vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ozone and bouncing GPS

d’76 Guest

Hey tat,

I hope you worn sun screen

Unhappy

I have a 60CS had a lot of problems today, it got the location of the cache correct, but would not point in the correct direction. Most of the time it just seemed to freeze, when it did move it was completly wrong. First time I have seen this happen, previously it has worked great. I going to apply some updates see what that does.
    Last edited by gpsxplr; 06-26-2005 at 08:39 PM. Reason: can't spell today

d’76 Guest

blame the government. It's another way that they are tring to control us.

sun screen, bug dope, sometimes bug dope on top of sunscreen!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMaineiacs
    Did anyone else have problems today with a bouncing GPS signal? Today was in the 90s, blue sky but hazy with a high ozone level. We have a Garmin Map76CS and it was all over the place today. I'm wondering if it could be atmosphere or if there is a physical problem with the unit. It would go from 2 satellites to 6 then back to 2-3 and recalculate over and over and over. I'm up to date on firmware upgrades and cannot see anything on this recalculate problem on the Garmin site. Lefty - if you are reading his, we have the same unit. You have problems today?
    I had a little bouncing, but my batteries where low. I settled down once I replaced them and re-calibrated my compass.

There was one point in the car yesterday when all of the satellites went off the screen, but I could still see the signal bars. This was probably around 1:00 in the afternoon, and I was on car power so it wasn't batteries. I had never seen that before, and almost panicked because I thought the GPS was going bad. I also saw a message I had never seen before telling me to power off and back on, which I did. The sat's came back! Still don't know what the cause was.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache'n Jacksons
    message ... telling me to power off and back on,....
    I got the same error message on my old III+ and assumed it was some kind of software glitch. It always rebooted fine.

I finally upgraded from my old Garmin 12, which I had been using for years, to a 60c. Wow, what a difference. I can't believe that I found 80+ caches with the old 12. It sure is nice to have a GPSR that actually will tell you the distance remaining in feet, not miles; plus I'm sure the map feature will come in handy once I get used to it.