vb:literal>

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Plane In The World Enroute to Bangor

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Yes, the C5's behave the same way - loud and slow. They look like they're crawling. LOL! It's fun to be under the approach at the end of the runway when one of these big ones come in.
    Oh, yeah!
    Appreciate everyone who has ever come into your life- for some come in as a blessing and others come in as a lesson.

Default More Interesting Air Traffic at BIA

RULost2? and I stopped to watch planes for a while today as a part of our regular commissary/PX run to Bangor Air National Guard Base.

In addition to the regular air traffic, we saw one civilian Embraer with the tail number G-SUGA. I thought it was interesting, so I wrote it down and researched it when I returned home. Here's the owner (and I assume passenger) of the plane.

Interesting!

Very interesting.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Very interesting.
    Yup. But it's far more interesting if you have a scanner so you can listen to air traffic control! LOL!

Naw that's boring. I turn it on now and then. The big voice is more interesting. I don't have the timing down yet but the PA system they have out there and the people running tests on it are funny as hell.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Yes, the C5's behave the same way - loud and slow. They look like they're crawling. LOL! It's fun to be under the approach at the end of the runway when one of these big ones come in.
    The last air base I was assigned to was Griffiss AFB in Rome, N.Y. (Now closed) It was the first time I worked with B-52's. They had a very steep angle to the wings which allowed them to take off with heavy bomb loads. It also allowed them to land nose down, as opposed to nose up. The first time I saw one land I was convinced it was heading straight for a crash! (I did see one catch on fire once, that was exciting )

Amazing that the Air Force is still using those planes. They started the prototype in the early 50's I think. Heck I have a 10 year old car I'm thinking of junking. I have flown in the C-5A. Nice, easy flight. No creature comforts, but better than the KC-135 or the hold on to your ass ride of the C-130
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Default B-52

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    The last air base I was assigned to was Griffiss AFB in Rome, N.Y. (Now closed) It was the first time I worked with B-52's. They had a very steep angle to the wings which allowed them to take off with heavy bomb loads. It also allowed them to land nose down, as opposed to nose up. The first time I saw one land I was convinced it was heading straight for a crash! (I did see one catch on fire once, that was exciting )

Amazing that the Air Force is still using those planes. They started the prototype in the early 50's I think. Heck I have a 10 year old car I'm thinking of junking. I have flown in the C-5A. Nice, easy flight. No creature comforts, but better than the KC-135 or the hold on to your ass ride of the C-130
    My father retired out of Amarillo AFB in Texas in 1967 when they grounded him due to his bloodpressure. At the time he retired he was in the Strategic Air Command and flew B-52's. I have vague memories of going to the base with my cub scout pack and getting a tour of a B-52. When he was still with us, you could get my father to talk for hours if you brought up flying or B-52's.

Default Antonov 124 Enroute to Bangor

If anyone in the area wants to see an Antonov 124 land at Bangor, there's currently one enroute from Houston, due to land at 2:00 PM today (Monday).

ABORT! ABORT! This flight just dropped off FlightAware. My guess is that the flight was cancelled. I'll keep watching... LOL!
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 03-28-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Correction

If anyone wants to see this, there is another Antonov 124 in Bangor. There is one currently parked there with a great viewing opportunity at the end of a little road off Main Road between Griffin Road and Godfrey Blvd. The kids thought that it was pretty impressive.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

I check FlightAware a couple of times per day, and note that there have been at least a couple of A-124's in the last 2 days. When I see one that is enroute or on the ground, I'll try and post a note here. They really are impressive - especially seeing them land.