vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chat night

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    In ideal word a chat would be based on XMPP protocol and front end implemented using HTML and AJAX, you would be able to access it from the site without need of any third party plugin or using any XMPP client of your choice, in addition you would be able to use your own XMPP account you use now or a geocachingmaine account (when connecting from the site)
    Sheesh! And I always thought military acronyms and jargon were hard to understand. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! And I always thought military acronyms and jargon were hard to understand. LOL!
    A couple examples of what he is talking about are Facebook Chat, and Gtalk inside of Gmail

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    In ideal word a chat would be based on XMPP protocol and front end implemented using HTML and AJAX, you would be able to access it from the site without need of any third party plugin or using any XMPP client of your choice, in addition you would be able to use your own XMPP account you use now or a geocachingmaine account (when connecting from the site)
    Yes, I had something like this running on the site many years ago and the problem I ran into was attacks on and it would really bog down the server really bad. With third party plugin you are using someone else's server so if anything happens in chat it does not effect our serve.
    Blazing Troll

I got right in on chat last night and found it to be very easy. I give it a thumbs up.

I like that you can see how many people are in the chat room from the home page now.

Smile

Tomorrow is chat night

Come on in and try it out.

It is fun and easy.

Lately the room has been busy all times of the day and night, everyday.

Officially the fun starts at eight, but come on by anytime.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

It tells you a number. Not necessarily how many are in the chat. It seems to update irregularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Ah I see. So we had much more people on that first night that was not a chat night than there has been for a long time. Even the new people could get right on without having to figure out how to change their entire computer system around just to get into a chat.

Most of us out here don't spend a lot of time messing around with computer systems. We have much better things to do and like it when things work right out of the box like they are supposed to. Kind of why geocaching is so popular. Getting people away from the computers and outside into real life.

Now as far as the people that matter, well that is not really what it sounds like. The computer geeks can complain all they want about all that computer guru stuff. The people that matter and don't know what your talking about or could care less, like the stuff when it works. It works fine now without screwing around with the settings and codes and other things. We don't need to have it running in the back ground while playing games and harvesting crops and whatever else. Most of us don't need to post URLs and pictures and stuff.

Just get in there and talk. Enjoy each other and let it be. You can still do that guru stuff some other time.

By the way...I'm not PC. That is a failed experiment.
    Did you know you come off kinda snarky at times? The list wasn't meant to be solely directed at you. I just wanted to lay down some examples for the entire community so some others could possibly have a better understanding of where I was coming from. As for having so many problems with the previous system, maybe a large issue deals with what you just said. That a lot of people just don't know much about 'todays' basic technology. It might help for those types of people to put in a bit more effort to increase their 'tech' knowledge and stay with the times. As it is, I've never had a problem with the old chatroom and I am far from a computer geek/guru. I couldn't code to save my life. Most of the more technical stuff I might talk about I could never implement myself, yet I do know how to use todays tech so that im not reliant on others.

As it is now, the new chat encourages just what you are talking about. It actually cause people to spend more time sitting at their computer. Currently with the new chat, I have to sit at my computer with the chatroom open and not being able to multi-task if I want to pay attention to whats happening in the room. With the old system, if I was getting work done on the computer, I could have the chatroom open and have it notify me when people talk without it being annoying or intrusive. Also, if I happened to be out and about geocaching or doing whatever, I pull out my phone and see what people are talking about or even ask questions right then and there. Not possible with the new system. And if you want to bring up any negatives about the smartphone angle, like it or not, thats where a huge influx of new geocachers are coming from.
    I understand it is hard to find the perfect sytem that's suitable for everyone, but I just think the new system is a step in the wrong direction.

Quote Originally Posted by inhUMaine View Post
    Did you know you come off kinda snarky at times?
    Hit up a breakfast event or any of the other events that are attended by the snarky one....You'll find that personalities may clash a lot online due to the lack of tone/ context in the written form but he's really a decent guy once you get past the appearance thing...
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    Hit up a breakfast event or any of the other events that are attended by the snarky one....You'll find that personalities may clash a lot online due to the lack of tone/ context in the written form but he's really a decent guy once you get past the appearance thing...
    I totally agree and actually don't have any problems with Ekidokai. I was just kind of referring to his online forum writing style really. Even though I haven't met yet, I still think he's a nice guy. Heck, he was the first and only other cacher who has ever gone out of his way and contacted me. This was when i posted a DNF on one of his caches. He gave me a hint and then told me about the breakfast that was coming up (haven't made it to one yet, but I definitely will once they start up again). Ekidokai and most cachers i've talked to privately have been friendly and helpful.