vb:literal>

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I'm Pretty Sure I Did The Wrong Thing, But...

I can one up all of you. We logged a find and then took the cache with us. We were doing Laughing Terry's series around the Deadwater Road in Moscow when we found one of his caches. It really didn't appreciate being run over by what ever piece of equipment was offloaded at GZ. I still have the log in my possession to prove we signed the log. lol

One of these days we'll actually be able to catch up to LT and return the log and the salvagable contents of his cache.

And I said yes didn't I! I appreciated the log also because I now knew that there was a problem with my hide and the next day replaced the container and also saw Jasons signature all over the top of the old one. It is nice to have people out there that know when a cache needs to be maintained and let the owner know about it. Thanks again FFJ!!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Just today I went to a location and found some velcro nailed to the base of a small tree just off a walking trail and my GPSr was saying I was at GZ so I just sent an e-mail to the owner letting them know I think it is missing and that I had a great time walking the trail they put me on and I would be back later on if it gets replaced or they may tell me I was looking at a decoy at teh wrong location but to may mugglers to look much harder.

Geez Dan, I'm told to keep my log notes more simple and to rein in my imagination. WTF?
    I smell cache...

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I just sent a note to "acamden1" a new cacher with 20 finds. Logs a find, posts nothing whatsoever. My note was positive but with out a little more and an indication that the cache was found, I'll probably delete the supposed find. What does the gang feel about that? I hope I get a positive find from the cacher, by the way.
    He/she has edited their log and I see left a nice geocoin there too. Nice work Dan - as they haven't written in logs and perhaps didn't know!

Quote Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
    If you aren't interested in the numbers I suppose people could just cache, and probably do, and don't even log them online at all.
    That's true. Three of my sons cache occasionally, have online accounts, and don't log their finds. They do not care about their numbers at all. As for logging a cache as a find when you have not signed the log - I wouldn't do it. I once had a somewhat heated discussion with another cacher about this very thing (do you remember, "other cacher?"). His position was that he found the remnants of the cache on the ground (so did I) and the obvious spot where it had been located (me, too). He said it could be logged as a smiley; I said it required a DNF and a note to the CO. Just too valid opinions, as far as I'm concerned, and not something to lose sleep over, all these years later!

As a cache owner, I really appreciate the long and thoughtful logs that people write for my cache. I like them so much I put them on my scrapbook pages. But, if another cacher finds it and writes a brief log online, I'm okay with that, too. As others have mentioned, there are so many reasons why a person might not write a lot. I don't take it personally; I simply treasure the ones who take the time and effort to describe their experience with my cache hide. I'm just saying....
    Appreciate everyone who has ever come into your life- for some come in as a blessing and others come in as a lesson.

Since this thread has gone astray a little I'll add me two cents.

I have replaced caches many times along with logs and swag. I'll only do this if I am certain I know where the cache was hidden. No big problem for me and it seems easier than writing a needs maintenance log. I'm there on the spot and have the materials needed.

On the other hand I have seen caches replaced just because the original could not be found. That is just bad form and I have seen how it justifiably upsets the cache owner.

I have also seen how not logging a DNF can screw things up. If you go looking for a cache and no mention of it is made, no one else knows anything is going on. I tend to look at the logs for caches I am planning on searching for. If the cache should be an easy one and there are several DNF's I'll make sure I take the materials along to fix it up. If there is no DNF on a cache of mine I'll not know anything is possibly wrong or be able to offer assistance to the searchers. I like to offer help to people when they log DNF's because a great man once told me "caches are meant to be found". I take that to heart.

So again I'll say it...The only thing Native Mainer did wrong was try and do the right thing. Where I come from you do not say anything more that the minimum or it will come back to bite you.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I still think I have a higher percentage of DNFs then most. Early on I would skip logging them. Then after I had placed caches, I found the worth of logging DNFs
    Is there a way of calculating your DNF logs?

I've had days with 11 DNFs and 9 finds!

you can count them from My Finds Pocket query
    Moo