Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Anybody want to talk about geocaching???

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade, Maine
    Posts
    953

    Default So......

    Quote Originally Posted by Fins_Up View Post
    I have not been caching since Karen's event on 1/30. Things have been busy but I am hoping to get out this Saturday. Any really good winter caches out there? I don't care much for going on the ice so those kind are out for me but I do like a nice long hike or snowshoe.
    You don't ice fish much then?

    I'm not overly fond of heights myself. I can go up the ladders at work and I can use the lift truck we call the Order Picker as well but I'm very sure I place my feet well and have a good hand hold before moving about much when it's in the elevated position.

    I picked up a pair of snowshoes but I'm not in condition to do long hikes on them and Pam doesn't have a pair so we won't be doing a whole lot of those type caches unless we find a pair for her and see if both of us are up to a jaunt on them.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    China, Maine
    Posts
    238

    Default

    I am a flat lander (from southern IL originally) so the only ice I like is the kind that makes my drink cold. I have ventured out on the ice but it freaks me out when it starts cracking and popping. I am going to do a bit of ice fishing with the Scouts early next month so we will see how that goes.

  3. #23

    Default Frozen water caching

    Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    My last cache I found was thousand of miles away long time ago. I would go snowshoe caching, preferably island caching since this is the only time of the year I can walk on a pond
    Have you done Brad's Island Hoppers cache or the others on Pushaw Lake?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    [x, y, z, t]
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    Have you done Brad's Island Hoppers cache or the others on Pushaw Lake?
    no``````````
    Moo

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    no``````````
    Its a good way to get it done if you don't have a kayak or canoe. Just be prepared as the wind can be pretty darn cold with all the open space. It'll take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours walking i believe and if you have them, definitely wear some spikes. I wiped out a couple times wearing just boots.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Litchfield, Maine
    Posts
    3,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Android is an operating system and has nothing to do with finding a cache. However if you want to know how accurate is a Qualcomm chipset used in most smartphones running on Android then I found all of my 1000 caches using it. I was also one of the few who won accuracy contest at Celebrate 10 years of caching in Maine contest. It doesn't work very well under tree cover and doesn't work at all under water. Any more questions about accuracy of GPS smartphones?
    What app are you using on you android?
    Blazing Troll

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer,ME
    Posts
    2,575

    Question Not really an winter friendly cache

    Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    Its a good way to get it done if you don't have a kayak or canoe. Just be prepared as the wind can be pretty darn cold with all the open space. It'll take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours walking i believe and if you have them, definitely wear some spikes. I wiped out a couple times wearing just boots.
    You may find the first two stages, but the final would be under a bit too much snow considering how it is hidden. Early winter would have been more accessible I think. .
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!


  8. #28

    Default Because I know it'll come eventually...

    The c:geo app is a little bit better than the app that Groundspeak puts out but apparently violates the terms of service. If you even mention it in national forums, the moderators will edit / delete your post. It has to be called "the app that shall not be named" when mentioning it. I used it for a bunch of caches when I first heard about it and it jumps around a bit but is still fairly accurate. I prefered the user interface of c:geo to the Groundspeak app after playing with both. The groundspeak app can also be downloaded at no charge if you have the know how but again, you might be putting your login at risk. Honestly, I think Groundspeak has enough on its plate to worry about the very minor amount of scraping capable by a smartphone but the possibility is there so it needs to be mentioned. Both allow for full cache descriptions, auto decoding of hints, onsite logging, and trackable management. I dont recall if you can load your PQ's into the Groundspeak app but you definitely can do this with c:geo further minimizing any scraping of data. Its all fairly new technology and will only get better down the road. If you'd like screenshots of either app or want the info on getting the Groundspeak app where I got it from, let me know.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hampden, ME
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    The c:geo app is a little bit better than the app that Groundspeak puts out but apparently violates the terms of service. If you even mention it in national forums, the moderators will edit / delete your post. It has to be called "the app that shall not be named" when mentioning it. I used it for a bunch of caches when I first heard about it and it jumps around a bit but is still fairly accurate. I prefered the user interface of c:geo to the Groundspeak app after playing with both. The groundspeak app can also be downloaded at no charge if you have the know how but again, you might be putting your login at risk. Honestly, I think Groundspeak has enough on its plate to worry about the very minor amount of scraping capable by a smartphone but the possibility is there so it needs to be mentioned. Both allow for full cache descriptions, auto decoding of hints, onsite logging, and trackable management. I dont recall if you can load your PQ's into the Groundspeak app but you definitely can do this with c:geo further minimizing any scraping of data. Its all fairly new technology and will only get better down the road. If you'd like screenshots of either app or want the info on getting the Groundspeak app where I got it from, let me know.
    I would imagine that past few days have been hectic for you MOU, with the launch of the iPhone. With that said, any info on geo apps for the iPhone?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

  10. #30

    Default iphone

    Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    I would imagine that past few days have been hectic for you MOU, with the launch of the iPhone. With that said, any info on geo apps for the iPhone?
    Work has certainly preped like crazy for the iPhone launch but because nationwide they've pushed out the overtime opportunities, the stress isnt as bad as everyone anticipated. It's nuts for sure, but not terrible. I really havent had the opportunity to look into whats in the app store for apple to see what options are out there besides the Groundspeak app. We can't even get our hands on a training device. I would assume that any app would have been mentioned on here at some point, but who knows. Once I get a chance to touch one and play for a few minutes, I'll check it out. There must be someone on here with an iphone regardles off carrier?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •