vb:literal>

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Paperless caching all Maine caches for GSAK

Default Article: Paperless caching all Maine caches for GSAK

There is just one problem with that. This is YOUR PQ and for people who have done a lot of caches those numbers will be much different if the query includes all of your found caches as well. I like to keep my found caches in a separate query. Also one other thing,does this query include child waypoints? If that is the case then it will be a lot more than that for each query. I usually try to keep mine around 470 or less so it will include all those child waypoints as well. Just my thoughts.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    There is just one problem with that. This is YOUR PQ and for people who have done a lot of caches those numbers will be much different if the query includes all of your found caches as well. I like to keep my found caches in a separate query. Also one other thing,does this query include child waypoints? If that is the case then it will be a lot more than that for each query. I usually try to keep mine around 470 or less so it will include all those child waypoints as well. Just my thoughts.
    As I posted in another thread, I think this was for All Maine caches, not just unfound, but I could be wrong. The argument about child waypoints is somewhat invalid since you can get 500 caches in one PQ regardless of how many child waypoints there are.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Post These dates would work.....

If you are brand new to caching or just moved to Maine and had no finds. As Haffy pointed out, those dates are only really accurate for just the cacher who prepared them. I started caching in December of 04, and as of this morning I have found 1584 caches placed in Maine. My first PQ dates are 05-01-00 thru 09-15-06 and contains 491 active caches. I'm not too worried about being that close to 500 since these are the oldest placed caches in Maine, and they are usually archived and not disabled.

Your dates will vary depending upon how many caches are active in Maine, how many Maine placed caches you have found, and when they were placed.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

But these dates can work for anyone using GSAK. I get all the caches for the stats, but I also use the same database for caching. All you have to do is filter out found and placed caches. I have to filter out archived as well since they are in the same database.

The biggest benefit of only having unfound caches in your database if to cut down on the number of PQs. But except for the power cachers, there probably is not much difference between a set of PQs with all the caches and the unfound. Foe example, 10 PQs will get me every cache in the state, but I still need 8 PQs for the 3723 unfound Maine caches I have in my database.

I like having all the Maine caches in one database. I don't have to load the web page to look up old caches or to post a link to them online.

I also keep several other databases, including one of my finds, but that has out of state caches as well.

It's all a matter of what works for you.
    Last edited by brdad; 08-22-2009 at 07:56 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Take your time and read the article.

As I stated several times in the article and if you follow the instructions, you will discover that this article is for all the caches in the state.

It doesn't matter if you have done any or not. Nothing has any baring on these dates or how many caches you get.

These are the dates to get you the lowest number of PQ's and all the active caches in Maine.

I need them all weather I have found them or not so I can do different things with GSAK and I share Geocaching with many many people so I need even the caches I have found to take the new cachers to.
    Last edited by Ekidokai; 10-05-2009 at 10:12 AM.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Ok, So I finally paid up fo the premium membership to begin playing with PQ's and to learn GSAK. In trying to set up these PQ's, why is it that I can get numbers ok unless I set the "From Origin" to My Home coordinates. I ran a few PQ's the first night and it wouldn't work so i just ran them with nothing selected. I dont want GSAK thinking these are over 3000 miles away. What am I doing wrong?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

I know I had the same problem. You have two options... First pick a cache near your home location and tell GSAK to use that as a center point, or give GSAK your exact home coordinates and reset you home location to those coordinates.

The first can be done from the tool bar on GSAK in the button "Centre Point"

For calculating distance and bearing from your home location you must add a location called "Home" Tools=> options, then click on the "locations" tab
    Last edited by Ekidokai; 08-25-2009 at 11:24 AM.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Thanks Mike. After trying several different ways, I finally got it figured out. It's going to take quite some time to learn GSAK but should be fun.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

The locations feature it great. Add in your favorite cities or where you go to camp or fishing spots or whatever. When they're saved, it only takes a second to see if there are any must-do caches nearby.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

If you like to I can make a program for you. You will upload your finds file and you will get date ranges customized just for you