vb:literal>

Thread: Mapsource

Default Mapsource

(This may be the wrong place to post this, if so, go ahead and move it to the appropriate category).

I had a computer hard drive crash back in April and lost a bunch of program, and I'm finally getting around to getting some of the lesser used programs back onto my computer (that, and we got a new computer, a six-core processor, man does this thing work like a charm).

I was using a program that would take .gpx files generated by GSAK and would put them on a map to look at. Mostly, we can do this on Google maps on GC.com, but I was including archived caches in the generated files (which, of course, we can't look at on GC.com).

I think it was Mapsource, but I'm not entirely sure. I went to the Garmin site and Mapsource is over $100, and I know I didn't pay anything like that.

Can anyone help me on this one?

Thanks much.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

I got a free version a year or so ago, but not sure if the same technique works with newer versions, and not sure if this is how i got it, but look a this link: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=4802

I think we have a non-GSAK software category, I'll look.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    (This may be the wrong place to post this, if so, go ahead and move it to the appropriate category).

I had a computer hard drive crash back in April and lost a bunch of program, and I'm finally getting around to getting some of the lesser used programs back onto my computer (that, and we got a new computer, a six-core processor, man does this thing work like a charm).

I was using a program that would take .gpx files generated by GSAK and would put them on a map to look at. Mostly, we can do this on Google maps on GC.com, but I was including archived caches in the generated files (which, of course, we can't look at on GC.com).

I think it was Mapsource, but I'm not entirely sure. I went to the Garmin site and Mapsource is over $100, and I know I didn't pay anything like that.

Can anyone help me on this one?

Thanks much.

GSAK had a export tool to mapsourse and it generate some file but I don't recall it being a .gpx/

Any rate, I had a similar incident of lost unlock codes for mapsourse and Garmin was great about supplying/re-issueing the code. If you previously owned it I'm sure they would help.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

OK, thank you. I downloaded the new program and it seems to be working fine. It's a little late at night, so I'll play with it later and post any new questions if any arise. I'm trying to find new places for hides, and there's a ton of archived caches nearby where I can place caches.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    You can also use GSAK to export to Delorme's Topo USA and Street Atlas, which are a lot cheaper than Mapsource. I usually do this when we're going on a caching trip and print maps to facilitate routing. D

Lightbulb Mapsource

I have used Mapsource for years and have had to purchase the CD " city navigator " to be able to upload maps to my Garmin 60CSx, about $100.00. Gask also exports the waypoints to Mapsource and I can see the surrounding caches in a given area.

Here is an example: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Mapsource\Maine\10yearev ent.gdb
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.