vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FTF or nothing???

Default FTF or nothing???

I got a few FTFs this weekend and it got me to thinking. Is it just the winter that is keeping the numbers down on the new caches I have seen published lately or does a cache lose it's desirability once someone has the FTF? I don't go after too many FTFs (the 3 this weekend make up 1/5 of my grand total). I see the draw and I enjoy the thrill of getting there first but I enjoy finding a great hide that challenges me just as much.

For us, the snow really puts a damper on how well we can cache. I finally broke down and got a cheap pair of snowshoes but Pam doesn't have any and not sure her knee would hold up well anyway. We'll start hitting them harder again as the weather warms up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fins_Up View Post
    I got a few FTFs this weekend and it got me to thinking. Is it just the winter that is keeping the numbers down on the new caches I have seen published lately or does a cache lose it's desirability once someone has the FTF?
    For many of us, geocaching slacks off in winter. LOL! Many caches are just not available, and for the ones that are... A lot of us geocachers are a little older, and we get cold easily...

That most definitely isn't the case for us! Our first few FTFs were extremely exciting, but the novelty has worn off for us and we just cache! Hopefully it is just the winter and people still start enjoying your caches soon!

Default I have been known to run..

I still like making a FTF run. But then I like most all caches. Even some of those blasted puzzle that I can't usually solve. As far as winter caching. I slow down in the winter although I never stop. But hey that's just me. So far this year I have found 57 caches. Not a bad start.
    Happy Trails!

Seasonal cacher here . . . winter is for snowmobiling . . . Spring, Summer and Fall are for caching . . . well that and ATVing, processing firewood, camping, etc.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

For me, I have only 1 FTF out of 165 total, but I'm after the hunt, don't get me wrong I love getting a FTF, but that's not my #1 goal. The difficulty for me this time of year is the lack of light at the end of the day, I usually work 7 days a week until at least 1pm and it gets dark at 4-5 so not a lot of time to cache. Looking forward to spring and caching from my kayak!

Thumbs up I guess I'm still young.....

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    For many of us, geocaching slacks off in winter. LOL! Many caches are just not available, and for the ones that are... A lot of us geocachers are a little older, and we get cold easily...
    I can see how the harsh winter has made it difficult to cache for those who prefer the warmer weather. I have found 68 caches since the ground has been covered by the white stuff. A few of them had to be dug out of several feet of snow. Dressing for it is half the battle.

As a good friend once told me.......there are no mosquitos, dogs barking, lines of people watching you, and the woods tend to be very quiet and peaceful in the winter months. Thanks for the tip, and hope to see you on the trail before the snow melts.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

It does seem that this winter is quieter than in past years and yes I have been known to find a FTF once in a while. Going to Bangor tomorrow so I hope to add to my yearly total!!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

The FTF craze faded out for me quite a while back but it is still fun if it happens, especially when I didn't even realize it was a new cache, which I have done a few times. I haven't actively rushed for an FTF for a long while. Perhaps the last time was the cache like it's 2001 cache, and that was less of a rush for FTF than a push to complete it - it was a good challenge FTF or not, and we were not about to compromise the fun for an FTF.

We just don't get out in the Winter so much, and less this year because of several variables, weather and otherwise. But we'll be out in full force soon (at least full force for us).
    Last edited by brdad; 02-20-2011 at 09:05 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."