra memory cards.
    I have a 256MB card in my Zire 71, and with all of Maine's map and waypoints, there is 90% of the card available. I've tried to add a lot more maps, but when you put a lot on, the maps seems to load SOOOOO slowly. I'd recommend just keeping the maps of the area you usually cache in - like Maine - and then add other maps for each area you're making a trip to (deleting the map when you return).

And I have Delorme Street Atlas handheld on the PDA, and the PC versions of
    Street Atlas and Topo USA on the laptop. It's great to be able to upload the waypoints to the laptop and then print a map with little flags showing the waypoints. Makes it easier to plan your route and saves time by limiting the need to backtrack.

And since WiFi goes hand in hand with paperless caching, I've found a pretty good listing of WiFi locations. Here's a link to the Maine sites:

http://ibs.jiwire.com/browse-hotspot...aine-me-22.htm

And a link to the complete listing as well:

http://ibs.jiwire.com/search-hotspot-locations.htm

I've posted the links on the links page.

Default Need help

Since I don't have a PDA for a couple of weeks I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has or has used the Mapopolis software? From what I have read on the link that Beachcomber so kindly posted by the Maryland geocaching society this software rocks. They have a demo you can download at the Mapopolis site,so can someone maybe try this on their PDA and gives us a lowdown on it....please. It sounds like it is even better than the Delorme software but I would like to hear that from another cacher in here.

Post Mapopolis

From a previous post Cameoooo says she has it. See post from page 6, I think. Thanks for the help got the 31 today, it has an expansion slot so we will soon see. I can smell the fresh air through the trees allready. Go paperless and save a small forest. Thanks again.

Default Check it out

Haffy - you can download some sample maps on the mapopolis website. I've downloaded a number of counties and have been playing around with it. You can only do a couple at a time, but if you exit out of the website and go back in it will let you do 2 more - a bit of a pain, but I wanted to see a wider region than a single county. Not sure that I like it yet. Doesn't seem to be as easy to use as the DeLorme Street Atlas that Brad showed me on Saturday. But I admit I have very limited experience with both products. I'm going to compare the two and I'll share my observations with you - for what they are worth - LOL!!!
    Last edited by Beach Comber; 01-26-2005 at 08:57 PM.