vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas in March

Hybrid View

Default Las Vegas in March

I am headed to Las Vegas to cache, was wondering if anyone else is going to be in the area from March 10th thru March 16th. I heard there is a road that stretches for miles and has over a thousand caches on it.

Road I don't know. Power line yes and there are quite a few.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Default ET Highway

I went out there a couple of weeks ago and took a run north to do a few of these caches. Here's what you need to know.

The caches start just outside Alamo NV. It's a paved road, straight as a dart for many miles, not much traffic and there's a micro every 600 feet or so, most on the right side of the road if you start in Alamo. While none of the hides are real difficult, you will have to look around to find them. There are no trees so they're on the ground. I was warned to be careful of rattlesnakes due to the warm weather bringing them out of hibernation while I was there. Lady said " They ain't quick this time of year, but they'll bite you real good if you step on one!" I paid very close attention but saw no snakes.

The ride north from Vegas is right though the mountains, beautiful, straight roads with a 75 MPH speed limit. I did all of that and more and didn't have any issues with the local police who just motioned me to slow down a bit (THat was when I was in the mid 90's)

I did 200 in 5 hours and I was humping. If you go with somebody, then the sky is the limit. If you're staying in Vegas it will be 2 hours each way just to get to Alamo. There are 2 hotels in Alamo and not much else that I saw.

Coords on most of the caches were perfect...duh, there's no trees to interfere.

You'll get buzzed by fighter jets somewhere along the way... a real rush to have an F-18 pass 100 feet over your head with the afterburners on!

It was a lot of fun, very SMR'ish. Have fun!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default You do know...

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I was warned to be careful of rattlesnakes due to the warm weather bringing them out of hibernation while I was there. Lady said " They ain't quick this time of year, but they'll bite you real good if you step on one!" I paid very close attention but saw no snakes.
    You do know it is with a great deal of difficulty that I am refraining from comment on this, right?

All kidding aside, I've seen rattlesnakes out there and they can be rather large. Then you add in poisonous and that's a bad mix. The bigger they are the further away from them you need to stay unless you really know what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    You do know it is with a great deal of difficulty that I am refraining from comment on this, right?

All kidding aside, I've seen rattlesnakes out there and they can be rather large. Then you add in poisonous and that's a bad mix. The bigger they are the further away from them you need to stay unless you really know what you're doing.

I believe in the Second Amendment also. Rattlesnakes, especially big, mean and venomous ones, need excessive implementation of the second amendment. Bazooka, Howitzer, guided missiles and other such accoutrement. These are excellent choices and even better because you'll already have the GPSr to help with accuracy.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by bigpapi122565 View Post
    I am headed to Las Vegas to cache, was wondering if anyone else is going to be in the area from March 10th thru March 16th. I heard there is a road that stretches for miles and has over a thousand caches on it.
    I haven't decided my vacation for this year yet. Maybe I will go. What else are you planning to do?
    Moo

Cano, I am going with a co-worker and his brother. I am not into gambling so seeing the sites and caching are my only interests unless something pops up. There are tons to see and a ton of caches. We are staying at the black peramid hotel. Crap my spelling sucks. We just confirmed our tickets. It's a sure thing now.

Glad you said something Dan, I never thought of snakes. I'd really like to hook up with another cacher so if you know of anyone that is headed there, let them know that bigpapi is looking to team up.

You can listen to them rattle on TV until the end of time and you'll never get the full effect of hearing one rattle out there in the real world. There's no mistaking what you're hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    You can listen to them rattle on TV until the end of time and you'll never get the full effect of hearing one rattle out there in the real world. There's no mistaking what you're hearing.
    The only time I heard one out in the sagebrush, I thought a gas line had broken. It wasn't a rattle, but a LOUD hissing noise. It was tasty though
    (We were on survival training and the instructor was teaching us food collection...)