vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: API question

Default API question

I have a question for you iPhone, Blackberry and android geeks.

In the forums software setting there is this question and at the current time it is set to NO.

Allow clients to connect to vBulletin API.
    I don't really understand API. Should I enable this and if I do what benefits will the phone users get from this?
    Blazing Troll

Everybody must be sleeping through your storm Rick. Sorry I can't help yah.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I believe this is only enable if you have an outside application that needs to access the site. It has no effect on smartphones that browse to the forum using their browser.

Yes, allowing access to the API would ope up access to the database without visiting the site directly. Probably not something we want. This is how many software writers want access to gc.com. By accessing them by an api so they could get virtually unlimited cache data without needing to visit the site or getting PQs.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Yes, allowing access to the API would ope up access to the database without visiting the site directly. Probably not something we want. This is how many software writers want access to gc.com. By accessing them by an api so they could get virtually unlimited cache data without needing to visit the site or getting PQs.
    And what's wrong with that?
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I have a question for you iPhone, Blackberry and android geeks.

In the forums software setting there is this question and at the current time it is set to NO.

I don't really understand API. Should I enable this and if I do what benefits will the phone users get from this?
    If you enable it I may write a standalone APP or desktop widget for Android to access this site where you would be able to quickly check the news, maybe chat, ... I don't know what this does.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    And what's wrong with that?
    Nothing for the entities that find it in their best interest. Google maps API allows people to embed their maps elsewhere which is great. I think gc.com's argument was allowing blanket access to their API would open the door for individuals or companies to list their cache listings on their own site. Doesn't make it right or wrong, it's just a business decision they made.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Nothing for the entities that find it in their best interest. Google maps API allows people to embed their maps elsewhere which is great. I think gc.com's argument was allowing blanket access to their API would open the door for individuals or companies to list their cache listings on their own site. Doesn't make it right or wrong, it's just a business decision they made.
    Opening API will make new and interesting project possible.
    Yes, gc.com is a business, it's not about a gocaching or about interest of all of us, the only purpose of gc.com is to generate money for them, they couldn't care less about geocaching community. The good thing is a new geocaching sites are emerging and eventually will render gc.com obsolete.
    Moo

So how do you really feel about GC.com......
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Wow I think I agree with Cano. That's scary.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.