vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Question for Members

After reading all these posts, especially Hollora's new one and Dan's, and the private messages i shared with Dave, i would like to speak for what I, as a donating member, would like to see:
    1) The option to receive the group email as a button which cachers can accept or opt out.
    2) The board members minutes in each edition, in brief summary. Include votes, but not names of who said yay or nay. Let us members know what is going on. What are the issues with the board and the community? What decisions are you making on my behalf.
    3) Endorse all charitable events: I am all for Relay for life and appreciate the work Daniel and Dave have done. But I also have my own charities which are near and dear to me, which I feel are of no less value. I have 2 autistic step grandchildren, and I have an intense passion for Alzheimer's disease. I think we need to embrace all events: human, animal, and earth.
    4) I would like to see other board members from a few other regions. You have the majority in the Bangor area. I think it's important to have diversity of area/region, and of walks of life. Business, lawyers, teachers, medical, blue collar, white collar, industry, corporate, home makers, disabled, enabled...just to name a few. We all have different views and values for our areas and selves.
    5) What is the process of election to the board? Is there a re-election process to weed out dead weight or control?
    I smell cache...

Quote Originally Posted by MARTES View Post
    After reading all these posts, especially Hollora's new one and Dan's, and the private messages i shared with Dave, i would like to speak for what I, as a donating member, would like to see:
    1) The option to receive the group email as a button which cachers can accept or opt out.
    2) The board members minutes in each edition, in brief summary. Include votes, but not names of who said yay or nay. Let us members know what is going on. What are the issues with the board and the community? What decisions are you making on my behalf.
    3) Endorse all charitable events: I am all for Relay for life and appreciate the work Daniel and Dave have done. But I also have my own charities which are near and dear to me, which I feel are of no less value. I have 2 autistic step grandchildren, and I have an intense passion for Alzheimer's disease. I think we need to embrace all events: human, animal, and earth.
    4) I would like to see other board members from a few other regions. You have the majority in the Bangor area. I think it's important to have diversity of area/region, and of walks of life. Business, lawyers, teachers, medical, blue collar, white collar, industry, corporate, home makers, disabled, enabled...just to name a few. We all have different views and values for our areas and selves.
    5) What is the process of election to the board? Is there a re-election process to weed out dead weight or control?
    Great post - and I was only sharing what I have experienced. All organizations have growing pains - and as long as they continue - the pains continue......as long as you grow.

1) I like the button concept if it is possible (that's a tech issue).
    2) Personally, I do believe Board records should be kept and they should be published without names attached to votes. These should be a summary and not a copy of emails and the like. Do we have a Secretary??? Or even officers for that?
    3) Endorsement of Charitable Events is fine. Maybe we could have a page for Charitable Organizations ~ with a representative for each being a GCM member who is involved with the specific group. Many of us would have other groups beside Relay to suggest for our memberships' support. I can think of quickly - Vic N Cheryl's JD Foundation, my Penobscot County Conservation Association, Mary's The Komen Race for the Cure, Cache Maine's The Lafayette's Family Foundation (for the Cancer Center), Martes has mentioned several and there are many more. Certainly this could be worked on and some compromise arrived upon to help all.
    4) More diversity would be good and probably more Board members. Our Conservation club has historically had over 10 (and an odd number to break a tie vote) for a pretty consistent 250+ membership. If GCM has over 2000 members - we definitely should have more.
    5) There is a process - it is posted and is on the website to read......or it was. The re-election process was discussed just before the new board was elected. Sometimes you have to did into history to find the answers but I believe it is there.

I was at the "organizational" meeting a number of years ago. Many of the active people on here were there (thanks for hanging in and all you do) and we have many new ones (and growth is wonderful). So many things which have happened in the growth of this organization! Many very good things - and bumps in the road too.

Organizing information such as the board election process so it is more easily found might help. Perhaps with some tabs or pinned threads at the top of things might help. There are a number of topics, questions are asked about, where this might be helpful. I have found it helpful in the GC.com forums.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    2) Personally, I do believe Board records should be kept and they should be published without names attached to votes.
    And why you would want to not know who voted for what? How would you know whether the person you voted for is representing you?
    All board votes MUST, I'm not saying should, I'm saying MUST be public with their names attached, why do we even need to discuss this?
    All board activity must be disclosed to public WITHOUT having to ask.
    All issues should be disclosed to the forum BEFORE board members vote on that issue, so it can be discusses with more people, having more opinions.
    All votes should be posted right away, we don't need to wait for some newsletter.

Nothing has changed since new board, board members are still lurking around doing who knows what like before.
    Moo

After reading all these posts, especially Hollora's new one and Dan's, and the private messages

I'm getting so tired of hearing this. This is ridiculous. We just went through an election. Only one of the old board was running. Where were you?
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    If GCM has over 2000 members - we definitely should have more.
    I saw that 2000 number on Dan's post, too, and wondered where that number came from. It appears there are 1886 registered users at the moment, and I suppose there are some who visit that don't register. However, I wondered how many of the registered profiles are "active". Easy enough to figure out since you can go to the member list and sort by last visit date. So, of the 1886 members:
    Just 278 have visited in the last 30 days
    300 in the last 60
    316 in the last 90
    360 since 1/1/11
    570 in the last year
    791 since 1/1/10
    1003 since 1/1/09
    and 883 that haven't visited since 2008 back to 2004.

I don't think this is a 2000 member organization.

Default My view

Just for the record: Two of us live in the Bangor area. Gary lives in Windham and Rick lives in Litchfield. That is quite a range of areas. Also we do have this forum on board progress. Granted it needs to be updated more frequently. I am getting from some of these posts that people forget what the intent of this advisory board was to be. And that was to be a sounding board for Rick in his day to day operation of the website. We have helped facilitate some positive changes, and yes there have been some disagreements and a member has resigned. Neither of which I am very pleased about. This is not my life nor should it be anyone else's.
    Happy Trails!

4) I would like to see other board members from a few other regions. You have the majority in the Bangor area. I think it's important to have diversity of area/region, and of walks of life.
    What other areas would you like to see represented? After Dan (from the Augusta area) resigned, we have 2 from the Bangor area, one from south-central Maine (south of Augusta) and one from the Kittery area. I think that's a pretty good representation. True - no representatives from northern Maine, but we currently don't have anyone from that area who is really active on the site. The current members (and I'm including Dan in my comments) are all well known (all attend GCM.org events regularly so are very visible - people know who they are), and are very active in the GCM.org forums. What more could you ask for?

I think geocaching experience and the ability to contribute to GCM.org is far more important than demographics...
    Last edited by brdad; 05-11-2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Missing quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Just for the record: Two of us live in the Bangor area. Gary lives in Windham and Rick lives in Litchfield. That is quite a range of areas. Also we do have this forum on board progress. Granted it needs to be updated more frequently. I am getting from some of these posts that people forget what the intent of this advisory board was to be. And that was to be a sounding board for Rick in his day to day operation of the website. We have helped facilitate some positive changes, and yes there have been some disagreements and a member has resigned. Neither of which I am very pleased about. This is not my life nor should it be anyone else's.
    Sheesh! Very well stated, Brad! As an active participant in the establishment of the Advisory Board (and I was a very vocal advocate of the term "advisory"), I know that it was never expected to be a "board of directors", or anything like that. There was never any intent to have formal meetings, produce minutes of those meetings, or hold formal records votes. It was meant to be an informal advisory group to help Rick.

Re: Making site data readily available

After the site was updated, Rick and I added the Geocaching Maine Info widget on the right side of the front page. This widget contains links to your donation status, Site Leaders which lists who are the moderators/administrators/board members/etc., Advisory Board guidelines, Geocaching Maine User Agreement, and our Mission Statement. If there is anything else that is site-related that anyone thinks should be there, feel free to speak up. Perhaps we should have a link there to the board progress thread, but if there are any updates they can always be found in the News from the Board members forum.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-11-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    What other areas would you like to see represented? After Dan (from the Augusta area) resigned,

I think geocaching experience and the ability to contribute to GCM.org is far more important than demographics...

What happened to Dan? I didn't know anything about him resigning. Is he still active here on the site? Sorry to see him go.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.