vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtuals are coming back

Thumbs up Virtuals are coming back

This was from Jeremy today:

We have started a project that will "bring virtuals back" in a way that doesn't adversely affect the core geocaching experience. The current plan is to have this launched in early May

Can't wait to see what they come up with.
    Happy Trails!

What was the problem before that caused them to go away?
    Blazing Troll

For a while a big problem was people were making anything vitruals, places of no value. So then they made a rule where to hide a virtual you had to give the approver a good reason why the location was worthy of a cache. Some virtual owners were slow to reply to a finder's email which made some finders cranky. Many finders were locating the answers online and logging the caches. I think ultimately gc.com just didn't want to deal with it.

Funny thing is, a few cachers (not me) warned that removing virtuals would open up the door for pointless micros all about. Virtuals used to be on the 'lame' spectrum of the sport for many, including myself. But now I've changed my thinking and given the opportunity to do only one sight unseen would do a virtual any day before doing a roadside micro.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of this.
    Last edited by brdad; 03-22-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Since a virtual cache is not a physical cache, will property owner permission be needed for a VIRTUAL cache at a PUBLIC spot?
    Last edited by brdad; 03-23-2011 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Personal Attacks: Finger pointing that has the potential to lead to upsetting or provoking another individual.

These will be interesting. A long time ago they mentioned that the Virtuals were on their way back.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Just like for some EarthCaches, some virtuals are bound to be denied due to landowner request, even in some public areas. IIRC, ALL EarthCaches require written landowner permission.

In fact, I was thinking this might be exactly how they might effectively bring back virtuals - where you would need to provide a lesson in the description about the location and have that approved. Much like EarthCaches, but for non-earthy locations.
    Last edited by brdad; 03-23-2011 at 05:51 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default From what I have seen

The "new" virtuals will be different. It's not going to be for every roadside plaque. They will be for specific types of locations where a physical cache will not be able to be used. That is the way they were going when they were moved into waymarking back in 2005 or 2006.
    Happy Trails!

Good deal . . . I never had a virtual . . . but appreciated many of the virtuals that I did that were in places where it would have been difficult to place even a micro or nano cache without risking the place getting torn up or attracting unnecessary attention.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Post Earth Caches do...

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Since a virtual cache is not a physical cache, will property owner permission be needed for a VIRTUAL cache at a PUBLIC spot?
    I have 2 Earth Caches and even though they are on or at public access, I needed to get the contact info for the access before I could get them published. I personally would like to see that be the standard for the sport. I have occasionally searched near a property that made me uneasy and left without looking, since there was no mention in the cache description about permission being granted. There are plenty of caches to look for.....
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    ALL EarthCaches require written landowner permission.
    That is actually not the case.....an EarthCache submission must contain the information about who gave you permission if it is on managed land. Only in National Parks and Forest Service land do you need to provide written proof.

EarthCaches on public land, such as roads etc do not require permission at all (unless the road is in a National Park etc).

Why the permission? To allow the land manager to make sure that bring people to that spot will not cause damage to the site or surrounds etc...