vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Appalachian trail caches

As far as leaving no trace, I always try to take an unorthodox path far away from a cache (when I leave) instead of the easy trail out so as to make it as challenging for the next cacher to find. When I get to within 50 or 100 feet of a cache, I carefully observe for evidence of disturbance to find a cache. This technique dosen't work at places like "Stacked on the Stillwater" or "Battleship". Your 'on your own' when you get there.
    What; Me Worry?

I think you do a good job of LNT on your Nightmare caches too if you ask me......lol
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

wbdent As of right now the following caches are on the AT in Maine. Bemis, Fallen arch, Sights to Bewhole(mystery puzzle cache), Twister Sister Cedar Stump, Old Speck Specticle(unavailable).
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I think Geocache
    is probably on the AT as well - depends on how wide the ROW is at this point. You have to go up the AT to get to it...

Bruce I think you have this cache confused with another one. The closest this cache is to the AT in a direct line is 8.5 miles.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Bruce I think you have this cache confused with another one. The closest this cache is to the AT in a direct line is 8.5 miles.
    You may be right. I know there was one cache which we had to literally just step off the trail to find - in that area - but I can't seem to find it now. Maybe it was archived...

OK - I found it - it was "Fallen Arch", which has already been mentioned.

I have done some research on this and if you follow geocaching.com's rules you are not allowed to place caches on the Appalachian Trail. There is not variations to it. The answer is NO.
    Blazing Troll

What exactly is the "right of way" for the appalation trail? We just did fallen arch, and it's a actually a fair distance (apx 200') from the trail. You don't even have to go on the trail to get it if you bushwhacked from parking (apx. 550'). Of course, caches placed like this, if they were off the right of way of the AT, would have to have permission from the owner of the land it is on. Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    What exactly is the "right of way" for the appalation trail?
    The trail corridor varies quite a bit. I'd call my dad (he laid out most of the corridor in Maine) but he's overseas giving some trail guidance in Lebanon. (They want to build a national trail system, beautiful mountain ranges if you can avoid getting blown up)
    I think in narrow areas (abutting private lands) there is a minimum of 100-200', but in areas where encroachment would affect the views it can be 1/4 mile. Again, I'm just remembering stuff on his drafting table from the late '70s/early '80s, but I know it varies dramatically.

Did I just see your Dad on the news? Praise the Lord he is out of there safe and sound if so! God Bless him!