vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ozone and bouncing GPS

Unhappy Ozone and bouncing GPS

Did anyone else have problems today with a bouncing GPS signal? Today was in the 90s, blue sky but hazy with a high ozone level. We have a Garmin Map76CS and it was all over the place today. I'm wondering if it could be atmosphere or if there is a physical problem with the unit. It would go from 2 satellites to 6 then back to 2-3 and recalculate over and over and over. I'm up to date on firmware upgrades and cannot see anything on this recalculate problem on the Garmin site. Lefty - if you are reading his, we have the same unit. You have problems today?
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe

d’76 Guest

Talking

I hope not, I placed a cache today and It was a bitch to get to. I don't want to go right back and fix the coords.

wbdent I have my eTrex Legend and it was right on today. The more I have spent time with people with the Garmin GPS 60 series, the more I don't want to invest in one. I see not new feature that I need for one. Sure the anttena pocks up a better signal. But on days when I can not get a good signal the GPS 60 series can not either. So why do I want to spend $400 plus on something that is not much better?
    Blazing Troll

d’76 Guest

Well Rick,

Can you? well, I don't know. I think that they do just about the same thing and I said it before, iin hind sight I wouldn't have spent 450 on it.

Dave that was not meant to be a slam on you. I hope you did not take it wrong. I was just pointing it out to anyone else that was thinking about buying one.
    Blazing Troll

d’76 Guest

No Rick, Not for a minute. I have said many many time that the 60 c is a great unit however it was a bit expensive for using to cache. However for the other things that I do it is worth it. But I think that it is funny that all these units do the same exact thing. Thats tell you where you are and they range from less than 100$ to well over 1000$. I guess it's all prefrence. I like the color screen and being able to see on the GPSr a map. You have to try harder than that to slam on me. LOL

I can imagine a GPSr with mapping capability is/or would be the way to go, especially for geocaching. My GPSr doesn't support any maps at all and this has forced me to use my PALM for that purpose if I wish to go "paperless." This has proved to be a chore. So, if you consider the cost of the GPSr the PALM and all the software to get electronic maps onto the PALM, the cost may work out that it's just as inexpensive to get a GPSr with a few more bells, bobbles and whistles.

Today the Garmin map76 worked perfectly with no bouncing or constant recalculating. Almost same atmosphere conditions today as yesterday, maybe even a little more hot and humid today. I'll put yesterday's bouncing to a lot heavier tree cover. Today we went back to the Windham/Gorham area and found three and skunked again on Pez's Challenge. We did however bump into Doug26 and walk the trails with him for a awhile. Neither of us found this very frustrating challenge We feel a bit less dumb now however since he's got 1200 plus finds and didn't find it either. Maybe next time though this was strike 3.

(P.S. - this is not frustration expressed with the cache owner or how he has set up the cache. It's Joe and I who obviously cannot see what is in front of our faces. I'm too literal. I'm sure this will not beat us and we'll be back for four)

Eventually we'll pick up another Garmin like an Etrex since we are enjoying caching so much and getting a lot of exercise and viewing parts of Maine we never knew existed. We don't quite fight over who gets to carry the Garmin - yet.

Anne
    Last edited by TwoMaineiacs; 06-26-2005 at 07:57 PM.

Default No probs here...

I had no problems this weekend, but I was on the open water most of the time. And, I have done any updates on my 76C! I hope that the updates are not the problem.

Reviewed the update notes with the Map76 patch just put up June 20th. One of the fixes is for recalulations. I redid the software fix and it took okay. Didn't tell me that it was already there and did I want to replace the patch with the same patch. Perhaps the first time didn't take? If I start recalculating a lot again, I'll call Garmin.

Anne