vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: API question

I'm glad that GC is making money. It would be tough to convince several dozen people to work on my source of entertainment for 40 hours a week for free!

I was looking around on Garmin's site yesterday and clicked on the opencaching link. Good thing gc.com is here. Would take about 3 days of gentle caching and you'd be all done with Maine caches listed there. It may be a fledgling site, but it's gonna be a while before it takes off here in Maine if more people don't list caches there.

Keep in mind also that most of the caches listed in Maine are already on GC.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    I was looking around on Garmin's site yesterday and clicked on the opencaching link. Good thing gc.com is here. Would take about 3 days of gentle caching and you'd be all done with Maine caches listed there. It may be a fledgling site, but it's gonna be a while before it takes off here in Maine if more people don't list caches there.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Keep in mind also that most of the caches listed in Maine are already on GC.com.
    Exactly.

I think it's great that despite becoming the business they have, they can still provide the core experience to anyone that wants it for free. Most any activity I have ever been involved in cost me more per day than gc.com charges for an entire year.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Most any activity I have ever been involved in cost me more per day than gc.com charges for an entire year.
    That's not my point. It doesn't matter how much it costs you. If they do it for money, they will optimize it for the most profit, if they do it for the game, they will optimize it to make the game better. With their focus on profit we are loosing just to mention:
    unlimited access and distribution of cache data,
    ability to use any alternative geocaching app on a mobile device,
    ability to develop a good wherigo player, since the specification of wherigo cartridge is not disclosed and their player is a total crap
    and much more...

So it's not about it costs you less than a toilet paper, it's about it cost you the better game itself.
    Moo

Cano, I agree with you but what can we do about it? Our hands are tied. I agree Jeremy needs to make money to keep the webs sites and sever going and maybe to some profit for himself but I am sure that Jeremy is now rolling in the money. If you think about it we are all doing all his work for him for free. We are the ones that are putting out and maintaining all the caches for him and keeping the caches up to date in his database. The cache approvers do not get paid for overseeing and approving caches so they are doing that for free too. All he does is maintain the servers and the software. He get the $30 or $35 a year for all the users that become premium members and then he gets all the profits off the Google ads that are posted all over gc.com. It is a hobby that we all enjoy and he has us by the gonads and we doing everything for him while he is getting rich off it. It to bad but that is the way of the world it seems like.
    Blazing Troll

I pay for GSAK too, Clyde started it out as a hobby project but had to give up his job in order to work full time making GSAK what it is. All the more power to him, and a better program we get for his efforts.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I pay for GSAK too, Clyde started it out as a hobby project but had to give up his job in order to work full time making GSAK what it is. All the more power to him, and a better program we get for his efforts.
    How would GSAK look like if it was closed and nobody was allowed to make their own macros? Now compare it to gc.com now when it's closed and if gc.com was open.
    Moo

Post Not uncommon

There are many successful people who turned a hobby into a business. It's the way life is. You have to make money to live. If you can turn a passion into a paycheck what's wrong with that. While everyone doesn't like how GC.com operates, there are plenty who do like it just the way it is. I being one of them. I have met and talked to Jeremy on several occasions, and he is a nice approachable guy. If he makes money doing what he likes so be it. I guess if that upsets some people you still have the option to go get caches from one of the other sources. Groundspeak was the first and is still the biggest listing service for geocaches. Maybe that will change and maybe it won't
    Happy Trails!