vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First To Finds... Are they Still Cool?!?!

Question First To Finds... Are they Still Cool?!?!

My bf and I have recently joked that we must have missed the memo that FTF's aren't cool anymore... but in all seriousness do people just not cache this time of year? Over the summer and fall we would attempt to get FTF's and would end up third when it had been posted less than an hour previously! But this spring FTF's seem to be easy to get. We went for one last week right after it had been posted and the owner had forgotten to actually place the cache! We went back the next day and managed to get the FTF, but there is still less than 5 people to find it and its a quick PNG on a busy road. And over the weekend we placed our first hide (a very exciting process for us) and NO ONE has even looked for it yet! It just blows my mind!! FTF's are exciting and a thrill for us, and always seemed to be that many cachers felt the same way... Is this a common thing in the winter/spring?! or is the excitement for the game in the local area going down hill?!?!

Welcome to the site!

FTFs are cool if you want them to be. I've gotten a few and several may be worth bragging about. But I'll take the original reason for hiding a cache any day over an FTF, and that is to take you to somewhere you would not have gone otherwise.

I'd be more apt to go for an FTF on a more interesting or tougher cache. If it's just a PNG, that's like bragging about finding a grain of sand at the beach.

Maine has a good number of caches available for FTF that were placed over 100 days ago, six of which were placed over a year ago, two of those six are over two years old - now those are some FTFs worth bragging about!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

My husband and I go after an FTF when we can on the days he has off from work. Loads of fun to find that empty log!!! Especially when I find out I beat out my brother or his best friend to the cache!! THAT is what makes if wicked fun! I am SUCH a little sister!! LOL
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

FTFs for me are fun but my personal family commitments and prior commitments come first. I am not one who gets notice by phone so I must read about the publication first.

My filter is set for a certain radius of my home. The further from home, the less likely I will run for an FTF. It used to be folks put little things in caches for FTF (a certificate, path tag, tinkle, cash) but I think that tread has certainly wained (perhaps based on the majority of container sizes being hidden).

Thank you for placing your cache. I am sure when/if I get to your area I will search for it (if I am able - terrain sometimes hinders me) and regardless - thanks for contributing to the game.

PS - I, too, remember my first hide.........it was a blast and I waited for logs with anticipation. It was how I made friends with Mainiac1957~

Quote Originally Posted by The S-O View Post
    My bf and I have recently joked that we must have missed the memo that FTF's aren't cool anymore... but in all seriousness do people just not cache this time of year? Over the summer and fall we would attempt to get FTF's and would end up third when it had been posted less than an hour previously! But this spring FTF's seem to be easy to get. We went for one last week right after it had been posted and the owner had forgotten to actually place the cache! We went back the next day and managed to get the FTF, but there is still less than 5 people to find it and its a quick PNG on a busy road. And over the weekend we placed our first hide (a very exciting process for us) and NO ONE has even looked for it yet! It just blows my mind!! FTF's are exciting and a thrill for us, and always seemed to be that many cachers felt the same way... Is this a common thing in the winter/spring?! or is the excitement for the game in the local area going down hill?!?!
    In my little corner of the world FTF's are still cool. The blast for me is to beat Tandemstoker,finsup or anyone else who dares try and take it away. However, life does get in the way sometimes and all you can do is sit back and cry over spilled milk.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Welcome to the site!

FTFs are cool if you want them to be. I've gotten a few and several may be worth bragging about. But I'll take the original reason for hiding a cache any day over an FTF, and that is to take you to somewhere you would not have gone otherwise.

I'd be more apt to go for an FTF on a more interesting or tougher cache. If it's just a PNG, that's like bragging about finding a grain of sand at the beach.

Maine has a good number of caches available for FTF that were placed over 100 days ago, six of which were placed over a year ago, two of those six are over two years old - now those are some FTFs worth bragging about!
    Brdad, as someone who has a progressive neurological illness that will eventally require the use of a wheelchair, I have to say that any find is worth bragging about, including park and grabs. I know you were being light hearted here, but let's not forget that you do not know the circumstances of all who visit this site. Lets make it welcoming for everyone, disabled included. My first, and only hide so far, is a PNG and I have received thank yous from disabled folks who have visited. There is room for everyone to play the game and there is no shame in not being able to hike into the woods to get a find.

Back on topic! I think FTF's are very cool! I am kind of a night owl, so I wish some would come out around 11-1AM. Usually by the time I am alert and oriented in the 'morning', they've already been discovered!

Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    Brdad, as someone who has a progressive neurological illness that will eventally require the use of a wheelchair, I gave to say that any find is worth bragging about including park and grabs. I know you were being light hearted here, but lets not forget that you do not know the circumstances of all who visit this site. Lets make it welcoming for everyone, disabled included.
    Point taken. I often stress similar reasoning when people try to compare numbers, and FTFs are no different in that regard.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

"I am kind of a night owl, so I wish some would come out around 11-1AM. Usually by the time I am alert and oriented in the 'morning', they've already been discovered"

YIKES!! if they came out at 11pm I would NEVER get one LOL
    Last edited by JustPJ66; 04-21-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: it didnt look right at all
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

It's good to hear that so many people are still wanting to get FTF's. I know we want to go out and find them when we can if they are not far away when they come in on the phone. We have some local people that we always tried to beat last year (*cough* Team TFTC *cough*) who always seem to give us a run for our money, until this spring when they seem to have fallen off the radar.
    Also thanks for all the welcomes to the site, you have all made me feel very welcome.

I enjoy chasing the FTFs but that darn place I have to go every day that gives me the paycheck that lets me do this crazy hobby keeps getting in the way I still try to beat SRS, Tandemstoker, Dubord and BAMM when I can but it does seem to be a little less often lately.