vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Question for the Webmaster

Question A Question for the Webmaster

A Question for Rick……

And I ask this respectfully (its not intended to be confrontational)
    Q: Why is it that the members do not also vote for the Moderator and the Administrators? The Panel

I know you own this Website, the Domaine and pay out of your own pocket the expenses that keep it running. Understandably you are probably very protective of this site and don’t want to give just anybody administrative privileges/access to the behind the scenes modules that none of us can see. But would it hurt to recycle this part of the “panel” once in a while too? When I refer to the “panel” I am referring to the Moderator/Administrators AND Board Members. It appears that their roles all overlap into eachothers assigned tasks. Are these the only people you really think can effectively moderate, block spammers and update front page content? Surely there are other trustworthy people on this site that have the skills to do that as well. Its not rocket science.

I tried to find the history of who has served as administrators and moderators on the site since the birth of the forum and I couldn’t find anything which leads me to believe it’s always been the same people.
    I find it hard to believe that these are the only three members on this forum that you trust. If that’s the case..…it is very sad and I think you are putting all your eggs in one basket. If its not the case then why not replace the whole entire panel this year? Why not just clean house and start fresh? Isn’t it time? Can it get any worse? As a result I’ll bet you would have a lot more donating members and the site would pay for itself. I’m sure its not about the money for you but is change such a bad thing?
    Again I am not trying to be confrontational. I am asking a legitimate question because I am curious as to why the members don’t vote for the Moderator and Administrators too or why you won’t swap these people out yourself every couple years.
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

Quote Originally Posted by Foxgloves View Post
    A Question for Rick……

And I ask this respectfully (its not intended to be confrontational)
    Q: Why is it that the members do not also vote for the Moderator and the Administrators? The Panel

I know you own this Website, the Domaine and pay out of your own pocket the expenses that keep it running. Understandably you are probably very protective of this site and don’t want to give just anybody administrative privileges/access to the behind the scenes modules that none of us can see. But would it hurt to recycle this part of the “panel” once in a while too? When I refer to the “panel” I am referring to the Moderator/Administrators AND Board Members. It appears that their roles all overlap into eachothers assigned tasks. Are these the only people you really think can effectively moderate, block spammers and update front page content? Surely there are other trustworthy people on this site that have the skills to do that as well. Its not rocket science.

I tried to find the history of who has served as administrators and moderators on the site since the birth of the forum and I couldn’t find anything which leads me to believe it’s always been the same people.
    I find it hard to believe that these are the only three members on this forum that you trust. If that’s the case..…it is very sad and I think you are putting all your eggs in one basket. If its not the case then why not replace the whole entire panel this year? Why not just clean house and start fresh? Isn’t it time? Can it get any worse? As a result I’ll bet you would have a lot more donating members and the site would pay for itself. I’m sure its not about the money for you but is change such a bad thing?
    Again I am not trying to be confrontational. I am asking a legitimate question because I am curious as to why the members don’t vote for the Moderator and Administrators too or why you won’t swap these people out yourself every couple years.
    If this were truly a question for Rick, you could have sent it to Rick via PM or email. Let's at least follow your previous post (re: walking and talking like a duck) and call it what it is. con·fron·ta·tion (knfrn-tshn) n. 1. The act of confronting or the state of being confronted, especially a meeting face to face.
    2. a. A conflict involving armed forces: a nuclear confrontation.
    b. Discord or a clash of opinions and ideas: an age of ideological confrontation.

3. A focused comparison: an essay that brought elements of biography, autobiography, and general European history into powerful, meaningful confrontation.

confron·tation·al adj.
    confron·tation·ist n.

Adj.1.confrontational - of or relating to confrontation

Quote Originally Posted by Foxgloves View Post
    I am curious as to why the members don’t vote for the Moderator and Administrators too or why you won’t swap these people out yourself every couple years.
    Actually, he does. And the administrators/moderators are usually known to Rick only. Lately Brdad has been "outed" as a moderator because of the problems with one member. I've been "outed" as an administrator because of the problems we've had with spammers, and my discussions of what we've been doing to keep them out.

Other current moderators/administrators are not publicly known, nor are previous moderators/administrators. I think this is a good idea.

Good comment, Duzfor!

Thumbs down good

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Good comment, Duzfor!
    I think that was a legitimate question. It seems that there is alright for some people on here to post comments and personal slams when it benifits them, but of others do it the get banned. It seems to be if you are part of "click" or "in crowd" it is ok to do or say what you want.
    With all of the negitive comments going on in these forums I wonder how many people that visit the site for the first time never come back. Who would ask a question when they are afraid of getting a response like that. This has been a great place to get information and help. Everyone has always been helpful to me so I know they are a great group of people, But if this was what I read when I first found the forums I might have been reluctant to ask anything. A little respect would go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    If this were truly a question for Rick, you could have sent it to Rick via PM or email.
    First of all this question was for Rick because it is his answer and only his answer that I am interested in and there may be others out there that would like to know as well. It was not a private question therefore it did not warrant a private message to Rick.

Let's at least follow your previous post (re: walking and talking like a duck) and call it what it is. con·fron·ta·tion (knfrn-tshn) n. 1. The act of confronting or the state of being confronted, especially a meeting face to face.
    This was a legitimate question and if you think this one was confrontational you obviously have not been a member of this site long enough to see what REAL confrontation is and that every thread that is controversial will get confrontational at some point. It’s the nature of the beast. So I suggest you copy and paste your little dictionary word and put it away for safe keeping so you can use it again down the road when its becomes really appropriate.

This post is separate from my other one and thats why I put it in a new thread. There is a forum called Suggestions and my thread fits quite nicely in this forum because it is both a non-private question and a non-private suggestion for everyone to see.

If you want to see REAL confrontational threads start perusing the forums that date prior to you becoming a member. You may be enlightened if you think my post was bad. Every member of this forum has posted a confrontational (according to your dictionary) comment at one time or another. So please don’t single me out here.

the question was for Rick….I expected comments from others but you both could have at least waited and let him reply first? Sheesh….

"It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~

“Danse avec les Arbres”

If this were truly a question for Rick, you could have sent it to Rick via PM or email. Let's at least follow your previous post (re: walking and talking like a duck) and call it what it is. con·fron·ta·tion (knfrn-tshn) n. 1. The act of confronting or the state of being confronted, especially a meeting face to face.
    2. a. A conflict involving armed forces: a nuclear confrontation.
    b. Discord or a clash of opinions and ideas: an age of ideological confrontation.

3. A focused comparison: an essay that brought elements of biography, autobiography, and general European history into powerful, meaningful confrontation.

confron·tation·al adj.
    confron·tation·ist n.

Adj.1.confrontational - of or relating to confrontation
    Now present the other side

ques·tion (kwschn)
    n. 1. a. An expression of inquiry that invites or calls for a reply.
    b. An interrogative sentence, phrase, or gesture.

2. A subject or point open to controversy; an issue.
    3. A difficult matter; a problem: a question of ethics.
    4. A point or subject under discussion or consideration.
    5. a. A proposition brought up for consideration by an assembly.
    b. The act of bringing a proposal to vote.

6. Uncertainty; doubt: There is no question about the validity of the enterprise.

v. ques·tioned, ques·tion·ing, ques·tions
    v.tr. 1. To put a question to. See Synonyms at ask.
    2. To examine (a witness, for example) by questioning; interrogate.
    3. To express doubt about; dispute.
    4. To analyze; examine.

I question who is being confrontational .
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

I thought the question was appropriate as well. I have known over time who several of the moderators were, but don't claim to know who all of them were (or are at the present), but my impression was that as life moves on and people get busy with other components of it, they pass moderation back to Rick who finds another appropriate member to help out. I thought that there was a cycle of people helping out with this job.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Actually, he does. And the administrators/moderators are usually known to Rick only. Lately Brdad has been "outed" as a moderator because of the problems with one member. I've been "outed" as an administrator because of the problems we've had with spammers, and my discussions of what we've been doing to keep them out.

Other current moderators/administrators are not publicly known, nor are previous moderators/administrators. I think this is a good idea.

The link I posted in my original post lists the current "panel". Except for Medawisla being on the list it appears to be a current list.
    Somebody's falling asleep at their computer if they aren't keeping links and content updated..... Didn't you just say the moderators and admin were not publicly known? Well then why is your name on this link? No wonder people are confused on this site. Everyone is giving a different answer
    Sheesh

“Danse avec les Arbres”

I am very tired right now so let me try to word this so as not to make it sound mean and disrespectful.

There are a lot of trustworthy people that I trust on this site in the geocaching community. I have always done the moderating and administration myself up until the beginning of last year (2010). There were a couple of reasons for this. Prior to that no one had ever volunteered to help and at the time there was really no need to have much moderation done on the site, we had no users trying to stir the pot or cause trouble, everybody seemed to get along. The reason I assigned another administrator at the beginning of last year was because I was leaving to hike the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine (from Mar thru Oct). I could not leave the web site without an administrator for seven months. I had to find someone that I thought was trustworthy and knowledgeable enough with the software to take care of it for seven months. I did a little research and picked the person I thought would do a good job and had knowledge in web site software. I also assigned another person to keep the spammers of the web site so it would relieve the load off the administrator. Believe it or not there is a lot to researching IP addresses and other things to keep the spammers from coming back and registering on the web site. It may not be rocket science but being an administrator and/or the person taking care of the spammers is not an easy as you may think.

As far as moderators are concerned we really do not have any right now. The administrator that I assigned was the only one that was doing any moderation until I returned from my hike this past October. I could assign a few moderators but then no matter who I picked there would be someone whether it is you or someone else that would not like my choice. Then there is the other side of this, where does the person draw the line as to what a user has to do before they get there posts removed, moderated or even get themselves banned? What I think is different from what you think or what Jane or Jack may think. Some people think that users should be able to post whatever they want with the idea that this is a free country and we should have free speech, I totally disagree with that.

You have raised an issue that probably needs addressing. I should look into assigning a few moderators. This way the Administrators can strictly stick to administrating the software and help when moderators need help. I will wait until the new board members are elected and then I will address assigning a moderator or two with the new board members and we will work on some guidelines about editing, deleting, removing and banning members. Thanks you for bringing that to my attention.

On the other side of this and not to be disrespectful but if you or anyone else has had a problem with any one person or individual that has been moderating, administrating or taking care of the spammers why did I not hear about it in a private message before? Why am I all of a sudden hearing about it now?
    Blazing Troll