vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Acts 2:38

It would be interesting to see if groundspeak had any opinion on that. There are fair amount of promo advertisiments in caches for other venues...think of all the ads that McDonalds gets with the toy items. The find is the fun for me...not so much the contents as it is in many cases a tnln .
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

We seldom take anything from a cache unless it's a signature item or pathtag or something really cool. Hard to find something really cool very often however.

Quote Originally Posted by UMainah View Post
    I noticed Acts published another batch of high quality finds.

Curious, do the caches fall under this section of the Groundspeak guidelines?
    Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    The caches do need to meet the guidelines in effect when published. While the reviewers do review the cache page listing, they do not visit each cache and examine the container. If you believe the cache page has issues to address, contact the reviewer that published the cache, usually listed as the first log entry. Concerns regarding the cache contents should be directed to Groundspeak. http://support.groundspeak.com/index...=kb.page&id=93

Okay, I did it...contacted groundspeak for clarification. Here is my email:
    We have a person in our local area, placing geocaches. The name is Acts 2:38 and his or her caches are clearly in violations of 4. Solicitation and Commercial Content
    Geocaches do not solicit for any purpose. Geocaches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is intended to be a light and enjoyable family-friendly hobby, not a platform for an agenda.
    Every cache of theirs that I have done, which is all but 2, have contained mulitple brochures that are marked Calgary Apostolic Chuch and are antagonistic to other lifestyles and other religions that are not pentacostal beliefs. The Acts person is now including mini cds of religious material as gifts inside the latest caches, and leaving caches that look like trash (ie. Spagetti sauce bottles) outside of churches (non apostilic) that are no longer on in active service but are on the National Registrar of Historic places. I would be very surprised if this cache http://coord.info/GC33TF9 was given permission to be placed. There were perfectly maintained grounds, a wedding took place there today and I was embarrassed to be a cacher to see the spagetti jar stuck in the shrub outside the churches main entrance.
    Here is a copy of their response:

Thank you for writing in. The solicitation and commercial guidelines refer to the cache pages. Users can place any family-friendly items in the cache container that they like. There is no soliciting or commercial information on the cache GC33TF9 Union Meeting House, thus it was allowed to be published. Some may argue that this cache may not be the most interesting to find, but it is allowed.
    Thank you for your concern.
    Happy caching,

Nicole
    Community Support, Groundspeak

Okay guys, go ahead and shoot me for expressing my views, but we have our answer from groundspeak.
    Last edited by brdad; 09-14-2011 at 06:14 PM.

That is great that you contacted them and we have an official response. Saves a lot of "I think"s
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    That is great that you contacted them and we have an official response. Saves a lot of "I think"s
    No it doesn't. I think you spoke too soon. <------See? There's an "I think" in there. And, on a more serious note, I think if it is questionable that a cache has been placed in a location *WITHOUT* landowner permission it would fall upon cachers finding it to point this out in their logs and maybe in a note to Maine Reviewer.

If this is such a problem, instead of creating a problem where one may not exist, contact the property owner or manager to find out for sure.

I don't believe this is a problem. It is kind of like driving by a church, if your not interested in what is inside don't go in or read the propaganda.

The permission issue is supposed to be one of the top criteria for caches, but that seems to have been ignored for the most part recently.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I just learned from Charron that she found questionable 'literature' in my caches and that the booklets are the same as what are found in a certain person's caches, who we are discussing here. My caches have not been logged by this person, and it could be another cacher moving lit from one cache to another but looking down the list, I have my doubts about that. Can someone go around filling up your caches with 'religious' lit, and not log them? Anything I can do about this? I doubt it, but if it continues to happen, I will shut down my caches as I in no way wish to promote that particular lit and its hate and anger or have it in any way associated with who I am and what I stand for.

I think archiveing your caches is over reacting. How about contacting Acts and asking them directtly. I have had contact with them and they seem reasonable.

Also I would not think that anything I found in a cache was directly attributed to the owner of the cache unless it was listed or referenced in the description of the cache. I find that stuff in a lot of caches. It is not in there when I leave.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

We haven't found any religious tracts or literature in any caches yet. I'm sure that will come about eventually. I'd only remove it if it were promoting things I think are beyond the pale. I have, however, removed other objectionable or inappropriate items. I have also removed candy and liquids to keep animals out and to keep the cache from becoming a nasty mess when the liquid freezes and it's container bursts. Feminine hygiene products are incredibly inappropriate and I remove them immediately. I think cigarettes are just plain ignorant to put in a cache. Oh yeah, forgot to add, live ammunition. So far I've removed two .22 rounds and one 9mm. Ummm, why would you put live ammo in a cache?
    Last edited by JustKev; 10-04-2011 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Left something out.

Wink Nothing to get upset over....

I will fully agree with both Mike and Kevin on this subject. Take the stuff out and let it go at that. No need to take it any further. You really don't know how the papers got there so there is no one to point the finger at anyway. And then just keep saying. It's only a game, and really nothing to get upset about....
    Happy Trails!