View Poll Results: What one item do you hate to see in a cache as SWAG?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Candy

    7 24.14%
  • Kid's Meal Toys

    0 0%
  • Bubbles

    2 6.90%
  • Food - ie: popcorn or chips or roast pork

    12 41.38%
  • Other (if you choose this , please let us know what that item is)

    8 27.59%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: June Newsletter Poll

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,059

    Default

    Anything smelly has to be the worst, and food will always smell to an animal. And who would dare eat it?
    Several people use to put a lot of air fresheners in caches, those were horrible.

    Trade up! Don't remove anything from a cache unless you trade up! Well, unless it's not acceptable in a cache or it's damaged beyond use. Take a business card, leave a sig item or pathtag!
    Last edited by brdad; 06-10-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Actually, I think not...nor is it in bad form to remove other inappropriate items...but that is JMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Business cards and religious pamphlets are my least favorite things. Would it be in bad form if I removed such things?

  3. #13

    Default

    Ive seen two different dangerous items in caches that I dont care for as i occasionally cache with my kids. Lighters don't belong in caches...especially those that I thought were supposed to be illegal to sell in Maine because they look like toys. (I must be wrong on this actually becoming law as I've seen all sorts of lighters at places like Walmart and Reny's that look like little fishing poles recently out with the grills and BBQ supplies.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade, Maine
    Posts
    953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Business cards and religious pamphlets are my least favorite things. Would it be in bad form if I removed such things?
    I think that would be a very grey area. The business cards seem to be making a leap in some caches, a couple we found recently were full of business cards for the CO's business. Does that constitute a commercial cache? If a cacher visits a cache and places his business card in the cache......hmmmmm, that looks like trolling to me. I have seen them but just left them there. That one would come down to a call on the subsequent cacher's thoughts - remove or leave, it's up to them.

    As far as the religious tracts go, I don't see where it's really right to remove them just because you don't agree with them. I think it would be better, if you know a particular CO is placing them in his/her caches, to just ignore those caches and not do them. I know we shouldn't discuss religion or politics on the forums but does that extend to caches? I don't recall seeing any guideline stating those types of things shouldn't be placed in caches.

    There's my $.02 worth.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Default

    Kev, the pamplets are appearing in other folks caches...like mine for example. I have a great deal of respect for folks with strong religious values, but I'm not sure religious pamphlets should be placed in every cache a cacher with this inclination finds. If it comes down to somebody saying they have the right to do so under the First Amendment, then why not advertize strip joints, gun rights, legalizing marijuana or the office of Joe Boringstine? What would you say about having any of this is one of your caches, I guess that's the point and the question posed by the poll. I personally don't feel it's appropriate.




    Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    I think that would be a very grey area. The business cards seem to be making a leap in some caches, a couple we found recently were full of business cards for the CO's business. Does that constitute a commercial cache? If a cacher visits a cache and places his business card in the cache......hmmmmm, that looks like trolling to me. I have seen them but just left them there. That one would come down to a call on the subsequent cacher's thoughts - remove or leave, it's up to them.

    As far as the religious tracts go, I don't see where it's really right to remove them just because you don't agree with them. I think it would be better, if you know a particular CO is placing them in his/her caches, to just ignore those caches and not do them. I know we shouldn't discuss religion or politics on the forums but does that extend to caches? I don't recall seeing any guideline stating those types of things shouldn't be placed in caches.

    There's my $.02 worth.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    [x, y, z, t]
    Posts
    668

    Default

    I just got an automatic notification that the cache containing my travel bug has been archived because somebody took a **** in it for a second time, so they won't be restoring the cache.
    Moo

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    I just got an automatic notification that the cache containing my travel bug has been archived because somebody took a **** in it for a second time, so they won't be restoring the cache.
    Not sure there's an attribute for that! That really sucks! Where is this cache located?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade, Maine
    Posts
    953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Kev, the pamplets are appearing in other folks caches...like mine for example. I have a great deal of respect for folks with strong religious values, but I'm not sure religious pamphlets should be placed in every cache a cacher with this inclination finds. If it comes down to somebody saying they have the right to do so under the First Amendment, then why not advertize strip joints, gun rights, legalizing marijuana or the office of Joe Boringstine? What would you say about having any of this is one of your caches, I guess that's the point and the question posed by the poll. I personally don't feel it's appropriate.
    I misunderstood where you were saying you were finding them. In those cases, kinda like the door knockers (the ones that want to talk religion or politics with you), I think it's inappropriate. I wouldn't, personally, take it upon myself to remove the pamphlet in a cache I found. If I were to find one placed in one of my caches, I would probably remove it as not really pertaining to geocaching and not really something I want in my cache because what and how I believe in isn't necessarily what others may believe and I wouldn't want them to think I was pushing something on them.
    Last edited by JustKev; 06-12-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Add more info

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Niskayuna, NY
    Posts
    601

    Default

    I hate to see anything that goes in your mouth or any kind of liquid in a cache. You never can tell the condition of any food item and liquids freeze cracking the container leaaving a soggy mess when temperatures warm up.




    A house is not a home without a cat.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rockland Me
    Posts
    436

    Default

    I don't understand why anyone would think candy or food is appropriate to put in a cache. Who knows where the food has been, how old it is, or how safe it is?? Who dares to eat ii? Who wants to spend a nice caching day in a candy argument with a child that finds it? I will take it out just so that an animal does not damage the cache. There have been some great listings here of other things just as bad or worse, imho. Good poll.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •