vb:literal>

Thread: Questions about the dakota 10

Default Questions about the dakota 10

showing my lack of knowledge about GPSr's I have two questions that I hope someone may be able to help me out with. (1 ) how many geocaches can you load onto the Dakota 10? and (2) if I need to, how do I delete a cache once it has been found or I just want to get it off the GPSr? thanks for any info anyone can give me.

They hold 2000 caches, and if it is done like my Oregon to remove caches you connect to your computer and do it from there. It connects up as an external drive. You just go under Garmin>GPX>(and whatever database you named the previous load). Then you can bulk delete it and reload fresh. You can not delete one at a time. They let you mark them as found, but they stay on until deleted. Hope this helps.
    Happy Trails!

I have the Dakota 10 and I believe that it will only hold 1000 caches.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

A quick peek at the Garmin website shows SRS was the winner of this quiz. Brad, more homework for you and maybe next time you'll win.

Ummmm... kev....

Dakota 10 / 20
    2000 gpx files (each gpx file can contain a mixture of waypoints, geocaches, routes, and tracks)
    1000 waypoints (when the gpx file containing a waypoint is deleted, the waypoint is no longer available on the unit) .
    2000 geocaches (when the gpx file containing a geocache is deleted, the geocache is no longer available on the unit)

Why is it Garmin so readily lists how many waypoints a particular GPSr can hold, but you have to dig and search to find how many geocaches it can hold?

So, by reading this, my take on it is that you can never have more than 2000 caches, but if you have them all entered as individual GPX files, you could delete them one by one (but probably still not directly from the unit). But I could be the third responder who wasn't 100% accurate.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-14-2011 at 06:04 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I was too correct, I said in the beginning of my statement that I took a quick peek. I didn't dig for 20 minutes.

Wasn't trying to win anything Kev. Just trying to help a cacher. Got my info from Garmin's website.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Wasn't trying to win anything Kev. Just trying to help a cacher. Got my info from Garmin's website.
    I jumped too quick at the chance to pick on you. A quick glance at the website didn't divulge the info you and Dave had to dig (apparently) to find.

thanks for the info. I did figure it out with your help sending me in the right direction.