vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First To Finds... Are they Still Cool?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Fins_Up View Post
    I enjoy chasing the FTFs but that darn place I have to go every day that gives me the paycheck that lets me do this crazy hobby keeps getting in the way
    I completely understand that, definitely seems to get in the way. I always sigh a little when new alerts pop on to my phone at like 9am.... because i know that the retired population will beat me to it.... oh well... they had there time to work too...
    I am up in the china area quite often (born and raised there) so maybe i'll beat you to an ftf some weekend if it happens to get posted when i'm here! I know my parents (n1tck) keep an eye out for them and have nabbed a few in the area.

With 120 FTF's it's fair to say I've chased a few and some of these finds were very memorable. When gob-ler was in Maine and living in the Lewiston area, he still occassionally beat some of us to caches right here in our neighborhood. I remember one FTF I grabbed in the Vaughn Woods in Hallowell that I searched for about a half hour and nearly panicked when I saw gob-ler headed up the trail. I made the find moments before he would have grabbed it and we shared a few laughs. One night, five new ones came out in the Waterville area around 8:30 PM. We loaded up our caching gear, dinner, dogs and dashed out. One of the caches was down a road/path barely wide enough for one vehicle, let alone two and as we neared GZ I saw headlights coming out! Yeah, it was "great FTF hound" gob-ler proudly announcing that we were too late as our mirrors hit as we passed! I still like the occassional run but haven't figured out how to get the phone alerts on my new Mesmerize phone. When I do, let the chase begin!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I am still known to chase after a FTF or two or maybe three. Still cool if you ask me!

I may have slowed down a bit, but I still remember how to get it done!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Sometimes FTAs (First To Attempts) and DNFs are cool, especially when that first attempt is made over 6 years after the cache was placed!
    Dan should be proud, it took 3 logs to log a DNF...
    Where was Tom? This trek looks right up his alley!
    For anyone that doesn't know, CJ heads the nat'l chat.

The Green Lantern HydroCache #2 (Unknown/Mystery)(Micro) (GCKBCY) by Buck8Point, LaAnthropology, and BigC (4/5)
    Last edited by brdad; 04-24-2011 at 07:23 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Just read the logs...wow, tough hide! 13 mile paddle? This is why I'm learning to fly helicopters!

I think FTF's are REALLY cool. However, I have moved to Down East Maine, I am currently disabled with incredibly limited resources. So, with the nearest FTF's about 20 miles away, it gets cost prohibitive for 1 cache. Oh, and with the new disability, it can't be a very high terrain or long hike. This from someone who liked the challenge of a solo hike for a FTF on Tumbledown Mountain and the Moat Mountain Progressive Challenge. Our lives, health, priorities, finances and desires change. Bing in my current situation, I am very happy and proud to be the FTF of a GRC. it makes my day and I feel like I am still a geocacher.
    I still feel the jitters and excitement of the crisp empty logs, and likewise wait for posts on my new hides. for me, it never goes away...
    MARTES
    I smell cache...

Here's a FTF from yesterday, and a very impressive one at that. Check out mainiac1957's cache, GC2V1FT. The requirement is simple, just have a find for 365 consecutive days. Anybody reading this have that? gob-ler has and he notched the FTF yesterday after a "short" drive over to Maine from PA! Well done Dick!

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Here's a FTF from yesterday, and a very impressive one at that. Check out mainiac1957's cache, GC2V1FT. The requirement is simple, just have a find for 365 consecutive days. Anybody reading this have that? gob-ler has and he notched the FTF yesterday after a "short" drive over to Maine from PA! Well done Dick!
    And all he said in the log was " " just to get on Dan's good side.

Actually, he wrote a really excellent log.
    Last edited by JustKev; 04-29-2011 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Little fix.

That is a really impressive FTF!!

Wink Forgot just one detail....

I think you sorta forgot the part about how he was in Lewiston for a family function. Now just running from there to here is still a lot for a FTF, BUT the man has over 1100 of them. And hew didn't get that many by holding back.
    Happy Trails!