vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm Pretty Sure I Did The Wrong Thing, But...

Default I'm Pretty Sure I Did The Wrong Thing, But...

Last night (4/6) I went looking for a cache nearby and I was trying to find one that was a quick to find because it was late and I was trying to keep my 100 day challenge streak alive. I went to a cache which was a bison tube, but when I got there, all I found was the top of said bison tube, the bottom part with the log was missing. I logged it as a find anyways, even though I couldn't sign the log (I did find the cache, after all, IMO). I also left a message that the cache needed maintenance.

This morning (4/7) I got notification that my log had been deleted. The message I got from the cache owner said that I should have logged it as a DNF. Yes, technically, I should have. I'm not worried about my streak ending, because I was only 14 days into it. If I didn't find the cache container completely, yes I would've logged a DNF, but where I found part of the cache, I felt I should be able to log it as a find.

I know it is at the discretion of the cache owner whether to allow this or not, and in this case, the cache owner decided not to allow it. If the exact situation happened to one of my caches, I would have allowed the log, but that's just me. I know that I'm supposed to sign the log in order to claim the find, but in this instance, I couldn't.

Did I misstep here?
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

well. that's a sticky wicket..............

IMHO, you found all there was to find of the cache. You had what was available to you in your hand. If it were mine, you would have a Found.

I would have allowed it but I probably would have replaced the bisson tube with one from my repair kit. That might have made the CO a little more receptive to you logging a find. Message here, it's spring, a lot of caches will need maintenance. It's great for the game and your own standing in the community to replace an occassional wet log, missing nano or other repairs.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

My interpretation of the accepted rule that you must sign the log in order to make the find is that you must find the actual cache and be able to access it to sign the log. This is to prove that you were there and that you were able to physically hold the cache and open it.

If what you found was the actual cache (or a major part of it - and not a 'dummy' cache), and upon finding there was no log, marked your visit to the cache, either by placing a sticker on it with your name, adding a new piece of paper with your name, or taking a marker and marking the actual remainder of the cache; signing in blood if necessary - then to me, that is a find.

If I didn't meet those requirements, I probably would not claim it as a find. If it had been my cache you found, I probably would have allowed you to claim the find if you could accurately describe the cache in words or with a picture.

It does not sound like you did, but if you surely found the cache and had left a signed piece of paper in the cache, you'd have a valid argument to have your log reinstated by grounspeak (deleted logs are not fully deleted from the system, they are just hidden from view.)
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

The only situation we've run into that was similar was one of dblbogey's and we found the container but couldn't get it out of the ice. We logged it as a find but it bugged us until we finally went back up there and signed it. Technically, we found the cache but should have logged it online the day we signed the log. Dblbogey allowed us to keep the original log date online so we dated the paper log as such.

Ive done something similar in the past with a cache in the Bangor City Forest. I went to do the first cache out on the railroad bed and had the two boys with me. Somewhere along the trail, the pen I had with me had fallen out of the stroller. Knowing there were two other caches nearby, I went to those to borrow the writing utensil. I got to the closest cache which was the Hare Trail and there was no writing utensil in it. I went to the next nearest cache, the Lynx Trail, and again, nothing there either. I decided in the end to just take my picture with cache in hand as a temporary log knowing that I'd be back out there and would sign the paper in the next passing. The cache owner didnt delete it and the paper log was signed the next time I passed it.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Yeah, I've been kind of lax when it comes to carrying repair equipment with me. It's my fault for thinking that everyone would be as lenient as I would in this case. If the whole thing was missing, then I would've DNF'd it (or just moved on to the next cache).

Thanks for your input, everyone. I was a little upset when the log was deleted, but I know it was my own fault. I was kind of mad that put an end to my attempt at the 100 day challenge, but now I'll just wait for people to put out some more caches in the area (yay, springtime!) and start over again. I was also mad at the CO for the terse tone that he used when he wrote a note explaining why he deleted the log, but again, that was my fault for thinking that people would think the same way that I do.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

The only wrong thing you did was try and do the right thing.

I hope you learned your lesson.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

The sad part is Mike has a point. If you had just logged a find and not mentioned the log/container, your find would have been welcomed.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."