vb:literal>

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Cache and Cache Hider Stats

Lightbulb Maine Cache and Cache Hider Stats

I've been picking away at a project which takes a database of all caches ever published in Maine and spits out an HTML file and a few graphs and maps of Maine cache statistics. It's nearly fully automated, so I should be able to easily update it every so often. It may still have a few bugs, so let me know if you think there's an error or see anything spelled incorrectly.

The page can be accessed from the articles menu on the main page or here:

Maine Geocaching Stats

Feel free to use this thread to post your comments or suggestions.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Cool stuff . . . but I have to say that I thought I had a lot of extra time at work!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Webcam Cache 8/29/04 Collins Pond (GCKDF0) blevesque
    Very cool stats Dave!

Collins pond is not a webcam.

wow... way too much time... i want your job
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    Very cool stats Dave!

Yeah we found the remnants of Collins Pond cache the year before last on our first group event up Nawth. So it must be either the Houlton or Presque Isle webcam cache.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    Very cool stats Dave!

Yep, that's one of the bugs that was on my list, but I forgot. Thanks.

I know why it's there, too.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Kudos! Nice work!

I have two suggestions, if you want them (no criticism! Just ideas, if you still have too much free time )

For the trend-over-time graphs (monthly cache approvals and archivals), a "color impaired" viewer (such as myself) may have trouble seeing the color corresponding to each year. Putting the labels right in the year lines would make that a bit more clear. And yes, for the record, I had to photoshop EaglEyeStash to solve it ).

For the cache density map, rather than squares, give each point a gaussian splatter, then normalize over the whole map and translate that to a color (like blue to red). At the scale you have it, a radius of 4 or 5 pixels per SD should give a nice effect.

But looks good... I never realized the NE corner of the state had so many caches.
    Ego non quaero te in nomine Patris, sed in nomine Signali.

Technically, Tidal Earthcache is a conversion from a virtual. This is a very fine point as it was the the first actual earthcache in Maine. It is not as old as it appears. There were many earthcaches before Tidal Earthcache was converted, but the placed date is reflects the day the virtual was placed, not when it was converted. I only bring this up because it is posible that some of the other data may be flawed in this manor also.

How about adding the highest and lowest caches?

Ok, I have fixed one error no one has mentioned, and put a bandaid on the Collins Pond issue. Anyway, the info should be accurate now.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by ribnag View Post

For the cache density map, rather than squares, give each point a gaussian splatter, then normalize over the whole map and translate that to a color (like blue to red). At the scale you have it, a radius of 4 or 5 pixels per SD should give a nice effect.
    This is something that I've been wanting to see (and don't have the skill to impliment) for quite a while. When I'm looking for a place to cache, if I can see 'hot spots' that I haven't done, it would make it easier to see areas I haven't visited yet.