vb:literal>

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Plane In The World Enroute to Bangor

Default Biggest Plane In The World Enroute to Bangor

The Antonov AN-225, the biggest plane in the world, is enroute to Bangor, scheduled to arrive at approx 10:00 AM this morning.

This plane was built by Russia to transport their version of a space shuttle, but their space shuttle project was never finished.

Anyone who has watched an Antonov AN-224 airplane land at Bangor (which they do often, transporting MRAP vehicles to Iraq and Afghanistan for the US military), will really be impressed with this aircraft.

Default big plane

Wow would have liked to have seen this, but didn't see the post soon enough . Will it be returning again.

Quote Originally Posted by 79olds View Post
    Wow would have liked to have seen this, but didn't see the post soon enough . Will it be returning again.
    I've seen the Antonov 124 at Bangor many times, but have never seen the Antonov 225. After all, it's the only 1 in the world. LOL!

If you like "plane watching" like I do, keep an eye on the FlightAware.com website. Bangor has quite an eclectic mix of aircraft arriving and departing, both because of the long runway (over 2 miles) and the fact that it is the closest customs airport when arriving from/departing to Europe and points further east. (That plus the fact that it has a very good price for aviation fuel - $4.75/gal at Bangor vs $7.82/gal at Boston.)
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 03-05-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I've seen the Antonov 124 at Bangor many times, but have never seen the Antonov 225. After all, it's the only 1 in the world. LOL!

If you like "plane watching" like I do, keep an eye on the FlightAware.com website. Bangor has quite an eclectic mix of aircraft arriving and departing, both because of the long runway (over 2 miles) and the fact that it is the closest customs airport when arriving from/departing to Europe and points further east. (That plus the fact that it has a very good price for aviation fuel - $4.75/gal at Bangor vs $7.82/gal at Boston.)
    Actually, there are two, but only 1 flying. The last time I read about it, the other one was rotting at some airport and they used it for parts for the one 225 flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Actually, there are two, but only 1 flying. The last time I read about it, the other one was rotting at some airport and they used it for parts for the one 225 flying.
    According to the WikiPedia article cited in my first post, the 2d AN-225 was never completed. And you MUST believe WikiPedia, right? LOL!

Sure, throw facts in my face! My hearsay was more interesting

BTW I like the flight tracker site. Looks like the plane is leaving at 1:10pm for Minsk

Well, it SOUNDED big, but with the low cloud ceiling, I couldn't see it fly over my shop

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Well, it SOUNDED big, but with the low cloud ceiling, I couldn't see it fly over my shop
    Well, it's left Bangor and is on it's way to Minsk, Russia (actually, Belarus). I wonder what it's carrying...

And checking further, I see that it departed Gostomel Airport in the Ukraine (which is the home airport for Antonov), before arriving at Melbourne, Florida on Thursday, prior to it's trip to Bangor today. Interesting.
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 03-05-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    And checking further, I see that it departed Gostomel Airport in the Ukraine (which is the home airport for Antonov), before arriving at Melbourne, Florida on Thursday, prior to it's trip to Bangor today. Interesting.
    Well, yaaaaa...... There's probbly few Russians laying in the Florida sun as we speak. I can see it now: Hey Igor, you finally beat Madame Smirnoff in a wrestling match...what are you going to do now? "I'm going to Disneyworld!"
    Last edited by brdad; 03-05-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Missing quote tag

"The Antonov AN-225, the biggest plane in the world" that is still flying. It is th heaviest plane in the world. The largest is the Hughes H-4 The "Spruce Goose" located at Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville, Oregon