vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Canada?

Default Going to Canada?

RULOST2? and I rcently returnefd from a 10-day caching trip to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Since I know some of you are going to the event on campobello this weekend, I wanted to comment on our border crossings.

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!

We entered through Calais, normally one of the toughest places to cross, and returned through Woodstock/Houlton. On entering, we were asked the usual questions: how long you going to be in Canada, do yo have any alcohol/firearms/PEPPER SPRAY/MACE, etc. Didn't even ask us for any identificastion.

On the way back, we told them where we were from, that we were US Citizens, that's we'd bought a case of beer at the duty free, and they didn't even ask us for identification either.

So, bottom line, if you look like an American tourist, you'll probably be treated like an American tourist. Unless you have shifty eyes, like ATTROLL...

We're probably going to Quebec in a week or two, so we'll report on another border crossing when we get back.

I cross the border almost weekly over here. I cross in either Ft Kent, Limestone or Fort Fairfeild. Never have any problems going in, its comming back where they search sometimes and ask for ID, etc. PS, I learned when I go caching in Canada I just tell the border I am going shopping. It gets real old telling them exactly what your do and why your leaving something in a spot and taking something, because this is "illegal" Just my 2 cents! Next time your in the neck of the woods, shout me a line man!
    Jordan
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Cyr
    Next time your in the neck of the woods, shout me a line man!
    Jordan
    Hmmm... Any cachces in your area? LOL!

We're familiar with the Limestone area since our older son spent 2 years at the Maine School of Science and Mathematics. Great area and worth another visit.

Default campobello crossing

i have been to campobello a bunch of times. only lately has it been more interesting. a few years ago, several of my friends and i went and had no problem getting onto the island. just had to say where we were from, nothing else. coming back into lubec was a nightmare, however. one of my friends is from norway and living here with her husband (a mainer). she told the customs guy that she had a resident alien card and he didn't hear her. he literally jumped out of that booth and demanded to know why she was trying to get into the country. our little "weegan" was almost in tears, and at that point, i was trying to figure out who i could possibly call to get us out of jail. (i figured that my sons would just tell me what i always told them - if i couldn't stay out of trouble, i would just have to sit in jail for a while.) there were 2 guards and they thoroughly searched my car and finally decided to listen to my friend and let us go.
    the next trip to campobello, my car was searched on the campobello side but not when i came back into lubec. (i wondered if they took turns on different days or something) the last time, i wasn't searched at either side. go figure! never have had to have any more than my driver's license. usually jsut tell them where i'm from and that's it.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    We're probably going to Quebec in a week or two, so we'll report on another border crossing when we get back.
    Where in Quebec are you headed? Hubby and I just went over June 17 to 19th. Did a really neat cache while we were up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Geochicks
    Where in Quebec are you headed? Hubby and I just went over June 17 to 19th. Did a really neat cache while we were up there.
    We're probably going on an overnighter on Monday - RULOST2?'s worek schedule is a limiter. But, Sherbrooke is only 3 hours, so we can get in a day of caching as well as some shopping. And a "donair" for lunch! Finest kind! LOL!

We also saw that there are bunch of new caches in the Megantic area we want to get.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    We're probably going on an overnighter on Monday - RULOST2?'s worek schedule is a limiter. But, Sherbrooke is only 3 hours, so we can get in a day of caching as well as some shopping. And a "donair" for lunch! Finest kind! LOL!

We also saw that there are bunch of new caches in the Megantic area we want to get.

We actually went out to Quebec City and met up with some Central Canadian friends, and did a cache about a cannonball stuck in a tree from Late-1700s. Just a bit of history stuck in a tree...

I am going to Campobello with four of my children this weekend hoping to find some caches. I went two years ago (before I knew about geocaching) and had no problems at the border. This time I am bringing birth certificates. I have a bunch of cache information printed out.....I am new to this and it makes my head spin. How do you organize a day of caching.............obviously a map comes in handy right?

Thanks for the welcomes.........

Quote Originally Posted by covefarm
    I am going to Campobello with four of my children this weekend hoping to find some caches. I went two years ago (before I knew about geocaching) and had no problems at the border. This time I am bringing birth certificates. I have a bunch of cache information printed out.....I am new to this and it makes my head spin. How do you organize a day of caching.............obviously a map comes in handy right?

Thanks for the welcomes.........
    RULOST2? and I plan ahead when organizaing a caching trip. We have Delorme's Street Atlas USA on the computer, add the waypoints from a pocket query download, then print maps of the areas we're going to visit. Certainly makes planning the stops better.

Glad to see someone else who prints out the GCs and maps. Yes I do know I'm retentive but I like having 3 ring notebooks of caches sorted by area of the state. They are kept in a big plastic tub in the back of the truck. Never know where you will be and the urge to cache hits. We're going to initiate an old friend in caching Monday. He lives in N. Sandwich NH. Was thinking there wouldn't be many caches over there but in a search on his zip code, found 20 within 10 miles of his house.

Maybe it's an aging thing but the old memory just doesn't keep the cache names, locations and all the details on the 72 found. Summer company is coming and its easy now to look back through the GC page printouts to refresh the memory and find caches good for either a 6 or an 86 year old.

Anne
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe