Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Chat night

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,544

    Thumbs up Chat night

    We have a new chat room. It is a big hit. Come on by and join in the fun.

    You'll love it!
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,544

    Default

    Friday was a big draw maybe because of the storm,but we had 15 or more in there the first day. Everybody loves it.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    I did like that it attracted people. Not sure if this was because of the snow, the new site, or ability to get in to chat.

    There are a few flaws, it does boot you out after a period of inactivity. Not sure if this setting can be adjusted or not.
    Links from external applications cannot be pasted into the chat by all users either. This seems to be dependent on the user's Java version.
    Also, at least one user was blocked from getting in by unknown security settings, similar to the old Java chat.

    I'd still like to find an IRC based chat that will work well on the site and will keep the IRC chat active.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,544

    Default

    Leave it alone it is better than the last one every body can get in and the people that matter like it this way. The ping can be set also.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    and the people that matter like it this way.
    No offense, but that statement comes off kinda rude and disrespectful. Isn't everyone supposed to matter?

    Here's a list of negatives for the new chat implementation:

    Costs money unless using the basic edition
    Proprietary technology
    No third-party chat access
    Requires Java
    Can only be access with a browser
    Disconnects users including closing the entire chat window
    Poor notification feature (sounds get annoying fast and the popup window gets annoying even faster, no flashing tab/task bar)
    Not well documented
    Most can't paste urls
    No mobile compatibly
    Smaller user base/community
    and more

    One thing that may have contributed to problems with the IRC based chat was that the IRC server was hosted externally on a server that was accessed by thousands of people at once with hundreds of chat rooms open and running at once.
    One possible solution may be to host your own private IRC server on your own system.

    With a chat protocol like IRC a person could access it from a third-party chat client, of which there are tons out there. Some great examples are Trillian (Windows, OSX, Android, iOS, Blackberry), Adium (OSX), Pidgin (Windows, OSX, Various Linux OS's), mIRC (Windows), Yaaic (Android), Linkinus (OSX, iOS), Colloquy, (iOS), and TONS more.

    Using IRC i could have a chat client just sitting, running in the background, on my phone and if I'm out geochaching and need a bit of help I could get live help from whoever is in the chatroom. Also if I'm sitting at my computer I can use a chat client and have the chatroom as just another screenname on my chat Buddy list mixed in with the people on facebook chat or aim or msn, etc). The new chat is very inconvenient.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,544

    Default

    Ah I see. So we had much more people on that first night that was not a chat night than there has been for a long time. Even the new people could get right on without having to figure out how to change their entire computer system around just to get into a chat.

    Most of us out here don't spend a lot of time messing around with computer systems. We have much better things to do and like it when things work right out of the box like they are supposed to. Kind of why geocaching is so popular. Getting people away from the computers and outside into real life.

    Now as far as the people that matter, well that is not really what it sounds like. The computer geeks can complain all they want about all that computer guru stuff. The people that matter and don't know what your talking about or could care less, like the stuff when it works. It works fine now without screwing around with the settings and codes and other things. We don't need to have it running in the back ground while playing games and harvesting crops and whatever else. Most of us don't need to post URLs and pictures and stuff.

    Just get in there and talk. Enjoy each other and let it be. You can still do that guru stuff some other time.

    By the way...I'm not PC. That is a failed experiment.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    [x, y, z, t]
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    The computer geeks can complain all they want about all that computer guru stuff. The people that matter and don't know what your talking about or could care less
    Really? The computer geeks made the new chat (even it's a crap) and the old chat and everything else you are looking at at this moment possible.
    Last edited by brdad; 04-03-2011 at 08:26 AM.
    Moo

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Ah I see. So we had much more people on that first night that was not a chat night than there has been for a long time. Even the new people could get right on without having to figure out how to change their entire computer system around just to get into a chat.

    Most of us out here don't spend a lot of time messing around with computer systems. We have much better things to do and like it when things work right out of the box like they are supposed to. Kind of why geocaching is so popular. Getting people away from the computers and outside into real life.

    Now as far as the people that matter, well that is not really what it sounds like. The computer geeks can complain all they want about all that computer guru stuff. The people that matter and don't know what your talking about or could care less, like the stuff when it works. It works fine now without screwing around with the settings and codes and other things. We don't need to have it running in the back ground while playing games and harvesting crops and whatever else. Most of us don't need to post URLs and pictures and stuff.

    Just get in there and talk. Enjoy each other and let it be. You can still do that guru stuff some other time.

    By the way...I'm not PC. That is a failed experiment.
    Did you know you come off kinda snarky at times? The list wasn't meant to be solely directed at you. I just wanted to lay down some examples for the entire community so some others could possibly have a better understanding of where I was coming from. As for having so many problems with the previous system, maybe a large issue deals with what you just said. That a lot of people just don't know much about 'todays' basic technology. It might help for those types of people to put in a bit more effort to increase their 'tech' knowledge and stay with the times. As it is, I've never had a problem with the old chatroom and I am far from a computer geek/guru. I couldn't code to save my life. Most of the more technical stuff I might talk about I could never implement myself, yet I do know how to use todays tech so that im not reliant on others.

    As it is now, the new chat encourages just what you are talking about. It actually cause people to spend more time sitting at their computer. Currently with the new chat, I have to sit at my computer with the chatroom open and not being able to multi-task if I want to pay attention to whats happening in the room. With the old system, if I was getting work done on the computer, I could have the chatroom open and have it notify me when people talk without it being annoying or intrusive. Also, if I happened to be out and about geocaching or doing whatever, I pull out my phone and see what people are talking about or even ask questions right then and there. Not possible with the new system. And if you want to bring up any negatives about the smartphone angle, like it or not, thats where a huge influx of new geocachers are coming from.
    I understand it is hard to find the perfect sytem that's suitable for everyone, but I just think the new system is a step in the wrong direction.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by inhUMaine View Post
    Did you know you come off kinda snarky at times?
    Hit up a breakfast event or any of the other events that are attended by the snarky one....You'll find that personalities may clash a lot online due to the lack of tone/ context in the written form but he's really a decent guy once you get past the appearance thing...
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    Hit up a breakfast event or any of the other events that are attended by the snarky one....You'll find that personalities may clash a lot online due to the lack of tone/ context in the written form but he's really a decent guy once you get past the appearance thing...
    I totally agree and actually don't have any problems with Ekidokai. I was just kind of referring to his online forum writing style really. Even though I haven't met yet, I still think he's a nice guy. Heck, he was the first and only other cacher who has ever gone out of his way and contacted me. This was when i posted a DNF on one of his caches. He gave me a hint and then told me about the breakfast that was coming up (haven't made it to one yet, but I definitely will once they start up again). Ekidokai and most cachers i've talked to privately have been friendly and helpful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •