vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ET Go home

Pack a big lunch, Fins-Up!
    Appreciate everyone who has ever come into your life- for some come in as a blessing and others come in as a lesson.

Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Since the E.T. cache was laid, they tell me there had been over 7,000 U.S. citizens logged in there and more than 1,000 Canadians. That's a lot of people."
    Funny they are trying to claim 8000 people got rooms after the ET caches were placed, and yet there are only a bit over 800 cachers log the caches. I don't buy that geocachers were that much of a permanent boom to the local economy.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Funny they are trying to claim 8000 people got rooms after the ET caches were placed, and yet there are only a bit over 800 cachers log the caches. I don't buy that geocachers were that much of a permanent boom to the local economy.
    I can see where the number could be much bigger. If I were to have gone there caching it would have been with the family and that would have been 3 logging in only as 1.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by shuman road searchers View Post
    I can see where the number could be much bigger. If I were to have gone there caching it would have been with the family and that would have been 3 logging in only as 1.
    I thought of that, but that'd mean an average of 10 people per group! And I'm assuming all people in those groups are not going to stay in different rooms.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Fins_Up-"Another large series along Rt. 66 out there has 800 caches and some have a note in the description that warns cachers not to let happen to this series what happened to the ET series. I would love to head out there for a few days and just see how many I could get."
    As of a few days ago the RT66 series between Barstow and Needles, CA, was up and running and we (JEM3 and I) only had to replace about 7 obviously missing film containers to complete the series. We were doing better than 1 cache per minute over much of the run. We cached about 10 hours/day and that included a break for lunch. The number of finds on the 18th was about 625. The series is well worth trying if you're interested in seeing how many you can do in a day. I wouldn't want to do it every day though.

An interesting problem surfaced when using 'field notes' to log the finds. It does make it easy but the programmers didn't anticipate finding caches that fast and although the Garmin 62s records the finds properly to the second, GroundSpeak only recognizes and shows 1 find for each minute so you have to make sure it doesn't skip any of you finds. Where the RT66 series is numbered sequentially it is easy to see the missing caches and manually log them.

is that 800 total or 800 that did the complete series?

Quote Originally Posted by surfacewarrior View Post
    is that 800 total or 800 that did the complete series?
    Right now 822 have logged the first cache in the series. That is where I got my number from, I put that cache on my watch when it was placed anticipating it was worth watching. I just scanned through a bunch of the other caches, most appear to have less finds, around 600. The last one in the series has 525 finds. #636 has 489 finds. I'm betting only a very small percentage completed the entire series. I'd bet the majority did not even find half. So, using that thinking, many of the cachers were probably only there for a day, and may not have even gotten a room.
    Last edited by brdad; 04-25-2011 at 11:35 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Having stopped twice in Alamo NV doing my 200, I would suggest that the town looked less vibrant then East Vassalboro! I grabbed a sandwich and gassed up at the only ma/pa store and the lady asked if I was there to geocache! The economic boost may have been less then TARP, but it was clear from my visit that they welcomed geocachers with open arms. The two hotels in the area were not exactly Hampton Inns but I was told that the business from the geocachers was much appreciated. That said, I'm not surprised the NDOT recognized that stopped cars in the driving lane was not good. Sad, because there was a huge, I mean 20 to 30 foot area that we would call a shoulder. Lazy cachers=archived caches.

Right now 822 have logged the first cache in the series. That is where I got my number from, I put that cache on my watch when it was placed anticipating it was worth watching. I just scanned through a bunch of the other caches, most appear to have less finds, around 600. The last one in the series has 525 finds. #636 has 489 finds. I'm betting only a very small percentage completed the entire series. I'd bet the majority did not even find half. So, using that thinking, many of the cachers were probably only there for a day, and may not have even gotten a room.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.