vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chat night

Thumbs up Chat night

We have a new chat room. It is a big hit. Come on by and join in the fun.

You'll love it!
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Friday was a big draw maybe because of the storm,but we had 15 or more in there the first day. Everybody loves it.

I did like that it attracted people. Not sure if this was because of the snow, the new site, or ability to get in to chat.

There are a few flaws, it does boot you out after a period of inactivity. Not sure if this setting can be adjusted or not.
    Links from external applications cannot be pasted into the chat by all users either. This seems to be dependent on the user's Java version.
    Also, at least one user was blocked from getting in by unknown security settings, similar to the old Java chat.

I'd still like to find an IRC based chat that will work well on the site and will keep the IRC chat active.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Leave it alone it is better than the last one every body can get in and the people that matter like it this way. The ping can be set also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    and the people that matter like it this way.
    No offense, but that statement comes off kinda rude and disrespectful. Isn't everyone supposed to matter?

Here's a list of negatives for the new chat implementation:

Costs money unless using the basic edition
    Proprietary technology
    No third-party chat access
    Requires Java
    Can only be access with a browser
    Disconnects users including closing the entire chat window
    Poor notification feature (sounds get annoying fast and the popup window gets annoying even faster, no flashing tab/task bar)
    Not well documented
    Most can't paste urls
    No mobile compatibly
    Smaller user base/community
    and more

One thing that may have contributed to problems with the IRC based chat was that the IRC server was hosted externally on a server that was accessed by thousands of people at once with hundreds of chat rooms open and running at once.
    One possible solution may be to host your own private IRC server on your own system.

With a chat protocol like IRC a person could access it from a third-party chat client, of which there are tons out there. Some great examples are Trillian (Windows, OSX, Android, iOS, Blackberry), Adium (OSX), Pidgin (Windows, OSX, Various Linux OS's), mIRC (Windows), Yaaic (Android), Linkinus (OSX, iOS), Colloquy, (iOS), and TONS more.

Using IRC i could have a chat client just sitting, running in the background, on my phone and if I'm out geochaching and need a bit of help I could get live help from whoever is in the chatroom. Also if I'm sitting at my computer I can use a chat client and have the chatroom as just another screenname on my chat Buddy list mixed in with the people on facebook chat or aim or msn, etc). The new chat is very inconvenient.

Ah I see. So we had much more people on that first night that was not a chat night than there has been for a long time. Even the new people could get right on without having to figure out how to change their entire computer system around just to get into a chat.

Most of us out here don't spend a lot of time messing around with computer systems. We have much better things to do and like it when things work right out of the box like they are supposed to. Kind of why geocaching is so popular. Getting people away from the computers and outside into real life.

Now as far as the people that matter, well that is not really what it sounds like. The computer geeks can complain all they want about all that computer guru stuff. The people that matter and don't know what your talking about or could care less, like the stuff when it works. It works fine now without screwing around with the settings and codes and other things. We don't need to have it running in the back ground while playing games and harvesting crops and whatever else. Most of us don't need to post URLs and pictures and stuff.

Just get in there and talk. Enjoy each other and let it be. You can still do that guru stuff some other time.

By the way...I'm not PC. That is a failed experiment.

The biggest problem with the previous IRC chat was not the IRC servers, it was security issues with the Java interface. In an ideal world, we would have an IRC-based chat which was accessible via traditional IRC clients as well as a reliable browser-based interface here on the web site. There may be a few options to try, but there are more important site issues to clean up first.

It might be nice to hear from those that have used the new chat to know why they did try it out. Just because it was new? Did they have trouble getting in before?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I had all kinds of trouble getting in with the old system and many others did too. I even tried the suggested other systems and all they did was screw up my connections on almost everything else on my computer that had been running just fine before.

Then even with the new systems I still could not get on. So how could that be any better a system? It is not.

This one runs great right out of the box and most have liked it that have come in. Mostly because no changes needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    The computer geeks can complain all they want about all that computer guru stuff. The people that matter and don't know what your talking about or could care less
    Really? The computer geeks made the new chat (even it's a crap) and the old chat and everything else you are looking at at this moment possible.
    Last edited by brdad; 04-03-2011 at 08:26 AM.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    The biggest problem with the previous IRC chat was not the IRC servers, it was security issues with the Java interface. In an ideal world, we would have an IRC-based chat which was accessible via traditional IRC clients as well as a reliable browser-based interface here on the web site. There may be a few options to try, but there are more important site issues to clean up first.

It might be nice to hear from those that have used the new chat to know why they did try it out. Just because it was new? Did they have trouble getting in before?
    In ideal word a chat would be based on XMPP protocol and front end implemented using HTML and AJAX, you would be able to access it from the site without need of any third party plugin or using any XMPP client of your choice, in addition you would be able to use your own XMPP account you use now or a geocachingmaine account (when connecting from the site)
    Moo