vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolest Cache Containers

Thumbs up Coolest Cache Containers

I am always looking for ideas and here are several that we have found that were unique. Micro -- chapstick container colored like a battery, we looked three times and found it each time but did not realize it until I pulled it apart.
    Small container -- PVC pipe in the ground with a screw top in a busy city park in Nashville, you unscrewed the top and there was the container in side. Regular Container -- rock in a rock wall that was hinged and hollow, hit it with my hand and just did not feel right. Large container was a fake outhouse where the cache was the inside, peoples cards all over the wall and that is where you sign on a list on the wall.
    We hate mindless caches placed in the woods without a reason, nothing but the cache in a plastic bag on a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Explorer
    I am always looking for ideas and here are several that we have found that were unique. Micro -- chapstick container colored like a battery, we looked three times and found it each time but did not realize it until I pulled it apart.
    Small container -- PVC pipe in the ground with a screw top in a busy city park in Nashville, you unscrewed the top and there was the container in side. Regular Container -- rock in a rock wall that was hinged and hollow, hit it with my hand and just did not feel right. Large container was a fake outhouse where the cache was the inside, peoples cards all over the wall and that is where you sign on a list on the wall.
    Man oh man . . . someone makes a comment about never hearing from NE and then KA-ZAM new posts all over the place . . . it's good to hear from you NE and your caches are very much appreciated . . . in fact I'm hoping to do a week trip or so to the County in August or September for the dual purpose of ATVing and geocaching.

Incidentally (to keep this topic on track) Hiram when are you going to release your special cache container (I don't want to give away any hints about it here so I won't mention anything about it.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Northwoods Explorer : I am always looking for ideas

Perhaps not quite on topic (more related to functionality than form), but...

I've recently started looking into various alternative containers for my letterboxes (yeah, I know, many in each community consider the other a bad word, even though both groups do basically the same thing ), and discovered a whole world of interesting online sources of containers - And they cost far less than buying an ill-suited food-storage container at retail (though most sites have minimum orders that would keep you well-stocked for a decade ). Last winter really ripped all my boxes to shreds for some reason (despite its mildness - weird), and I wanted to replace them with something more durable and watertight.

From seeing how various containers fared, I've noticed that except for ammo cans (far bigger than I want), peanut-butter jars (made of PET) seem to keep their contents totally dry right up until they weather and crack. So I started from there...

It would appear that HDPE would make the best material, but no one seems to make it in the right shapes for caches or LBs (widemouth bottles aplenty, but no straightwalled low profile containers - Though I suppose for some of the largest caches you could get suitable HDPE containers). Failing that, I decided to try a batch of 24oz polypropylene straightwalls with a 120/400 lid (foam lined) for my current replacements. They should have the sealing qualities of a peanut-butter jar, with quite a lot better resistance to the elements and physical stress than PET. I'll see how they fare this winter.

I recently saw some on eBay that were different kinds of bugs...about the size of a larger dragonfly (that being one of them). From the pictures, they seemed to be painted very well and you could just clip them to a branch with their "feet".

If you don't want to buy any off of eBay you can sure get some good ideas there.
    "When I get back I'm bringing a weedwacker and a stun gun!"

The coolest container I have seen so far is Downtown L/A III - Railroad Park by Gob-ler. I don't want to spoil it by saying what it is.

The coolest placement I have seen so far is in Minnesota. It's a shelf built onto the underside of a dock. You have to lie down and peek under to get the ammo box.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

Default Totally Tubular

The "Totally Tubular" series in Seattle were totally awesome! I had never seen anything like it! Each PVC pipe was set up in a way that you had to know some physics (or get lucky), some electronics, or some other higher thinking skills to figure the dang things out. The guy was is a genius! My engineering son-in-law was impressed. Did I solve them all? NO!

One of the most innovative containers we've seen was in a small park in front of a rural municipal office building. It had a small gazebo, 3 benches, and flowers. It also had a bird feeder hanging from a wrought iron pole. Now imagine where the cache was...

Brdad's Battleship got me!

There is a cache in CA that is hidden inside an acron, I did't find it, but I will next time.

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    Brdad's Battleship got me!

There is a cache in CA that is hidden inside an acron, I did't find it, but I will next time.
    I don't want to give anyone any ideas, but since we often see small/micro caches in evergreen trees, I'm waiting for the first one in a "pine" cone! LOL!

Default I've got the pine cone!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I don't want to give anyone any ideas, but since we often see small/micro caches in evergreen trees, I'm waiting for the first one in a "pine" cone! LOL!
    I'm planning on using a pine cone on one of my problem cache locations. I do not want it to be hard and will post a pic on the page as a spoiler. I want to encourage reading the cache page and need to hide it better from muggles.