vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetically speaking....

Exclamation Hypothetically speaking....

So..... before I start on the topic of which I am starting this thread for, I must say that I have found the antics on the forum (which I have heard much of second hand) over the last week to be highly entertaining. Frankly I could care less about who is or isn't on the board, or if there is a board or not. Banning me really had no effect on my life other than provide me with a decent amount of commiseration material with my fellow Geocaching friends down here in Southern Maine (you know, that part of Maine that the current board feels should be rightfully excluded from being on the GeocachingMaine.org board?) And I have been very busy with work, a relationship, and setting up my new Apple OSX Snow Leopard Server at my home, which I may or may not use for hosting a true open Maine Geocaching Forum (Heck that sounds good, I may just go to GoDaddy.com tonight and purchase that domain, www.openmainegeocachingforum.com)

Enough said though, so on to my "hypothetical" post.

What would YOU, a Geocacher do if your local volunteer reviewer was showing malicious bias against you, by refusing to even review or initiate a review, let alone publish a cache that you had put a considerable amount of time, effort, thought, and money into placing?

How would YOU react if when you approached or contacted your local volunteer reviewer about this perceived bias, in a reasonable and cordial manner, your local volunteer reviewer fed you nonsensical doggie poo poo and told you that you must "contact Groundspeak to develop a review process"?

How would you feel if you waited and waited for your listing to appear as a newly published cache for 6 days, all the while watching other caches get published by said local volunteer reviewer, and still not hear a peep out of the reviewer. No note as to why he/she was not going to publish your cache. No e-mail regarding why or how your cache may violate current Groundspeak Cache Placement Guidelines. No answers to your questions.

So, let's here your views on this hypothetical but pertinent question.

And I thank you in advance for your posts.

First of all we don't know you or anyone else for that matter. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone that knows us or has seen us caching or anywhere else for that matter. We are anti-social and lay low. I don't think that makes us bad people. I like to come here to read about what people are doing, caching or anything else. I guess I don't understand what problems with groundspeak has anything to do with this site. If I am wrong please explain it to me as I am always willing to learn. I hope you start your own site, and I am not saying that because I want you out of here. If you do I would sign up for it if you would have me. I can see where your site and this one will be very different and there are days I may want to read one or the other or both. I hope I would be welcomed at both sites. I don't think the 2 sites would ever mix but that is not a bad thing either. Where ever you go there is always a difference of opinion and I would rather go to a different site than rile people up. So I will continue to come here if I am welcome and I would join yours if I would be welcome there. Have a greart day everyone, spring caching is just around the corner!

Default I must be the exception

Quote Originally Posted by farmer and wife and "G" View Post
    First of all we don't know you or anyone else for that matter. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone that knows us or has seen us caching or anywhere else for that matter.
    I ran into you as we were going into a cache and you were coming out on Feb 20th last year.
    Happy Trails!

What does this site have to do with Groundspeak? Nothing officially however this site is for discussion of Geocaching in Maine and the hypothetical issue I raised is in Maine and is a Geocaching issue. So I would ask you in return, what is your point? Do you have anything constructive to add to my thread or are you attempting to hijack it?

Default The whole story....

after reading your hypothetical post, I think that some people would think that this was not right and that some sort of communication would have been warranted. However, is this the whole story or is there more than is written in your post. If on the other hand there had been a history of bad placements, lack of maintenance or even poor communications, ( none of which I am suggesting has ever happened, this IS hypothetical ), than some might conclude otherwise.

There have and always will be 2 sides to every story and several ways to interpret them.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Yes there is alwas two sides to every story. And no there is nothing else to add. Maybe if the hypothetical reviewer was to actually communicate with me, I could offer more. Would you like me to be brutally honest with it all or bite my tounge so as not to offense the sensibilities of the CURRENT board here?

I have to agree with Team2Hunt; not enough information. What you present, if taken at face value, would definitely anger me if it happened the way you described.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

I find it hard to believe this is hypothetical if you are as upset as you sound. If this happened to me I would fight it for all I was worth if I thought I was in the right. No I am not trying to hijack this thread. I have not posted much here so I may not know the proper way to do things but I did not think I had to start a new thread to express interest in you starting a new site seeing as you mentioned it in this very thread. I guess if i have nothing constructive to say it is time for me to bow out and let others try to say something you will be happy with.

To Maniac1957, (sorry I don't know how to add your comment here) yes you are one of the (lucky?) few. Also Haffy, Silverfox, and TRF. Wow sounds like my laying low needs swome work.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer and wife and "G" View Post
    To Maniac1957, (sorry I don't know how to add your comment here) yes you are one of the (lucky?) few. Also Haffy, Silverfox, and TRF. Wow sounds like my laying low needs swome work.
    Sheesh! SilverFox? That name is familiar - I have an older couple with a dog in mind - but I can't find a "SilverFox" in the member list. I used to kid them about their dog - seems like they were training it to find caches. LOL!