vb:literal>

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Plane In The World Enroute to Bangor

Default Fun Ride...

Anyone know where i can buy one of these MRAPs? They look liked they'd be fun to drive around in.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Yes - I misspoke.

The AN-124 lands quite often - matter of fact - one left Bangor last night enroute to Glasgow, Scotland. And since the flight originated in Charlestown, South Carolina, I would assume that it's another flight carrying MRAP vehicles for the US military. Strange relationship...
    Wonder if these vehicles are bound for the former Loring AFB for refitting/overhaul?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

From what I've read about the MRAPs, they are so heavy that there is talk that they will be abandoned once they are no longer needed in-country. The cost of airlifting them is scary, 10x the cost of ship transport, but they get there fast.

Default An225

I have seen them both at BGR, the 124 and the 225. What huge aircraft these are, and I wonder if sometimes they are transporting large pieces of generator parts from GE to overseas? I have a photo somewhere of the 225 taking off, taken from behind the hanger at Telfords. I would like to have the cost of one complete set of tires for that bird!!! Or maybe just the cost of the fuel just for warm up and take off!!! Working at Telford for 9 years I sure have seen some "different" aircraft come in and out. I have also had the unique experience oof working on some of them. I guess the strangest was the czech fighter jet owned by a private gentleman. I got to taxi that one around out back for the post maint runs. What a piece of work that thing is!!!! Scary That what happens when you have enough moneyj to buy dangerous toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    From what I've read about the MRAPs, they are so heavy that there is talk that they will be abandoned once they are no longer needed in-country. The cost of airlifting them is scary, 10x the cost of ship transport, but they get there fast.
    That's why they contract with the AN-124's for shipment: they can carry 6 MRAPs while the C-5a can only carry 4.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Yes - I misspoke.

The AN-124 lands quite often - matter of fact - one left Bangor last night enroute to Glasgow, Scotland. And since the flight originated in Charlestown, South Carolina, I would assume that it's another flight carrying MRAP vehicles for the US military. Strange relationship...

Amen! To think I spent all those years guarding fighters designed to blow those things up! Sigh. Sometimes I miss the ol' U.S.S.R.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Bruce, you obviously use Flightaware on a regular basis. Im sitting in my office and just watched 4 fighters circle and land. Do only commercial flights show up and anything military isnt published?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

I would not think the military would want anyone to know what they are doing.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    Bruce, you obviously use Flightaware on a regular basis. Im sitting in my office and just watched 4 fighters circle and land. Do only commercial flights show up and anything military isnt published?
    Yes, military flights are blocked. Not sure if it's a government restriction or Flightaware.com policy. Also, many celebrity aircraft are blocked at the owner's request. The aircraft numbers of many celebrities are available on the internet, however, and you can identify celebrities arriving or departing an airport that way. And knowing the tail number, you can look up on FlightAware to see where they are or have been recently.

But they do talk on air traffic control, and we always have the scanner on when we're near any airport. Also, the LiveATC.net site broadcasts air traffic control chatter for many airports (not Bangor), and can be especially fun when there is bad weather or a problem with the aircraft.

I can't believe I missed the 225 again. I was within a few miles of the airport and could have seen it. Hopefully next time.

The Dreamlifter has been through Bangor....that is a neat one too.